Alright, need some more advice - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
On the Hunt

Alright, need some more advice

Option A: 2009 Red G8 GT for sale by 2nd owner. 26,000 miles, Premium package, ADM reprogrammed, SLP Exhaust, tinted windows, powertrain warranty til 12/2014. Previous accident involving front end repair with first owner, clean title. Tires at 1/2 life. Sale price at $21,000

Option B: 2009 Black G8 GT for sale by 1st owner. 27,000 miles, Premium/sport packages. Completely stock. Drivetrain and bumper to bumper til 2014. Bushings replaced. No accident but one door would be replaced before sale due to large dent. Brand new tires. Sale price $22,000

Both also have XM/Bluetooth

Having tough time deciding here

Last edited by bds001; 02-23-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Changed option B, found it additional info on both
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 PM

How deep is your pockets? Do you need the 2 grand? DD or Weekend? Is 10k miles alot to you compare to the other one? Do you rely on warrenty or you fix your own car?

These is some question to ask yourself.

Also, You can get some nice mods for 2k.

MGMARHSOLOSQUASHNITTOPROCHARGERBLOWN BY JESSIKA
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
On the Hunt

Pockets aren't the deepest. DD. I feel like either are low miles, not sure 10K miles is worth 2 grand extra (plus dealer fees). Dealer might be willing to come down more than a private seller. Warranty would be nice to have, although it wouldnt be around long anyways. Can fix some things myself

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:47 PM

I would check the history of the dealer option to see if the LCAs and strut mounts were replaced. Actually, check both options. These are VERY common problems to these cars and if you buy private and these things haven't been replaced, that savings will be quickly out the window. If they HAVE been done on both, I'd probably go with the private sale and use the extra $ for mods, but if the dealer is willing to come down a bit, a BTB warranty is sure nice to have on a new purchase. Plus, 10k miles is nothing on these cars.

OGOC (Ontario G8 Owners Club)
09 PBM V6 (Traded)
GXP Diffuser, Mace Insulators, Solo, CAI, FE3, BMR, much more
Replaced with
09 WH GT, Solo Mach, HF Cats, CAI, LS3 Cam, Pat G Tuned, FE3, Whiteline, SuperPro, Centric/Hawk, DAI Autobahns 19x8.5/+35, RE760s
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
On the Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhungus View Post
I would check the history of the dealer option to see if the LCAs and strut mounts were replaced. Actually, check both options. These are VERY common problems to these cars and if you buy private and these things haven't been replaced, that savings will be quickly out the window. If they HAVE been done on both, I'd probably go with the private sale and use the extra $ for mods, but if the dealer is willing to come down a bit, a BTB warranty is sure nice to have on a new purchase. Plus, 10k miles is nothing on these cars.
looking at carfax, it looks like neither have had LCAs/struts replaced
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds001 View Post
looking at carfax, it looks like neither have had LCAs/struts replaced
Well if it were me, I would work the dealer down a bit. You still have over 4 months of BTB left to sort anything out. I'm not sure if the LCAs/Strut mounts are a recall or not (probably not). You can find TSBs for these issues on the forum (or just online). I'd ask the dealer if they would take care of these things if were you past warranty because they're so common.

Have you test driven either one yet?

OGOC (Ontario G8 Owners Club)
09 PBM V6 (Traded)
GXP Diffuser, Mace Insulators, Solo, CAI, FE3, BMR, much more
Replaced with
09 WH GT, Solo Mach, HF Cats, CAI, LS3 Cam, Pat G Tuned, FE3, Whiteline, SuperPro, Centric/Hawk, DAI Autobahns 19x8.5/+35, RE760s
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM

Alright, need some more advice

Is the dealer selling it as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle? If so it will have 12 month 12k bumper 2 bumper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM

Garage
Just bought mine and was Certified Pre-Owned and had B-B and was able to buy extended that the B-B is covered till 58k. Had 26k when i got it.

2009 GT White Hot, AKA CASPER, Superchips 93 octane tune, Volant C.A.I with HSRK,Slotted and cross drilled rotors with ceramic pads,GXP Diffuser,Debadged.Solo axle backs, Coronet 440 style tips
Dyno 4/26/15,343 MAX H.P.,338.6 MAX TORQ
5/13/15 [email protected], 2.03- 60'."WE ARE THE LAST OF OUR KIND"
2009.1 V6 STRYKER BLUE, TRADED IN 1/10/13
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM

Beat the dealer down... Now is a good time because these cars don't move in the winter. (rear wheel drive) Then buy their Major Guard option. I paid $1700 for it and my car is now covered bumper to bumper till 1/03/2017 or 87,000 miles. No worries. Good luck. whichever one you choose, you can't go wrong.

2009 PBM G8 GT. Premium package.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
On the Hunt

Alright so I changed option B completely, as the dealer wouldn't come down hardly at all. That one is now listed on eBay apparently

Any thoughts on my new options? Kind of leaning towards A at the moment
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 PM

Keep looking... Its a big investment. There will be others. Be patient. I passed on about a dozen before I bought mine. And I'm glad I did.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 AM

Some dealers/sellers aren't willing to budge, others are. And as much as they try to hook you with sales tactics like "you gotta pay a little extra to get a nice one!" don't buy into it. I've let a couple REALLY clean examples slip through my fingers at really nice prices because they were missing options that I now don't care as much about.

The ones that really stick to their guns end up holding onto them for awhile from what I've seen. I've been watching the market for a few months now and the expensive ones are all still there. I'm not sure if they are trying to maximize profit or if they really did overspend on the cars themselves buying into their own idea of these cars being particularly "rare". I wouldn't call them overly common but I definitely wouldn't call them rare.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
On the Hunt

I've decided to get the Liquid Red one for $21K...pretty pumped, just wish I could pick it up before the 7th!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:26 PM

Liquid / Arrest Me Red huh. I turned down two just to avoid that color. lol !!! Anyway, not to rain on your parade, but, 21k is too much to pay for a car thats been in an accident. And good tires are gonna cost around 2 bills apiece. Its your call but are those the only two in your area ? As I posted earlier, I'd keep looking. Front end damage is not good for these cars. Make sure the control arms are straight. Don't know if you've driven it yet, but if you hear any rattles or noises coming from the front end, walk away. Good luck with whatever you choose. But when buying private used. You pays your money and get what you get. Usually someone elses nightmare.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
On the Hunt

I actually like the red. Kinda didn't want red because I just got out of a red 2000 SS Camaro, but still like it

Looks like it was actually rear end damage in 2010 with original owner, who then owned it another year and a half before trading it in. Current owner bought it as GM certified preowned with only 13,000 miles, and has put about 13,000 miles on it since purchase so I think it's probably in good shape if it was certified preowned. Found the car when it was for sale between owners and dealer was asking 25K
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:48 PM

If you haven't already done so. Get a Carfax. Then, hit up a GM dealer. Tell them you want to check to see if all the recall work has been done. (They'll run your VIN) If they're nice, and you're lucky, they will give you the full service history of the car. If they don't, ask anyway. All they can do is say no. (Information act etc.) Good luck. Hope it works out for you. They are great cars.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
On the Hunt

Thanks for the advice. Got a carfax and looks good there

Going to try and run by GM tomorrow
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 PM

Hmm my liquid red had rear damage at about that time/mileage haha. Dont think its mine since it was sports/premium package with roof in ohio.

Anyways if a quality shop did the repairs they would have frame measured and put it 100% back how it was. Good buy imo! Great color. Also carfax wont show dealership repairs/recalls.

09 G8 GT Liquid Red, Premium & Sport Packages
Sold

09 G8 GT Stryker Blue Metallic, Premium & Sport Packages, Magnaflow Catback, Tinted Windows, Mudflap Delete , Clear Side Markers (Neondials), VG Sharkfin, GXP Diffuser, Redline Center Console, Infinity Kappa speakers, more to come!

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Car RamRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflsupG8 View Post
Also carfax wont show dealership repairs/recalls.
then WTF good is it?

You can choose to be anything you want on the internet...why choose to be so stupid!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:54 PM

At least I don't think it does lol. A gm service department can give you that if they're in a good mood.

09 G8 GT Liquid Red, Premium & Sport Packages
Sold

09 G8 GT Stryker Blue Metallic, Premium & Sport Packages, Magnaflow Catback, Tinted Windows, Mudflap Delete , Clear Side Markers (Neondials), VG Sharkfin, GXP Diffuser, Redline Center Console, Infinity Kappa speakers, more to come!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page