Test drove an 08 GT today... your thoughts please! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Test drove an 08 GT today... your thoughts please!

Hey guys, well back in May I started a thread introducing myself and trying to get familiar with the Pontiac G8 and this board ( https://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...705&highlight= ). As you can see, I wasn't and still am not rushing to buy a car! lol. But anyway, I test drove a 2008 G8 GT today with less than 28,000 miles. That was quite a fun experience. Now I'm just wondering if some of what I experienced is normal.

For starters, the transmission felt like it shifted a bit hard, and I actually had the thing wide-open on a highway on ramp for a little bit and it chirped the tires quite nicely going into 2nd I believe. Now the firm shifting doesn't bother me much, but what does bother me is the potential compromise in the transmission's longevity, considering that the G8 will be my daily driver year-round. I wonder if this has something to do with the transmission issue some of the 2008s suffered from.

There was also a noticeable drone inside while cruising down the highway at around 70-80 mph. It wasn't terrible, but it'll probably become a little annoying on the longer hauls. Is this normal?

Other than that, I couldn't have been more impressed with this loaded car. However the salesman insisted that the thing was bone-stock except for window tints and rain drip guards on the windows. The shifts however, told me that the transmission had been worked on and that the drone might've be the result of aftermarket exhaust (although it was pretty quiet while idling on the lot if I remember correctly).

Here's the ad for the exact car I drove:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Oh and I thought I'd mention that the salesperson told me that with some haggling and my trade (1994 GMC Jimmy), the price could probably come down to $22,200 from what the ad says. Sound good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 PM

Not completely sure about the exhaust, but it looks aftermarket. I do not believe the OEM exhaust has a drone.

Where you feeling the hard shifts with the car in sport mode or Normal mode?

2008 White G8 GT
Kooks 1 7/8 Long Tube Headers, Kooks Catted X-Pipe, Kooks Catback Exhaust with single 3" tips, SLP UDP, Volant CAI & AMSOIL filter, BMR stuff
351hp / 370tq via Dynojet (Before 2012 changes)
2012 changes - Yank Converter, DSS 1 piece Driveshaft, Forgestar F14 Staggered

AMSOIL
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 10:20 PM

Stock exhaust is whisper quiet. Won't drone at all so if it is then it is aftermarket.

Sent from my EVO 3D

SBM G8 GT '09 Premium + Sport Packages
1 of 1,111
2010 GONE Best Stock G8 GT
2011 GONE Best Mild Mod G8 GT & Fastest Stock G8 GT
Mr. April 2011
2012 GONE Best Mild Mod G8 GT

LR G8 GT '09 Premium + Sport + Sunroof
1 of 2,717

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:19 AM
****cray

sounds like it may have a tune on it
and some sort of exhaust. if you go
back and look under the car where the
muff cans are, you should be able to
tell pretty quick if its aftermarket.

jzpiano is right on, these cars are uber
quiet from the factory.

jason

02 powerstroke - slightly modded
04 gto - stroked
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:46 AM

If it's shifting firm and chirping the tires, it has a tune...stock tranny tune is very soft shifting...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Garage
Ask the dealership that's selling it if they can coordinate with a pontiac dealership to return it to the factory ECM and factory TCM tunes, should be able to be done in most cases. Have this part of the negotiations phase, and re-test-drive the car after the stock tunes are reset and verify it cannot chirp. You're right, that could have an effect on longevity on the tranny if was not responsibly done, and you have no idea what the previous owner did.

Then you can start from square one, and consider a superchips or other tune option when it is right for you.

Just my $0.02

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
Ask the dealership that's selling it if they can coordinate with a pontiac dealership to return it to the factory ECM and factory TCM tunes, should be able to be done in most cases. Have this part of the negotiations phase, and re-test-drive the car after the stock tunes are reset and verify it cannot chirp. You're right, that could have an effect on longevity on the tranny if was not responsibly done, and you have no idea what the previous owner did.

Then you can start from square one, and consider a superchips or other tune option when it is right for you.

Just my $0.02
I agree, some people get to aggressive with tuning things themselves i would work the deal but tell them you want to take it to a GM dealer to reflash the TCM and ECM. Hard shifting while good for power is terrible for the trans. That is how i blew out the rear end on my truck, learned that lesson the expensive way. Trust me their is no drone on the stock exhaust, look under the car. If you dont see two giant oil drum mufflers it's not stock. if it is stock you will barely see the heat shroud mounted to the car.

2009.1 SBM/Onyx GT Premium/no sport/no roof, Kooks LTH, catted mids, Dynomax axlebacks, custom cam, Precision triple disk 2800, camaro deep trans pan kit, Cadillac STS/CTS 7-spoke rim, Speedhut Can Bus gauges, series II IQ NAV, Fore fuel system, built trans, BMR goodies. D1 Procharger, forged OE block. So much more stuff I could probably live in a mansion if i didn't own this car!
Bought it here:
https://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46541
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 PM

got to have a tune.

Last edited by zepcom; 08-11-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: no
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 AM

Looks like Borla or Magnaflow tips, with the rolled edge. Stock GT tips don't roll over.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Grey Metallic 1/4 [email protected] (10/06/2012) (SOLD - Dec. 05, 2013)

2008 Saab 9-7x Aero - Carbon Flash Metallic: (SOLD - Mar. 15, 2015)

2015 Chevrolet Silverado - Deep Ocean Blue Metallic:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 AM

If it's AFM drone, the only way to get rid of it is to tune it out. If it's the dreaded 1800rpm drone, then J-pipes should fix it. Sounds like the car is modified. I agree with having the dealer make sure the tunes are reset to stock. Or ask them to lower the price.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 AM

it has the atari gauges too

2009 WH GT
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Sarcasm Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJJoeG8GT View Post
it has the atari gauges too
2008's came with those...

2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page