09 Pacific Blue 39k miles - $23,500? Deal or no deal - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb 09 Pacific Blue 39k miles - $23,500? Deal or no deal

As u can tell for my other thread, I am on the market for G8 GT or GXP. My fiancÚ has a co worker who doesn't mind selling his 09 G8 GT. When she asked him about it, he mentioned the following:

1. He's the original owner. Bought it at the end of 2008. Stated he has Maintenace docs.

2. 39,000 miles - which isn't much since he's had the car for over 4 years now.

3. The only option it doesn't have is sunroof. Has all other items (Bluetooth, heated seats, onstar, aux) - sunroof can always be installed later on.

4. He just moved to California, the car has been in Texas and verified with him that it hasn't been driven in snow at all, no rust or anything.

5. The color is not my first second or third preference. I still have 4 months till marriage so not in a super big rush, but the pacific blue is starting to grow on me. It will look good with a different set of wheels and a little drop.

6. He asks 23,500, but I'm pretty certain I can get it for 21,500 to 22,000 if I pay cash.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by hgill02; 12-06-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM

PROS: He is the original owner, he has the maintenance records, not driven in snow, your fiance knows this gentleman and can probably speak to his character, the color (I believe you are referring to the Pacific Slate Metallic - PSM) is a beautiful color and much more rare. It will grow on you even more!

CONS: I don't know how passionate you are about the sunroof. For me personally, I'm leary about adding those kinds of aftermarket modifications. I know there are a lot of reputable places that can do it. But to me I would just want to find a G8 that already has an OEM sunroof. It just simplifies things.

SUMMATION: I would say low 20's is a good price for this vehicle with the mileage. A better deal for you then him. These cars have been holding their value well. A few more questions worth asking:

* Has the vehicle ever been smoked in?
* Has the car been in any accidents (major or minor)?
* Has the vehicle had any modifications?
* Has the car ever been to the track or raced?
* Has the vehicle always been garaged?

Then of course look at the car and drive it. I hope this feedback has been helpful

2009 LR A6 G8 GXP
#986 of 1829 produced
#60 of 81 as optioned
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode2Joy View Post
PROS: He is the original owner, he has the maintenance records, not driven in snow, your fiance knows this gentleman and can probably speak to his character, the color (I believe you are referring to the Pacific Slate Metallic - PSM) is a beautiful color and much more rare. It will grow on you even more!

CONS: I don't know how passionate you are about the sunroof. For me personally, I'm leary about adding those kinds of aftermarket modifications. I know there are a lot of reputable places that can do it. But to me I would just want to find a G8 that already has an OEM sunroof. It just simplifies things.

SUMMATION: I would say low 20's is a good price for this vehicle with the mileage. A better deal for you then him. These cars have been holding their value well. A few more questions worth asking:

* Has the vehicle ever been smoked in?
* Has the car been in any accidents (major or minor)?
* Has the vehicle had any modifications?
* Has the car ever been to the track or raced?
* Has the vehicle always been garaged?

Then of course look at the car and drive it. I hope this feedback has been helpful
Appreciate the feedback. I think the color will grow on me. I don't want to let go of a deal for the color. The sunroof I would like to have, but it isn't something I couldn't live without.

The car does not have any modifications on it and it hasn't been raced or tracked. He's an older guy who seems to take care of the car. I will know more details this Saturday when I go look at it in detail and test drive it. He ll be sending me the vin to run a Carfax on but he stated the car has never been in any type of accident and has no rattles or anything of that sort.

Any particular things with the G8 to look out for?

Should I have him take it to GM to have any inspection done prior to purchase?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Garage
If it's not a late model 2009 then it won't have factory bluetooth. You can add factory bluetooth to any model year G8 so that might have been what he did. Might want to check on if the car actually has bluetooth or not (if having bluetooth is an option you want).

I would definitely get a third party inspection on any car that you're buying used.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

I have been reading up on the shift tsb 2-3 flare that some people experience. Apparently quite a nightmare from the numerous threads on it, with very few happy with the fixes at the dealership. Should i even consider a car that may have a issue like that.

Also if i take the car in to GM for a pre purchase inspection, can they check for that?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgill02 View Post
Appreciate the feedback. I think the color will grow on me. I don't want to let go of a deal for the color. The sunroof I would like to have, but it isn't something I couldn't live without.

Should I have him take it to GM to have any inspection done prior to purchase?
Sunroof,factory or not, are problems waiting to happen. drains freeze, leaks, less headroom. Go for it. I wanted Striker Blue and there were one of every color at our dealer, but my wife liked the Pacific Slate and not only has it grown on me, I think it's the best color out there.

Ken's 2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT Pacific Slate Metallic -Premium
Rotofab CAI, Kook's 1 3/4 LTs, HF Cats, 3" X-pipe, GXP Mufflers, PLX WB O2 & Aeroforce gauges
Rick C Manifold/TB/LS3 valves/Little Lunati/Tune, BTR Spring kit, many appearance mods
VMR Solar Rain V701 Staggered 19x9.5+50 & 19x8.5+35, Hankook V12 285/35 & 255/40
Stoptech, HPS, 12.27 sec 114.6 mph 1/4, 1.96 60ft

Put Jesus Christ in the drivers seat
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
I have been reading up on the shift tsb 2-3 flare that some people experience. Apparently quite a nightmare from the numerous threads on it, with very few happy with the fixes at the dealership. Should i even consider a car that may have a issue like that.
An aftermarket tune will take care of the shift flare problem. . and make your car alot more fun to drive.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 AM

That is a good price, and the Pacific Slate is a beautiful color. Looks even better with a set of polished aluminum or chrome wheels on it.

'09 PSM G8 GT w/ Premium & Sport packages.
Go: LS3, BTR 233/250 (Stg IV) cam, Manzo 2" Camaro LTs, Kooks 3" mids, GXP axle backs, VCM, 100mm LS7 MAF, 3.27's, Circle-D 3600 stall, built 6L80E. Tuned by Me.
Whoa!: CTS-V/ Camaro Brembos, full Zeta II front and rear suspension swap w/ BMR goodies and BC coil-overs.
Show: LED headlights and fogs, VG Sharkfin, GXP bumper & diffuser, 10% tint, de-badged, CTS-V wheels.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 AM

Garage
I have an 09 PSM G8 and love it. When I first looked at it, it wasn't exactly my favorite color either, but it grew on me rapidly. And Ode2Joy is corect, there isn't many in the PSM either in the base model,GT, or GXP. You will really like it. I'm in the process of putting a splitter on mine, and possibly lowering. And for a price in the low 20's, and the low mileage, you can't go wrong. I even had other G8 owners compliment the color of my G8. Get it before your oppertunity slips away!!!!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

I am going to go look at it tomorrow.

I was going to have him take it to a gm dealer. How has your guys experience with the pre purchase inspections? What do they look at? I remember I had one done on my m3 and it was very thorough but never dealt with gm before. How much are they as we'll? Worth it?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 PM

Hard to say, I purchased Christine certified from a GM dealership but still had lower controll arms replaced a few months later.

-Bob
2009 MSM G8 GT - Christine

Go:MJD Performance Tune, Kook's LTs 1 7/8", Chrome TVS2300, Little Lunati cam, etc, etc, etc...

Warm start/idle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCwZxC-2_1o

620 - RWHP
563 - RWTQ
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM

Garage
I bought my 09 G8 with 24k miles on it for $19k. It had never been wrecked and was in perfect condition. It was from a GM dealership and was certified, but I did have their mechanic look at it with me so he could answer any questions I may have had. It doesn't have a sunroof, but who cares. And just like terryscott621 said, the later 09 G8's 09's will have the bluetooth, but the early model 09's G8's say they do, but they don't, but that's an easy fix. And also, when I had 35k miles on my G8, I too had to replace the lower control arms. seems to be a troublesome thing for everyone, but I'm looking into getting some aftermarket ones and will install them when I drop my car. Other than that, I have 65k miles on it now, and it runs just as good as the day I got it. I have pictures of mine in the G8 garage if you want to see.

Last edited by pwalters; 12-07-2012 at 03:47 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 04:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
I am going to go look at it tomorrow.

I was going to have him take it to a gm dealer. How has your guys experience with the pre purchase inspections? What do they look at? I remember I had one done on my m3 and it was very thorough but never dealt with gm before. How much are they as we'll? Worth it?
When I bought my GXP from out of state I got a pre purchase inspection through carchex.com. They have contracted mechanics all over the country that they send out to look at the car for you. They look at interior and exterior condition and do a road test. It's just a visual inspection, but It gave me a little extra peace of mind when purchasing out of state. I would recommend them. It cost $125.

I would think the dealership would be even more thorough because they'd probably do a visual and mehanical inspection and be able to get under the car.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalters View Post
I bought my 09 G8 with 24k miles on it for $19k. It had never been wrecked and was in perfect condition. It was from a GM dealership and was certified, but I did have their mechanic look at it with me so he could answer any questions I may have had. It doesn't have a sunroof, but who cares. And just like terryscott621 said, the later 09 G8's 09's will have the bluetooth, but the early model 09's G8's say they do, but they don't, but that's an easy fix. And also, when I had 35k miles on my G8, I too had to replace the lower control arms. seems to be a troublesome thing for everyone, but I'm looking into getting some aftermarket ones and will install them when I drop my car. Other than that, I have 65k miles on it now, and it runs just as good as the day I got it. I have pictures of mine in the G8 garage if you want to see.
I am going to make sure I talk to the dealership to thoroughly inspect the control arms. I made a appt tomorrow to get the car inspected. 110 bucks but peace of mind.

Yea post some pics bro. Appreciate the help
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscott621 View Post
When I bought my GXP from out of state I got a pre purchase inspection through carchex.com. They have contracted mechanics all over the country that they send out to look at the car for you. They look at interior and exterior condition and do a road test. It's just a visual inspection, but It gave me a little extra peace of mind when purchasing out of state. I would recommend them. It cost $125.

I would think the dealership would be even more thorough because they'd probably do a visual and mehanical inspection and be able to get under the car.
I spoke with them. It seems like a very through inspection and price wasn't bad at 110.00.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

So I test drove it this morning and OMG, loved the car. So much torque

I made an offer of 21,700 which I felt was a good price and it was accepted. Will be taking delivery of it tomorrow morning.

I want to thank everyone for all their help with my questions (some stupid questions). This forum has been great and glad to be a part of it.

Thank you,

Hardeep Gill
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:44 PM

Garage
Congrats brotha. Get a tune first thing. It will make u love your car soooooooo much more. It really wakes up the car. Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 PM

Garage
Congrats brotha.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 AM

Congrats! Welcome to the club! Becareful with mods though... You'll get a case of "justalittlebitmore-itis" The mods in my sig were done to the car in the year I've had it, and I still have a long list of stuff to do.

-Bob
2009 MSM G8 GT - Christine

Go:MJD Performance Tune, Kook's LTs 1 7/8", Chrome TVS2300, Little Lunati cam, etc, etc, etc...

Warm start/idle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCwZxC-2_1o

620 - RWHP
563 - RWTQ
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscott621 View Post
Congrats brotha. Get a tune first thing. It will make u love your car soooooooo much more. It really wakes up the car. Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Thanks bro. definitely will be looking into a Tune in time. I've been already been extremely impressed by the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Noob View Post
Congrats! Welcome to the club! Becareful with mods though... You'll get a case of "justalittlebitmore-itis" The mods in my sig were done to the car in the year I've had it, and I still have a long list of stuff to do.
I already know im going to head down this road. Every car I get, this always happens. Just one more and im done, just one more. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page