no way this is real! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Car RamRod
 
todds87ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,795
no way this is real!

Stopped by the local dealer Saturday. They had a MSM G8 GT out front. 37K miles. Camaro wheels.
Turns out to be an 09, no sport, premium, or sunroof packages. Minor paint chips in front bumper, completely stock except the wheels.

ASKING $27,000!!!

No way thats the value. I informed them of the gross exaggeration on the price. Salesman had NO CLUE.

You can choose to be anything you want on the internet...why choose to be so stupid!
todds87ss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 468
Typical slimy dealer trying to gouge clueless customers on the old adage that "there is a chump born every minute". Please do us all a favor and post the name of this distinguished establishment so we know what store to avoid when looking for a new set of wheels.

Current:
2016 GTI SE 6-speed
2013 Camaro SS 6-speed
2014 Mazda3 6-speed
2008 Tuono 1000R
Last 3:
2009 G8 GXP 6-speed - SOLD
2007 E90 335i 6-speed - SOLD
2008 G8 GT - PBM - SOLD
camoeto is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: seattle
Posts: 1,505
Better to error too high vs too low. I would have offered mine in trade for $25,000!
Jeff92se is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Senior Member
 
SmokeyBear911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central Coast California
Posts: 4,787
Funny how when we want to sell our cars we want super high values, but when we want to buy we want em really low...

Liquid Red GXP, Sun and stick !
#611 of 1829
SmokeyBear911 is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Car RamRod
 
todds87ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,795
that's why the expression "Fair Market Value" was invented. A 4 year old car with 37K on the clock does not lose only 10% of it's value. It was worth less than that when the original owner drove it off the lot new.

You can choose to be anything you want on the internet...why choose to be so stupid!
todds87ss is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM
HeapBlaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 442
used car prices are way higher than they used to be... i was trying to buy a used 2010 camaro in 2012... it was the same or more usually to buy used than new...

2009 G8 GXP M6 - Katech LS9R Clutch, SLP LTs w/ !cat, Magnaflow X-pipe added, OBX-R axleback, VCM OTR Intake, Powerbond 25% UDP, Taylors 10.4mm wires, SLP 160* TSTAT
Roadcone is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcone View Post
used car prices are way higher than they used to be... i was trying to buy a used 2010 camaro in 2012... it was the same or more usually to buy used than new...
I had a conversation with a buddy of mine recently. He was telling me about how much value brand new cars lose after you drive them off the lot.

Not really the case anymore, sure they lose some value, but you could still sell a slightly used new model car for just under sticker.
G.8.G.T. is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Car RamRod
 
todds87ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,795
2 things go against the theory that cars lose less value...
1. Drive it off the lot, turn around and go back and ask what they will give you for it
2. Drive it off the lot, run it into a tree and see what insurance will give you.

In both cases, the max amount you will get is 80%. that's been the rule. No idea why people would think differently. I'm not saying that low mileage newer cars have not garnered rediculous prices...factors which may be in play involve different credit ratings for used vs. new, cars no longer available, or limited run (basically a supply/demand issue). I remember back in 1987 I was trying to buy a new camaro. They would only sell me a used one (for the price of a new one) because of my credit.

The Economy is another big factor. If new cars are not selling, the price for used ones goes up. Once the new car market heats up, used prices should come down as supplies increase.
Also, a quick autotrader search finds a good supply of Camaro SS at the same mileage, and a year newer for the same or less money.

I guess I have heard stories about folks who have gotten a great deal off the showroom floor, kept it a year, and sold it for a profit...just never happened to me.

You can choose to be anything you want on the internet...why choose to be so stupid!
todds87ss is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by todds87ss View Post
2 things go against the theory that cars lose less value...
1. Drive it off the lot, turn around and go back and ask what they will give you for it
2. Drive it off the lot, run it into a tree and see what insurance will give you.

In both cases, the max amount you will get is 80%. that's been the rule. No idea why people would think differently. I'm not saying that low mileage newer cars have not garnered rediculous prices...factors which may be in play involve different credit ratings for used vs. new, cars no longer available, or limited run (basically a supply/demand issue). I remember back in 1987 I was trying to buy a new camaro. They would only sell me a used one (for the price of a new one) because of my credit.

The Economy is another big factor. If new cars are not selling, the price for used ones goes up. Once the new car market heats up, used prices should come down as supplies increase.
Also, a quick autotrader search finds a good supply of Camaro SS at the same mileage, and a year newer for the same or less money.

I guess I have heard stories about folks who have gotten a great deal off the showroom floor, kept it a year, and sold it for a profit...just never happened to me.

Hmm, I'd actually be interested to see if somebody will buy a new car from a dealer and then drive it to a different dealer to see what they would get. But there's a world of difference between dealers and private sales. So where do you take your value number from? Personally I'd take it from the highest buyer, which would be a private seller. In which case you'd be right saying that supply and demand will affect the price. But it wont be 80% of the sticker for most vehicles.

I think the quality of vehicles today have affected that number the most. Cars last longer now and depreciate slower.


I have to note the only thing I'm basing this off of was waiting to see how much a couple of new vehicles would be used if I waited a bit to purchase one. When used cars started popping up with anywhere from 4,000-15,000 miles, they were barely 5-10% cheaper than brand new. So none of my logic is actually researched and I could be completely wrong.
G.8.G.T. is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Car RamRod
 
todds87ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,795
it's actually quite simple. Go to Kelly Blue book or edmunds and put your data in. I just checked a 2012 camaro SS which MSRPd at 36K, and it came out to 30K. Now that is less than the 20% drop out the door, but is 20% drop in 1 year.
I then input the data for this G8 in question...$21744. much more in line with real market value.
I get the 80% from insurance company claims over the years. Now if they are paying out more than 80% for a totaled new car (without gap insurance), I am not aware of it.

And I do agree that greedy used car dealers are charging MSRP for 2 year old cars that they got at auction for 60-70% (as in this case). That's why they have the reputation that they do...

You can choose to be anything you want on the internet...why choose to be so stupid!
todds87ss is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 212
This was the same thing with mine at the dealer they wanted 29K for a 09 with 32K, sport, premium, red onyx int.

I offered 21 we meet at 23. I told the sales man "gas at $4 a gal" good luck with the sale. I got new tires, alignment, and 2 rims repaired.

Not a smoking deal but not bad.

Just hold your ground, tell them if they want to sell it and give them a number with some room to come up.

Wife: Can't you buy a normal Dad car!
Me: I an not a normal Dad!

Think outside the box: http://www.adoptuskids.org/
Fast4drss is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,683
You seem to be forgetting the most important thing here Todd, if they can get some DUMBASS to $27k for it why wouldn't they?
jackalope is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Car RamRod
 
todds87ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
You seem to be forgetting the most important thing here Todd, if they can get some DUMBASS to $27k for it why wouldn't they?
there is a sad ring of truth, here.

You can choose to be anything you want on the internet...why choose to be so stupid!
todds87ss is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by todds87ss View Post
there is a sad ring of truth, here.
lmao!
jackalope is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
My 2009 red gt pre sound with 10xxx would cost 30 g's or I keep it. They don't make them any more.
Olddog is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
richsfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bear Delaware
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by todds87ss View Post
it's actually quite simple. Go to Kelly Blue book or edmunds and put your data in. I just checked a 2012 camaro SS which MSRPd at 36K, and it came out to 30K. Now that is less than the 20% drop out the door, but is 20% drop in 1 year.
I then input the data for this G8 in question...$21744. much more in line with real market value.
I get the 80% from insurance company claims over the years. Now if they are paying out more than 80% for a totaled new car (without gap insurance), I am not aware of it.

And I do agree that greedy used car dealers are charging MSRP for 2 year old cars that they got at auction for 60-70% (as in this case). That's why they have the reputation that they do...
From what I remember, you will get vastly different values from KBB and Edmunds. KBB is always too high. Do you really think that cars.com and other sites would have a direct link to KBB for the car they are selling and not be in bed with them?! It's a pretty simple deduction that KBB is innacurate..otherwise there would be tons of dealers priced HIGHER than KBB, rather than exclaiming "We're a bazzilion dollars under the KBB value!"

Edmunds seems to much closer to what a dealer will usually end up lowering his price to in order to sell it.

Logic would dictate that the dealer would price a car high and then except less. Seems like a common sales tactic for anything from cars to garage sales. Of course if you're Apple selling 'i'things, you set the price on everything high and then never lower it.

Whenever I silence a noise my car is making, another one, that was masked by the first becomes apparent. The only universal repair is to dramatically increase the volume of the radio, purchasing a good aftermarket subwoofer and amp if your car also suffers from as yet undiagnosed clunks or vibrations.
richsfish is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Turbo301's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,646
Garage
That's about the price such a car would fetch in my neck of the woods, but of course it would have cost close to $40k new up here. $27k American, in the U.S., seems crazy. I think this dealer is running with the idea that G8s haven't depreciated much, which is true, but not THAT true .

2009 G8 GT in MSM: no sunroof, no sport package, no leather... just the standard-equipment "yee haw"!

Mods: K&N air filter, AEM Brute Force short-ram, Solo Mach Balanced + HFCs + resonators, Livernois ECM/TCM tune(s), gorgeous wife mod
Other cars:
1996 Caprice Classic: dark cherry, LT1, B4U
1977 Mercury Cougar XR7: light jade metallic, rare 302/low-option Ontario car
Turbo301 is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Pontiac1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
Theres a blue 09' GT for sale at a dealer by me with 22k on the clock, premium but no sport asking 27k..... low miles, but man thats high
Pontiac1000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome