Pontiac G8 Forum banner

What's the better value? Modded GT or stock GXP?

7K views 68 replies 30 participants last post by  MGMGXP 
#1 ·
Both have similar miles and are about the same price. All other factors are relatively the same(as similar as two used cars can be that is). Same color too

modded gt would be at the upper end of the market price and the GXP would be at the lower end. That's how the prices can come close to approaching each other.

Modded GT is pretty modded. Headers, wheels, interior, tune etc.... GXP is bone stock.

#3 ·
Modded GT is pretty modded. Headers, wheels, interior, tune etc.... GXP is bone stock.
That honestly doesn't sound very modded, unless you are leaving out alot. I guess it depends on your long term goals. To me it would take a heavily modded Gt thats done and doesn't need any additional work, to buy over a Gxp.

#14 ·
I don't even consider my performance mods as 'heavily'. My appearance is heavily modded though, lol. Sounds like a Gxp would be better off for you especially long term and resale. I bought the Gt since I knew I could do alot of mods for the same price as a stock Gxp. I personally consider my car a bit more rare than a Gxp, IMO.

#15 ·
I bought the Gt since I knew I could do alot of mods for the same price as a stock Gxp.
+1

For the extra cheese spent on the GXP, you could get a turbo or SC and get a hell of a lot more HP out of it than going with a stock GXP.

I couldn't justify the price difference for lower gas mileage. I like what the GT offers and I don't really care about being the fastest on the street. However, I still like owning a car that can outrun most cars on the street though.:driving:.

#10 ·
It really depends on how you plan to use the car. If the GXP is a manual, and you prefer a manual, then that is the only way to go. The GT, especially modded, will perform close to the stock GXP. If both cars are automatics, then it comes down to what do you want.

#11 ·
Value is relative. If speed is important to you, you can generally find a modded gt that's much faster than a similarly priced gxp everything else being equal. If you value rarity then go for the gxp. If you want a stick, then the choice is obvious. If you want an intact warranty and you don't plan to mod, go for the gxp.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#13 ·
There was a white hot GXP auto for sale at just under $28k. About 37,000 miles.

It sold faster than the time it takes one to reach 60 mph. Congrats on the lucky owner. But this was an interesting topic and thanks for the replies. It's still very valid info regardless.

#18 ·
Once I run my 9 I may sell the beast for 40k$. Save up some more and buy it lol. Will have a brand new 420ci motor.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#22 ·
I have a modded GT that I bought new in 08 and the past fall I purchased a bone stock GXP M6. They are both low mileage cars. The GXP (12,000 mile) cost me $36,000.00 and I'm having trouble selling the GT (8,000 miles) for $28,000.00 with $10,000 in mods. I only bought the GXP for the manual and limited production. The GT is cammed and will kill the GXP. The GXP feels tighter but on the street you would realy have to push it to notice the difference. Now to answer your question if you don't care about the manual and plan on driving the car the GT dollar for dollar is the best bang for your buck.

#26 ·
So Jeff, did you buy a car yet?

#27 ·
Not yet. Hell I just had the chance to drive on for a short while before the dealer closed (Sat night). The experience mirrors most of the mag reviews (postive). But I didn't jump on it as the wife/kid/sales guy was in the car. The auto seems to shift sort of lazy though. But I had it in normal auto and not sport. That makes a diff right?

So far I like what they are about. The red lighted guages seem easy enough to read. (test drive was at night). Hard to tell if this was a good example/poor or ave. But it seemed to be well taken care of. It's bone stock.

I haven't settled with the insurance company for the G35 yet. Hell haven't even been in contact with them for the last week. I'm hoping for a decent payout so I don't have to lay out much cash. I'm doing no payments on this go around.

#28 ·
The auto seems to shift sort of lazy though. But I had it in normal auto and not sport. That makes a diff right?
It is one of the most complained about aspects of the programming of the tranny. Sport mode is a little better but it needs to be reprogrammed with an aftermarket tuner. Manual mode needs work as well.

#29 ·
People come up w/ this question alot...for obvious reasons. For me the answer is VERY easy, it comes down to whether or not you need a manual transmission. Now, since I bought my car new at the end of 2008, the GXP's were just getting on the lots. I test drove a manual GXP, an A6 GXP, and an a GT w/ sport/premium packages. The brakes don't matter to me since you can upgrade that as part of your regular maintenance (I did - see sig) and TBH, unless you're tracking the car the GT brakes are just as good performance wise ON THE STREET. The big deal for me was I simply couldn't justify the extra $10,000 at the time for a manual tranny...the auto GXP didn't blow me away enough vs. the GT so I got over it saved the money and bought the GT.

Now, the delta between used GT and used manual GXP has shrunk some, but not by much, so you gotta ask yourself is it worth the extra cash for a manual tranny...and believe, it IS the manual tranny that makes or breaks the car IMO, there are NO big, 4 door, RWD, reliable, V8 big power sedans out there w/ 6 speed manuals....NONE. Let alone "american" ones.

But for A6 cars, dollar for dollar the GT is the better buy every day of the week and twice on Sundays. You can match stock GXP performance w/ intake/dyno tune if you have a strong GT, take off the cats and/or add HFC's and/or add headers and you'll be slightly quicker than a GXP.

All that being said, if it were a $5,000 difference for the manual tranny and brembo calipers when I bought new I would have paid it, but anything more is too much, and in the used car market it really comes down to preference.

Stock for Stock, A6 to A6, mileage/color/condition all being equal, I would never pay more than $3500 for the GXP over the GT auto...that's more than enough $$$ to surpass it and when you mod the GT it becomes more "YOUR" car anyhow.

Oh and lastly, you mod the GT w/ say intake/headers/tune/brakes - now you got a GT that is faster than the GXP AND GETS BETTER MILEAGE - considerably, so keep that in mind too if it matters.

#36 · (Edited)
You can match stock GXP performance w/ intake/dyno tune if you have a strong GT, take off the cats and/or add HFC's and/or add headers and you'll be slightly quicker than a GXP.
Wow you can get an additional 55+ hp from a tune and CAI? :sneaky: Hmmm...

GT w/full exhaust/tune/intake, that gets you 400hp all day (at the motor), I see that setup being close to LS3, but I think its a stretch to think a tune/intake will get you to 415+ hp from the L76...if I'm wrong then that's a news to me, and definitely awesome for GT ppl!

lakemg said:
Tell that to the guys that have lost their whole motor because of a lifter failure. While there haven't been tons of guys losing their whole engine because of the failure, there have been a few on the forums. My recommendation is to do the swap before the failure. It's called preventative maintenance...

Yeah there's always those few unfortunate 'guys on the forum' that have been dealt a crappy hand, any make or model ever made by any OEM, ever!

Replacing perfectly functioning lifters because 'a few guys on the forum' had issues is not preventative maintenance, it's insanity...and I don't see many dealerships jumping at the chance to replace normally functioning engine parts under warranty.

Just because an issue happens to a handful of forum members does NOT mean there is systemic failure waiting to happen to everyone else...ppl fall into this belief way too often IMO (for the right reasons, we all love our cars) but the reality is for every failure there are MANY thousands of vehicles that will function normally through useful life...paranoia will destroy ya ;)

#30 ·
The big difference (though it was never worth the $10K) is the lack of DoD/AFM on the GXP.

This alone is a big hassle....especially when switching cams.

I am very nervous about the AFM valvetrain as my 5 months of warranty slowly creep up.

Looking back, I'd make the same decision and buy a GT. But if the spread was $5K (like it should have been), I would have went with the GXP in a heartbeat.

When you think about it:

1) The cost to produce an automobile with a manual transmission is CONSIDERABLY less money then to produce one with an automatic.

2) Actual cost of manufacturing a L-76 should be MORE then the cost to manufacture a LS3 (special lifters, solenoids, oil lines, CPU/TCM programming)

3) So that leaves the FRONT Brembo brakes....

#31 ·
I wouldn't be too worried about the DOD hardware a) when/if it does go - well then you get a new cam/lifters = power mod = more HP and more fun and b) I have nearly 80,000 trouble free miles on my L76 and I got those 80,000 miles averaging 19mpg, not 15, which is what it would have been w/ an LS3 and a 3.73 rear or whatever is in the auto GXP

#32 ·
I hear ya....

But sort of incorrect.

If it goes under warrranty (powertrain) they (GM) will only replace the DoD cam with another DoD cam.

I have 28K and I'd say I average very close to 19 and I have DoD tuned out!

#37 ·
GXP....
better gearing +500, shocks +350, rear sway-bar +50, brakes +500, forged 19" wheels +1500, rear lca outer joint +200, front fascia +500, rear diffuser +150, much better exhaust/mufflers +500, steering wheel +100, GXP on seat backs + 500, and has blue-tooth on all +200.

worse gas mileage. that is all.

If you add it all up the GXP is worth approx. +$5000 more than GT. Depends on if you agree with my values, which do NOT include instalation cost, and are subjective.

If you include the actual price of upgrades and install you well are over $7500.

#60 ·
GXP....
better gearing +500, shocks +350, rear sway-bar +50, brakes +500, forged 19" wheels +1500, rear lca outer joint +200, front fascia +500, rear diffuser +150, much better exhaust/mufflers +500, steering wheel +100, GXP on seat backs + 500, and has blue-tooth on all +200.

worse gas mileage. that is all.

If you add it all up the GXP is worth approx. +$5000 more than GT. Depends on if you agree with my values, which do NOT include instalation cost, and are subjective.

If you include the actual price of upgrades and install you well are over $7500.

I know this is way late in the game but I am bored at work so I will put my two cents in. Also it appears guys that dont have a GXP are not really understanding while downplaying why a10K difference is totally justifiable.
First off I bought a 2008 GT brand new in 08. After being on this forum I saw all the chatter regarding a GXP and all the upgrades (mostly the LS3 with a manual 6 is what got me). I had the money at the time so I put myself on a waiting list at three different dealerships in WA state and got lucky. I was specific and told them not to call me unless it was a manual. I do wish I would have just bought the GXP and kept the GT as well as the GT is a sick car!! So I am not hating on GT's BTW I love those things!!

Anyway everything listed above is correct for the most part but you did not mention other than saying a GXP "has worse gas mileage" (although it is common knowledge)
1.) It is an LS3 6.2li vs the L76. The powertrain difference is an expensive upgrade that comes with a lot of extra benefits for slightly less fuel economy.

2.) You touched on it but overall the suspension setups are quite different. The GXP has a FE3 suspension v the FE2 (not sure how you factored that difference to be just 500 bucks)

3.) The seats do not just have "GXP" on them. They are a completely different seat altogether much more performance driven then the GT. (not a 500 dollar upgrade)

4.) GXP logos are throughout and in the heads up display (small but cool detail)

5.) All of them came fully loaded with a Sunroof (I had to have one added onto my GT that was 2500.00)

6.) Steering wheel is way different and this is not a 100.00 upgrade.

7.) Having a GXP with a manual which is 1 of 800ish and also having the last and most powerful car Pontiac ever built is worth a few grand IMO.

#39 ·
Oh and I have driven about 8 of the regular gt in search of what I wanted but they really don't do it for me. Sorry. It's just not the same as the gxp. And since everyone wants 25 k for a used gt and I bought my gxp for 27k I think it's more than worth the money. From what I have seen the forged wheels better motor and better brakes make the gxp worth the cash. Other than that they are about the same. But from looking on cost of parts u will see that the gt costs a good amount of cash to upgrade. And ur still limited to the stupid afm heads. Plus which will hold value better gxp one of like 1800 or gt one of 20k?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.