? for TX dealers: 3 month registration? Srsly? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Very long member

? for TX dealers: 3 month registration? Srsly?

This question is for TX buyers and dealers:

Is there a TXDOT rule/policy that will not allow dealers to procure a 12 month registration on a used car if the car in question was still 3 months or more out from the old registration expiring?

Context: I bought my used 2009 G8 a few weeks ago on June 9th (it was originally purchased and registered in Oct '09). When the dealer sent me the plates a registration I found that the new registration they provided me expires on 9/10 (3 months from now) and the inspection expires on 10/10.

It's been 12 years since I bought my last used car in Texas, but should'nt the new registration they provide be good for a year? I was charged for it so what's the deal? I called and they told me that since they were still >3 months from the old regitration expiring that TX DMV/DOT wouldn't provide a full renewal.

Is this BS? Any truth to this? How about the inspection? Shouldn't that be good for another year?

Thanks in advance to any help you may be able to offer so I know what course of action to take.

Danimal,

2009 MSM No roof G8 GT. *SOLD*
2001 Blue BMW 540i 6M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Location: She's got a heart, as big as Texas, but so is her ass.
I bought my 2009 G8 used from a dealer in San Antonio as well (Mission CJ&D) I waited 2 months to get my tags and when I did, they expire 12/2010, I bought the car at the end of March, I thought that was odd as well. I bought a beater 2004 Colorado from a company that was going out of business and when I went to the tax office to registar it, they gave me the option to renew for a whole year or just the remaining time left on the sticker, if I remember correctly it didn't cost anything because the taxes were already paid for a year, I just paid to change the title over. The dealer might have took that option to save them some money, but I'd look over your contract and find out what you paid for and question them about it. If you paid for it, make sure you got itThey billed me for a state inspection that was not performed and a few other "packages" that I never signed for, they did make it right when I questioned them about it though. all and all they ended up overcharging me just under $1000 and I got it all back. Good luck..

2009 G8 GT LR Premium, Sport, Roof, Onyx/Red, Rotofab, Kooks LTH and catted x-pipe, centercap mod, soon to be tuned my me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Very long member

Thanks lspower, I checked the sales contract closely and there's noting specially stating what they would do for the registration renewal.

I'll work on getting them to refund the $$ I spent toward their registrations efforts.

I'll post back with what I find out.

Danimal,

2001 Blue BMW 540i 6M

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Run Red Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
This question is for TX buyers and dealers:

Is there a TXDOT rule/policy that will not allow dealers to procure a 12 month registration on a used car if the car in question was still 3 months or more out from the old registration expiring?

Context: I bought my used 2009 G8 a few weeks ago on June 9th (it was originally purchased and registered in Oct '09). When the dealer sent me the plates a registration I found that the new registration they provided me expires on 9/10 (3 months from now) and the inspection expires on 10/10.

It's been 12 years since I bought my last used car in Texas, but should'nt the new registration they provide be good for a year? I was charged for it so what's the deal? I called and they told me that since they were still >3 months from the old regitration expiring that TX DMV/DOT wouldn't provide a full renewal.

Is this BS? Any truth to this? How about the inspection? Shouldn't that be good for another year?

Thanks in advance to any help you may be able to offer so I know what course of action to take.
As far as the inspection goes, when it is performed, it is good for a year as is evidenced by the expiration date on the inspection sticker. But, in Texas, the first inspection sticker on a new car is good for two years from the date of the inspection. So, if the current sticker expires on 10/10, the car was first inspected by a dealer during October, 2008.

I have no idea about the registration.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Very long member

Update.

After sending an email to the General Manager of Service, I promptly received a check for the full amount the dealership (over)charged me for the registration. No note of explanation accompanied the letter so I'm left to assume they srcrewed up or intentionally charged me for a service they did not provide.

Nice work stealership...

FYI- To hell with Clear Lake Dodge in Clear Lake, Texas.

^^^This will be the first this I tell anyone about this dealership.

Dan out.

Danimal,

2001 Blue BMW 540i 6M
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:50 PM

I bought mine on July 20th from a Ford dealer here in Austin. The car only had an inspection sticker on it when i got it, so I don't know when the registration was good for. I got my plates late last week and they expire 09/10. Yes that's right, barely one month from now.

I checked my invoice and they only charged me $4.80 for registration which is approximately one month's worth if memory serves. They said it was there policy not to charge for 12 months of registration unless you request it. I've bought 5 cars from dealers in the last 2 years and this is the first time this has happened. Very strange if you ask me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page