Don't buy my lemon - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
I yam what I yam

Don't buy my lemon

I just turned in my '08 MGM G8 to Bunnin Pontiac in Oxnard, Ca. It's a lemon with engine problems. Don't buy it.

VIN 6G2ER57708L124895

My Rides:

'12 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R Spec Titanium Gray 5.0L 429 HP. Lovin it.

'08 Magnetic Gray Metallic Sedan. V6, Sunroof, Comfort and Sound package. Debadged, GT Rear Tail Lights, Tinted windows, 35% rear, 50% front. Royal Purple oil and K&N oil filter. (GONE Lemon Law)

'06 Harley Roadglide.
95" kit w/ custom heads and 50 mm TB. 101 HP/ 104 TQ.Lot's of custom body work as well. And it's Built by ME.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 09:57 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOST

Did you trade it in or did you just turn it in under the lemon law?

2009 Cadillac CTS-V | Crystal Red Tintcoat | Ebony
KPE Catback | Airaid Cold Air Intake | Tuned by Kaltech Tuning and Performance

2013 Mustang GT | Sterling Gray | Saddle | -- Sold (7/31/14)
Stuff | 550 RWHP

2009 G8 GT | Stryker Blue | Onyx | -- Sold (8/3/13)
Giant cam | 4200 Coan Stall Converter | ARH Headers | Other stuff | 440 RWHP
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:00 PM

How does the Genesis compare to the G8? It always seems to get dinged for bad ride and handling on rough pavement.

2009 G8 GT, premium, sport, sport red metallic
Roto-Fab CAI
MagnaFlow 16887 Street Series cat-back
Superchips Cortex: Rotofab 91 Octane, 25% TM, AFM off
and splash guards (that look better than dirt)

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Northeast G8 Owners Club

His car was a v6. So really can't compare to a gt. Returned under lemon law.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
I yam what I yam

Returned under Ca. Lemon Law. Thread about it in the V6 Tech forum.

As for the R Spec, Love it. 429 HP 5.0L. ride is no worse than my G8. Stock for stock will out run a GT. Has all the bells and wistles to boot. Both the wife and I like it better than the G8.

My Rides:

'08 Magnetic Gray Metallic Sedan. V6, Sunroof, Comfort and Sound package. Debadged, GT Rear Tail Lights, Tinted windows, 35% rear, 50% front. Royal Purple oil and K&N oil filter. (GONE Lemon Law)

'06 Harley Roadglide.
95" kit w/ custom heads and 50 mm TB. 101 HP/ 104 TQ.Lot's of custom body work as well. And it's Built by ME.
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Northeast G8 Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post

As for the R Spec, Love it. 429 HP 5.0L. ride is no worse than my G8. Stock for stock will out run a GT. Has all the bells and wistles to boot. Both the wife and I like it better than the G8.
I have a gt. Raced against the r spec. Left him in rear mirror. You had a6cyl. Can not compare it to a gt. Good luck with your new car.
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:

You turned in a g8 under the lemon law and bought a Hyundai? I don't get it.... Hope you kept your lemon law attorney's phone number.

You could've bought 2 used bolt-on gt's for what you paid for that Hyundai and you and your wife could both crush an r spec. And you'd you look better doing it. And you wouldn't have to tell people you drive a Hyundai. And you'd still be a part of an incredible g8 owners community.

I had a 2011 4.6l genesis as a company car and, when it wasn't in the shop waiting for parts from Korea, I hated that thing. The interior looked just like an elantra except with nicer plastic. Seriously, though, don't drive an elantra, you'll think you're having dejavu.

Best of luck to you and your Hyundai. I hope I'm wrong and you love it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2009 PBM G8 GT SOLD....
GO: TVS1900 w/2.9" pulley and LS9 injectors, Camaro 3.27's, OBX lt headers, Magnaflow mid-muffler, Solo axle-back, tstat, Eibach lowering springs, tuned to perfection by Patrick G.
SHOW: TSS arrowheads, black Holden window trim, tinted tails/side markers, 15% tint, Flat black 19's, Painted calipers, 6000k HIDs lows/highs/fogs.

502rwhp/512rwtq
11.49 @ 121.13 (at 464rwhp/464rwtq)

post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Northeast G8 Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC Justin View Post
You turned in a g8 under the lemon law and bought a Hyundai? I don't get it.... Hope you kept your lemon law attorney's phone number.

You could've bought 2 used bolt-on gt's for what you paid for that Hyundai and you and your wife could both crush an r spec. And you'd you look better doing it. And you wouldn't have to tell people you drive a Hyundai. And you'd still be a part of an incredible g8 owners community.

I had a 2011 4.6l genesis as a company car and, when it wasn't in the shop waiting for parts from Korea, I hated that thing. The interior looked just like an elantra except with nicer plastic. Seriously, though, don't drive an elantra, you'll think you're having dejavu.

Best of luck to you and your Hyundai. I hope I'm wrong and you love it.

It is what it is... A hyundai.. Not a bad car.. LOL. I agree with you . Nice lawnmower
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
I yam what I yam

Sorry you feel that way about Hyundai. I did too years ago. But they have turned around. I'm happy with my decission and stick with it.

And I'm not comparing my V6 G8 to the 5.0 R Spec. My other car was a 600 HP 383 stroker. So I have an idea what speed/acceleration/torque feels like.

Good luck with your G8. I did like the car in the begning but way to many problems with it and GM would not stand behind their product so time to move on. I don't se the same happening with the Hyundai. times have changed. And there are the same type of communities on other forums for others cars. The G8 forum is not unique.

Oh and if you look in the kill section you will find that a modded Gt had a hard time with a R Spec so not sure about you leaving like you said , unless your not stock.

My Rides:

'06 Harley Roadglide.
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 02:32 PM

I was in traffic next to a new Genesis and noticed at the light that they had no taillights on/brake lights - nothing. Their entire exterior lighting system was non-functioning. Packed with 5 people.

I had to tell them to take that pile back, their brake lights, everything, DEAD. That could've been a nasty accident. Had CA plates on it.

Not something I'd ever buy, especially after Hyundais poor treatment to a friend of mine on his showroom fresh Tiburon at the time.

Faster than a GT? Right...

2014 Chevy Cruze
2013 Chevy Avalanche
2009 Pontiac G8
2009 Saab 9-3 Combi
1988 Volvo 740
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
And there are the same type of communities on other forums for others cars. The G8 forum is not unique.
Good to know... Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

2009 PBM G8 GT SOLD....
GO: TVS1900 w/2.9" pulley and LS9 injectors, Camaro 3.27's, OBX lt headers, Magnaflow mid-muffler, Solo axle-back, tstat, Eibach lowering springs, tuned to perfection by Patrick G.
SHOW: TSS arrowheads, black Holden window trim, tinted tails/side markers, 15% tint, Flat black 19's, Painted calipers, 6000k HIDs lows/highs/fogs.

502rwhp/512rwtq

post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Oh and if you look in the kill section you will find that a modded Gt had a hard time with a R Spec so not sure about you leaving like you said , unless your not stock.
Right...

If you are ever in San Antonio and want to try a bolt on gt, I've got a couple buddies who I'm sure will run you. Or you could try me- and my build is still about $10,000 less than what you paid for that Hyundai.

2009 PBM G8 GT SOLD....

502rwhp/512rwtq

post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
I yam what I yam

This was a simple thread to warn others of a lemon with a bad engine. Nothing more.

I'm sorry you guys decided to drag it down to something else.

My Rides:

'06 Harley Roadglide.
post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 PM

Why all the hate? If my G8 bit the dust, I'd want another spacious RWD 4 dr with a powerful V8. Rather than shell out 70k on a Cadillac, I'd be tempted by the Genesis. There just aren't that many affordable choices anymore.

2009 G8 GT, premium, sport, sport red metallic
Roto-Fab CAI
MagnaFlow 16887 Street Series cat-back
Superchips Cortex: Rotofab 91 Octane, 25% TM, AFM off
and splash guards (that look better than dirt)
post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaFromFL View Post
Why all the hate?
Probably his assertion that his r spec will out run a gt, or his 15 posts on various threads ranting about how much he hates gm, or saying that the g8 community is "nothing special," or that his Hyundai is more reliable than a g8.

More power to you if those are your opinions but if you want to post that stuff in a g8 forum you have to expect some blow back. Move on and post it on a Hyundai forum and you'll probably get a good welcome. Here you'll just get people rolling their eyes.

2009 PBM G8 GT SOLD....

502rwhp/512rwtq

post #16 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Sarcasm Personified

I hate GM too, you gonna @$%% all over me too? The G8 will be my last GM ever because of their service. Was looking at an Acadia Denali and realized that it would be the same all over again. I bought a 2011 Nissan, and my next vehicle I'm getting this year or early next will either be the Flex Ecoboost, or Durango R/T. Got something to say about the quality or being in the shop? At least they stand behind their products unlike GM, who just brushes you off. Sorry your panties are in a bunch, but let go. You sound like a child who doesn't get his way.

2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
post #17 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Wow. I saw a GM product with it's brake/tail lights out the other night. Guess they are all unreliable pieces of crap as well.
Personally I like the Genesis. Can't beat the warranty. And maybe thems that buys them aren't interested in outrunning G8's. Maybe they just want a decent inexpensive car with good power.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #18 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I hate GM too, you gonna @$%% all over me too? The G8 will be my last GM ever because of their service. Was looking at an Acadia Denali and realized that it would be the same all over again. I bought a 2011 Nissan, and my next vehicle I'm getting this year or early next will either be the Flex Ecoboost, or Durango R/T. Got something to say about the quality or being in the shop? At least they stand behind their products unlike GM, who just brushes you off. Sorry your panties are in a bunch, but let go. You sound like a child who doesn't get his way.
Woah there buddy.... I didn't say he shouldn't hate gm, I'm not a fan that they took bail out money and dropped Pontiac- my next car probably won't be a gm unless they come out with something new. I'm still not going to blast multiple rants all over the board when I leave.

I simply disputed his assertions that his car could "outrun" a gt and informed him of my personal experience with a 2011 genesis.

Please don't "@$%%" on me for having a different opinion than you and chief.

Like I said, chief, best of luck to you and I hope I'm wrong and you enjoy the heck out of that Hyundai. Now let's move on...

2009 PBM G8 GT SOLD....

502rwhp/512rwtq

post #19 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Sarcasm Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC Justin View Post
Woah there buddy.... I didn't say he shouldn't hate gm, I'm not a fan that they took bail out money and dropped Pontiac- my next car probably won't be a gm unless they come out with something new. I'm still not going to blast multiple rants all over the board when I leave.

I simply disputed his assertions that his car could "outrun" a gt and informed him of my personal experience with a 2011 genesis.

Please don't "@$%%" on me for having a different opinion than you and chief.

Like I said, chief, best of luck to you and I hope I'm wrong and you enjoy the heck out of that Hyundai. Now let's move on...

Also from every auto magazine, not personal experience as I haven't run into one yet, a Genesis R spec is faster than a GT. Maybe you didn't run an R spec? Also everyone is entitled to their opinions, it's the way yours came across whether intentional or misread by me. I'm sure the quality of Hyundai is better than that of GM nowadays.

2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
post #20 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Senior Member Mike

Hmm wait till the 2013 Genesis Coupe comes out with 345 hp and 700lbs lighter than the G8. I had considered waiting and getting the coupe, but saw the G8 and had to buy it since it was low mileage and excellent condition....even with the quirks

2009 G8 GT - Premium and Sport Packages

Mods - Roto-Fab Intake, BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars, BMR RTAs, BMR Steering Rack Bushing, BMR Rear Cradle Bushing Inserts, and Cortex Tune. Summer set-up - 18x9.5 TSWs - Cooper 275/40/18 RS3-S, squared, LS3 Cam, Kooks Mids....and others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page