V6 needs timing Chain - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

V6 needs timing Chain

Car with 96000 miles for 5000.00 looks like a bargain for someone to fix the timing chain. If someone is looking for a cheap V6.
2009 Pontiac G8 Base Sedan | used cars & trucks | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji

K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 08:53 PM

Hi there. I bought this car. Got him down to $4200. Started on the chain replacement last night, just waiting for the kit to come right now. Engine had a bit of sludge buildup in the camshaft bays that i am somewhat concerned about. The timing chain cover and chain area was fairly clean as well as areas in below at the pan. Needs brakes and a bit of bodywork and it'll be in top shape!

Last edited by Cburkholder; 06-15-2016 at 05:20 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 10:42 PM

Pal, you're a lot braver than me, I wouldn't have touched that car with an 11 foot pole. But I am far from mechanically inclined.
That being said congrats on the new purchase, get her running again.
There was another G8 owner who when doing his chains had the same sludging in the cam shaft bays problem, with a good cleaning apparently the engine now runs problem free. Last owner probably never changed the oil and used cheap oil. I only go with synthetic oils in my V6.
I think the tread was named: Ashamed and Disgusted, theres a picture of the mess in the bays.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 05:28 AM

I just read that thread last night. Mine is nowhere even close to that. That is unbelievable. The drivers side cams are normal for 155,000 km, the passengers side has a bit more. I plan to get out what i can and run very frequent oil changes in the first while to clean it out as well. The owner did his oil at 15,000 km.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:50 AM

If I read it right 80,000k between oil changes, small wonder its in that shape.
Good luck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cburkholder View Post
Hi there. I bought this car. Got him down to $4200. Started on the chain replacement last night, just waiting for the kit to come right now. Engine had a bit of sludge buildup in the camshaft bays that i am somewhat concerned about. The timing chain cover and chain area was fairly clean as well as areas in below at the pan. Needs brakes and a bit of bodywork and it'll be in top shape!
Let us know how things worked on this car.

K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 04:15 PM

Hi folks. I finished the engine work on it tuesday evening and it fired right up. Engine runs great. I put a dealer plate on it and drove it for about 150 km to work out any bugs i could find. It needs a lower steering shaft and also a passenger presence module for the airbag system for it to pass safety and then it will be on the road! Right now i have about $5500 in it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 04:19 PM

Here is a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.8 KB, 12 views)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 06:58 PM

Great news, money well spent to get that G8 right and back on the road.
Will you have the safety done in time for the Niagara meet on July 10th, be great to see it out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page