Certified or Private Seller? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Certified or Private Seller?

They both have their advantages.

Certified has a decent inspection done and an extra 12yr/12K mile warranty, but you have to get it from a dealer which means a few grand more on the price.

Private Seller is often cheaper but if you're away from home you don't have your regular mechanic to give it a look over.

I'm leaning towards CPO only because I don't mind driving a couple hundred miles to get a good car. I drove 3 1/2 hrs, one way, to get my Suburban because it was a much better deal than I could get up here in Michigan.

So which way would you go if you had to get one used? I know many of you purchased new...

Thanks,
-Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 05:59 PM

I'd probably find one that was being given up by an enthusiast due to a hardship.
Not only would I be helping out a fellow brother, I'd be getting a car from someone who shares a passion for making sure the car was taken care of.
They wouldn't give me a sales pitch.
Instead, they be telling me things I need to hear in a langauge I can understand and relate to.

That doesn't answer your question exactly but I guess you could put me in the category of private seller.
A select private seller.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I s'pose you have a point. There's some on Autotrader.com that look pretty good, one guy even says he can't afford the car anymore after being laid off work.

-Bob

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:21 PM

bought mine from a member of this board, he was in a pinch wanted to sell quick i had cash. deposit friday, paid monday, title got to me wednesday, flew out friday night, picked it up and drove it back from denver Saturday. I felt very confident buying my car from someone that people knew on this board. plus my payment was being sent direct to his bank. saved a bunch since the local dealer wanted and still wants $29,000 for any g8 they have on the lot. ended up friends on facebook i give him regular updates on the mods the car has now.

2009.1 SBM/Onyx GT Premium/no sport/no roof, Kooks LTH, catted mids, Dynomax axlebacks, custom cam, Precision triple disk 2800, camaro deep trans pan kit, Cadillac STS/CTS 7-spoke rim, Speedhut Can Bus gauges, series II IQ NAV, Fore fuel system, built trans, BMR goodies. D1 Procharger, forged OE block. So much more stuff I could probably live in a mansion if i didn't own this car!
Bought it here:
https://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46541
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM

I'm in the same boat. Not have much luck finding a G8 GT anywhere close to me for what I want to spend. I look everyday. Only a few that are certfied that are around $21-22K. These are all 300-500 miles away. I'm picky about how a car has been maintaned and most of the G8's that are at dealers are rough with no service history. I hate dealing with salesmen... Oh I work at a GM dealer and can't get a good deal. Go figure.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM

I would have to lean towards a private seller, preferably one that you can trust and can get some good information on the car from. A dealer is usually selliing hundreds of different models and has limited information on a G8. A private seller that has service records and information on the vehicle is much more valuable than a dealer just looking for a sale. IMO most G8 owners take great pride/care of there car and a forum such as this is a great start to find the G8 you are looking for...so I would have to lean toward the private sale...plus you're likely saving a couple thousand dollars over most dealer sales! Good Luck!

2008 G8 GT (MGM)
35% Front Tint/5% Rear Tint (150)
Pontiac Logo Floor Mats (52.64)
Pontiac G8 Chrome License Plate Frame (38.75)
20" Camaro Rims/Solstice Center Caps (438)/(21.79)
Continental Extreme Contact DWS 245/35/20, 275/30/20 (800.27)
GXP Rear Diffuser (140.36)
GXP Front Bumper (750)
Roto-Fab CAI (286)
Leather Shift Knob with Logo (105)
DBA Street Series Slotted Rotors (350)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page