2009 G8 Basiv V6 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

2009 G8 Basiv V6

2009 G8 Basic, asking 24,114. With 16,500 miles. Was able to talk them down to 26,000 OTD. However there is only one key dealer will not compliment the order and new programming, puts the price up to 26,292.38. Dealer won't budge anymore on price or give any other incentives except full tank gas and a complete vehicle detail. The car does have the upgraded blunkpudt (sp.) stereo and speaker system. That is really as far as I know the only upgraded feature.

Is this a deal or not? What else should be asked for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Batmobile in Disguise

I bought a 2009 G8 with all the options and 50miles on the odometer...$22k...I would look for a GT.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 AM

That is a horrible deal. I paid that much for my GT new from the dealer.

09 Stryker Blue G8 GT 435/405 Cam, Full Bolt-ons, 3200 stall, Camaro diff, Pedders Suspension, Tuned by Frost
02 SS #510 M6 440/400, 585/592 100 shot Sold
98 Z28 M6 cam/boltons 395/377 Sold
73 Z28 Neverending project

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:18 AM

i agree that price is way to high. i paid 28500 for my NEW 2009 gt with 9 miles on it and plastic still on my seats. i'll sell u my gt for 35k it only has 9000 on it
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Garage
Guys,

Don't forget, used car prices... due to residual C4C (not to mention increased demand for a discontinued model line like the G8 in general) are sky-high currently.

I bought my 'stripper' GT for 20k even, not including trade, not including down payment. March 2009 was the best month for new g8 incentives... as it was just when GM announced Pontiac's demise.

Given that that is a base V6 G8, I'd see if you could get him down a few $ k more. I've seen GT's with 20k miles going in the 24-26k range recently, so thus, base V6's would be a bit less.

Hope this helps!

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:40 AM

I bought my 09 GT w/ everything on it with only 5k more miles than that for $23,500 just 2 months ago now. No way I would pay that much for a base V6.

If you really want to buy the car, take them examples on Ebay, AutoTrader, other cars in the area that you might find with similar options or even find the GT ads out there and bring them in. They can see quickly how crummy of a deal they are offering.

2009 SRM GT w/ Sport, Premium, and Roof
- Kooks LT's, SOLO Mach Unbalanced, HFC Midpipe
- RotoFab CAI & Rad Cover
- Custom PCM & TCM tune done via HP Tuners
- 19" Breyton GTS-AV, Hyper Silver, Continental DWS, 14" Brembo's
- DDM 5000k HID's / 68 LED Fogs
- Suede subwoofer and amp enclosure in trunk
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Update

Found another car exactly the same for 22,400 with 6k mileage. Both dealers are competeing for sale at this point. There is only one G8 GT in my area asking 30,000 and 28k miles. I'm wanting the V6 for the fuel economy. So the V8 GT dsnt get horrible mileage but isn't what I'm really looking for. And for some reason I'm Leary of buying from a private seller, found one for 21,500 with 17k mileage highly optioned V6. Still contemplating. Ohh and now both dealers are including two keys at dealer cost.

With all this in mind Deal or No Deal?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengedOne View Post
Found another car exactly the same for 22,400 with 6k mileage. Both dealers are competeing for sale at this point. There is only one G8 GT in my area asking 30,000 and 28k miles. I'm wanting the V6 for the fuel economy. So the V8 GT dsnt get horrible mileage but isn't what I'm really looking for. And for some reason I'm Leary of buying from a private seller, found one for 21,500 with 17k mileage highly optioned V6. Still contemplating. Ohh and now both dealers are including two keys at dealer cost.

With all this in mind Deal or No Deal?
You're getting better.

The fuel economy arguement isn't valid, the GT gets between 1-2 MPG difference with it's AFM that shuts down cylinders not in use when cruising. Now if you're not into performance and don't plan on modding the car, then by all means, if you think a V6 is ideal for your needs, then go for it.

good luck on the hunt, sounds like you're a little more in the range of what you can expect to pay. Be glad that you didn't "jump" on that 26k car at the beginning.... that would have been a ripoff.

All GT's have the better radio and leather wrapped steering wheel, however there's option packages in the V6's that seem to make a bit of a difference. The base V6 cloth has a blocky radio and HVAC display (this is due to the single zone climate control option) that I personally did not like, but others may not mind it. I believe if you get leather seats in your V6 G8, it will come with the dual zone climate controls and the better radio and just a cubby hole at the top of the dash, but I'm not 100% sure.

but in any event, just be sure to test drive the cars you're considering and consider the options or lack thereof and try to determine if they will potentially be a problem or annoyance down the line, during your ownership of the car. For this reason, I excluded the manual HVAC optioned V6 that I test drove locally, and went with the base "stripper" model GT.

Good luck!

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 AM

zep when u say stripper do u mean no lthr and no roof? so just a stock v8 beast? i liked the cloth interior in the red and black but they didnt have any v8s just 6s at the time i went...
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

I don't plan performance mods on the V6 if I got a GT then I'd entertain the idea. And EPA website does state the V8 diff 1-2mpg. V6 17-25 my test drive got 22mpg combined. V8. 15-24 and I have not driven one. What are you V8 owners getting combined? And the only GT in the area is 30,000 for 28,000 miles. Thanks again.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Ohh and now both dealers are including two keys at dealer cost.
That's quite an audacious deal, given that you're supposed to get 3 keys total (fixed key, flip key, and glovebox key) with the car. GM included the 3 keys with new cars and every dealer must include them with every (even used) car. But really, they're truly very generous.

'09 MSM G8 GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - since 9/18/08
Performance: Roto-Fab CAI; Corsa catback; VMS Tune; DBA 4000 slotted discs; Hawks Performance Ceramic pads
Interior: SAS/GTPprix Digital Gauges; Interior trim by CAA; Homelink-visor; Blendmount/Invisicord mounted V1/Dashhawk
Exterior: 3M 20% CS Tint; TSS custom darts; splash guards; Roto-Fab engine bay; Klearz sidemarkers; Spencers 5000k lows/3000k fogs
Misc.: Billet Prototypes catch can; full V-LEDs LED swap
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez0nance View Post
That's quite an audacious deal, given that you're supposed to get 3 keys total (fixed key, flip key, and glovebox key) with the car. GM included the 3 keys with new cars and every dealer must include them with every (even used) car. But really, they're truly very generous.
Thanks for that tip Idk they came with three, I am new to this car and am blind as far as options available and equipment features. New job requires me to travel the state of Illinois and I need better fuel economy than 14-17mpg that my Durango gets. Any info will greatly help me.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deiz29 View Post
zep when u say stripper do u mean no lthr and no roof? so just a stock v8 beast? i liked the cloth interior in the red and black but they didnt have any v8s just 6s at the time i went...
Yep, I prefer the look of the twinspoke v6 rims anyways, so no need for 'sport' for me. As far as leather, I had fully decked out leather in my 1997 bonneville SSE way back in the day and it grew old fast. It had like 9 different switches for adjusting the seats, electronics were cool, but the leather was so uncomfortable I decided then and there to try out cloth, and my past 4 cars I've enjoyed cloth more than leather.

Yep... base GT I guess you could call it. MORE MOD MONEY! lol Cloth interior, upgraded radio (standard on GT), leather wrapped steering wheel (was a biggie for me, I donno why, I just hate those molded plastic steering wheels) and some go-power under the accelllerator pedal.

I'll be honest, had I priced out a sunroof, premium, sport GT, it'd be out of my price range at the time, so I went with what I could afford. Really beat the dealership down on their gaff about Bluetooth (they first admitted my car had it, then when it came in without, they were backpedaling) .... and I think I got an awesome car for 20k, new. Still the 'stripper' model that I have has plenty of bells and whistles... I remember an old 1985 cutlass that I used to drive as a winter car had manual window cranks. lol that car was a beast. Anyways, I digress. My stock 18" GT rims are my fugly winter rims (good purpose for them, imo) and my 18" V6 rims are my summer and fun rims. Other upgrades were afforded by me getting such a great deal on the car in the first place, so I can't complain.

Quote:
I don't plan performance mods on the V6 if I got a GT then I'd entertain the idea. And EPA website does state the V8 diff 1-2mpg. V6 17-25 my test drive got 22mpg combined. V8. 15-24 and I have not driven one. What are you V8 owners getting combined? And the only GT in the area is 30,000 for 28,000 miles. Thanks again.
The big problem is that a lot of the V8 guys get the "horsepower bug" ... where it's never fast enough. You get a mod, then you start planning the next mod. I did that pretty heavy for a while, and I'm up to about 425hp at the crank of my GT. I've cut myself off for now, I'm happy where the car is at and am reluctant to change anything. With that level of performance though, I've shut off DOD for most of the time, so real world mileage I get between 16 and 18mpg tank to tank, manually calculated. Mods are in my sig. Had I not done the mod game and kept the car stock and DOD enabled, I used to get an average of 23mpg or so on my mostly highway commute with a fairly heavy foot. Not that I speed, but I like to get up to speed quickly... and that accelleration does cause the fuel mileage to drop.

For someone who wants a car that has the looks but doesn't need as much performance, I would think a v6 would be adequate. Geesh, I traded in a 2001 front wheel drive grand prix gt with a 3.8L iron block V6 ... and although I flogged that car everywhere I went, it had adequate power for most people, as it was a very popular car in it's day. I found a deal on a 6L V8 car and I went for it, and never looked back. My V8 powered G8 is hands down the best car I've ever owned.

Good luck to the OP with the V6... be sure the test drives check out... and do as much research ahead of time that you can. This board is a great resource for that!

Sorry about the novel, folks.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Knemo-schwine-aie-he-how

There is a dealership very close to me selling a Red G8 GT with sport & premium packages for $28k (asking). Only thing it doesn't have is a sunroof and red leather. They had a grey one with 9,000 miles for the same price, which had everything but red leather, and that thing sold in 2 days. They're going to put the LR into storage in a month so I'm sure they're going to jump on any deal they can find before the deadline.

Still, 26k for a V6 is outrageous. Private sellers around here are offering 25-26k for their (usually lightly modded) GT's with similar miles.

Last edited by lowstrife; 10-13-2010 at 01:21 PM.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that tip Idk they came with three, I am new to this car and am blind as far as options available and equipment features. New job requires me to travel the state of Illinois and I need better fuel economy than 14-17mpg that my Durango gets. Any info will greatly help me.
My post wasn't meant to reflect on you, I was just making a comment about the ridiculousness of some dealer sales practices.

I mean what's next, telling you that they'll give you a totally unheard of deal by throwing in an engine when you buy the car?

Performance: Roto-Fab CAI; Corsa catback; VMS Tune; DBA 4000 slotted discs; Hawks Performance Ceramic pads
Interior: SAS/GTPprix Digital Gauges; Interior trim by CAA; Homelink-visor; Blendmount/Invisicord mounted V1/Dashhawk
Exterior: 3M 20% CS Tint; TSS custom darts; splash guards; Roto-Fab engine bay; Klearz sidemarkers; Spencers 5000k lows/3000k fogs
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Batmobile in Disguise

Quote:
I get as high as 31 in the highway. If I can do this again...I would get the GT...but the G8 will be the wife's next year...so I don't want her having V8 power cause she has a lead foot lol
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez0nance View Post
My post wasn't meant to reflect on you, I was just making a comment about the ridiculousness of some dealer sales practices.

I mean what's next, telling you that they'll give you a totally unheard of deal by throwing in an engine when you buy the car?
No harm no foul I need to know theese things so I can get them in my deal. I appreciate the info. I understand it wasn't a slam on me.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
No harm no foul I need to know theese things so I can get them in my deal. I appreciate the info. I understand it wasn't a slam on me.
Cool

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I yam what I yam

V6 makes a great commute car and is still quite peppy. I've driven mine across 4 states and back overnight. Very comfortable car.

As for options in the V6, you can get the comfort and sound package which is the upgraded stereo and dual climate HVAC, leather seats that are 6 way adjust (premium package) and a sun roof. I have all but the leather in my '08.

Brand new sticker was 29K and I got it for 27K with the rebates back in '08 before all the deals started coming around with the demise of Pontiac. So 26K for a base line V6 is no deal.

My Rides:

'12 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R Spec Titanium Gray 5.0L 429 HP. Lovin it.

'08 Magnetic Gray Metallic Sedan. V6, Sunroof, Comfort and Sound package. Debadged, GT Rear Tail Lights, Tinted windows, 35% rear, 50% front. Royal Purple oil and K&N oil filter. (GONE Lemon Law)

'06 Harley Roadglide.
95" kit w/ custom heads and 50 mm TB. 101 HP/ 104 TQ.Lot's of custom body work as well. And it's Built by ME.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 PM

If they tell you its Bluetooth equipped make sure its in writing and or they show it to you functioning. Many dont have it and many more salesmen arent aware of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page