Thoughts on this car? - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Garage
I have to agree with others. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least drive a V8 GT.

Of course, this is your money and your decision. And, ultimately, you're the only one that should have any say in what you eventually want to purchase. But, make sure you make an informed decision. As others have pointed out, there are good condition GTs out there that are probably very close to your price range. The gas mileage difference between the two (V6 and V8) is pretty negligible. And, although the base V6 is a perfectly serviceable car and a good family hauler, the V8 GT will put a smile on your face every time you drive it. It will be a good family hauler and a fun car to drive. Plus, if you ever are so inclined, there is a lot you can do to a GT to get even more fun out of it that just isn't possible (or would be ungodly expensive) on a Base.

Again, your decision. Buy what you are comfortable with. But, there's a reason so many here are encouraging you to at least consider a GT.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2009 SRM Premium and Sport Packages, Kooks 1 7/8" LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Cat-Back, Pat G Tune, CTS-V Brembos, RotoFab CAI, GXP Diffuser, Holden SS Steering Wheel, Holden Omega iQ Head Unit, VG Sharkfin, Homelink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDemonMSG8GT View Post
Do yourself a favor, drive a V6 and a V8. Do NOT buy until you have driven both. Your decision will be very simple. Take your time to find the right one.
Excellent point.
I never drove a V8 prior to buying my V6, that being said perhaps its best I never did so I didn't know what I was missing.
Anyway GT's were rare and expensive up here at that time so I brought what turned my crank and what I could afford with no regrets.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:03 AM

My advise is this ,Take Your Time ,Slow down and take a Deep Breath ,You can find a great G8 V6 or V8 In your price range that's in great shape at a good price. Trust me on this I've done it both ways and patients pays ! It took me 7 months to find my first one and 6 on the next one not including making the deal . Welcome to the club we all have THE FEVER.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 06:27 PM

I've driven both a V6 and the GT and there really is no comparing the performance difference. With that being said, if I had been smart I would have waited and gotten a V6 as my daily driver since I already had a GT. The V6 has the looks and won't beg to be modded for more performance.

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to get that one in Houston is everything checks out with it. I don't want to spend all my money on a G8. I want to have some just in case money. If I get the v8 and something happens with it or my truck then I have know way of getting them fix.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:04 PM

Do what you are comfortable with, we can all sit back and pontificate (word of the day, try to use it all day) about what you could/ should do but a the end of the day your the one who has to live with the decision.
I haven't ruled out picking up a GT one day, there's even a GXP floating around up here that is extremely interesting but I just like my V6 too much....and kinda maxed out for parking around here....
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I found this one, but something has to be wrong for it to be this cheap.
https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org...120169907.html
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:02 AM
every village has one

Who knows? Might be worth a look. Any local members that could help you check it out?
I think you're getting closer, and the right one is gonna come along.

Buying a used car can be like being in a bar at closing time. Sometimes it's just better to go home alone
BAS G8 likes this.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchr49 View Post
Who knows? Might be worth a look. Any local members that could help you check it out?
I think you're getting closer, and the right one is gonna come along.

Buying a used car can be like being in a bar at closing time. Sometimes it's just better to go home alone
Baaaaaaa true you don't want to " ride the moped "
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:54 AM

I recently rented a Commodore Wagon in New Zealand. Now, I knew it was a V6 because it was in the rental fleet, but at one point I popped the hood just to confirm. The V6's are surprising good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page