How should I adjust J-pipes? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Solo Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

How should I adjust J-pipes?

Hey Solo, what steps should I take to adjust the J Pipes?

Any Suggestions? Tips? Tricks?

PBM M6 GXP. Vararam, VMS Tune, Pedder's Sway Bars, Pedders Street 1 kit, Atari Triples, SOLO Hi-Flows and Axle-Back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 AM

Solo has an instruction thread in their vendor area, I believe.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Capital City G8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootyMcBooty View Post
Hey Solo, what steps should I take to adjust the J Pipes?

Any Suggestions? Tips? Tricks?
Very simple. You don't even need jacks or ramps. 9/16th deep socket is all you need. Crawl under the car. Each J pipe has a clamp near the end. Loosen the two bolts on each clamp and adjust in or out in 1/2 inch increments. Be sure to mark your starting point for reference. I found moving it in makes the pitch higher and moving out goes deeper, but in all honesty, it doesn't do a whole lot.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:42 PM

Garage
^^^ so when it's install time, should you leave the j-pipes how they are when they are shipped...or based on the mods a persons car has and you encounter some drone should you move the j-pipe clamp closer towards the front of the car or move the clamp back more towards the rear of the car to get rid of the drone? i'm a little confused on this also. thanks!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Just leave them stock. You will need to run with the car for awhile anyways to break in the new exhaust. I've found adjusting the J-pipes did very little, if anything. Not to mention they are a pain to adjust on the axlebacks. They are in a different place vs the catback and it was very difficult trying to get to them on the car. I had to remove the whole pipe as my breaker bar was too long and I couldn't get my socket wrench in there without hitting something. Much easier just taking off the whole J-pipe then adjusting (which required a pipe wrench to pull out the one side, couldn't move it by hand).

Save yourself the time, and just install them at factory position.

2008 G8 GT #509 of 888 - Ignition Orange
Performance: Kooks 1-7/8 LT's, Solo HFC & Mach Shorty, NEP OTR Intake, NEP Dyno Tune, VMS HSRK, Ported TB, Widened Stock 19" Wheels w/ 285's
Appearance: 5000K HIDs, NEP Gauge Bezel, Auto-dimming Mirror, third_shift studios 888 Shifter Plaque, GXP Front Fascia & Diffuser, 3.5" Exhaust Tips

349 RWHP / 366 RWTQ
Best 1/4 - 13.215 @ 105.17MPH, 60' - 2.01 - Prior to headers...new time coming (hopefully)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 PM

Garage
have you guys had any drone with putting the j's on from factory? i know solo says it is a drone free catback system, but i thought there could be drone depending on mods. if the j's don't really do any changes does that mean the system doesn't drone at all?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 PM

I left mine the way solo shipped them and I dont have drone on the highway. I thinks it sounds badass at 85-90.

8000K hid lows, GM 2-way remote, BT from 09.5, VIM, Rotofab rad cover, GXP fascia & diffuser, Inalfa sunroof
Rotofab CAI, VMS ecm/tcm 93 octane dyno tune, Mobil1, Solo Mach Shorty, Solo hfc's, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's
BMR subframe connectors, trans brace, diff bushings, subframe bushings, trailering arms
Summer rims/tires- 19X8.5 FR (245/40 Hankook), 19X9.5 rr (275/35 Hankook)
Winter tires/rims- 18X8.5 all the way around (245/40 Michelin)
339 WHP
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Capital City G8

I have some drone/slightly unpleasant sound from 1200-1400 rpms which occurs in 6th gear from 42-52mph. It only occurs when the car is under load as in going up a slight incline when the car doesn't kick down to 5th gear. It's not horrible by any means. I spent 5-7 hours adjusting my J pipes in and out by as much as 1.5" It changed the pitch, but never got rid of the sound. To be completely honest, adjusting the J's doesn't do much. I ended up keeping mine at the stock location because it was the best overall. At highway speeds, it's extremely quite and no drone whatsoever. I think your jumping the gun on this. Sit back and enjoy the sweet exhaust note!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 PM

^ +1. I encounter the same resonance at those speeds. AFM is the only problematic area for me. Just too annoying at 74mph turning on andoff. In 8 though it sounds great

AFM has overall become a nuisance with the new exhaust I must say. The constant engage/disengage is the annoying part. Unfortunately adjusting the J's had no impact on AFM. I may just shut it off at some point.

Performance: Kooks 1-7/8 LT's, Solo HFC & Mach Shorty, NEP OTR Intake, NEP Dyno Tune, VMS HSRK, Ported TB, Widened Stock 19" Wheels w/ 285's
Appearance: 5000K HIDs, NEP Gauge Bezel, Auto-dimming Mirror, third_shift studios 888 Shifter Plaque, GXP Front Fascia & Diffuser, 3.5" Exhaust Tips

349 RWHP / 366 RWTQ
Best 1/4 - 13.215 @ 105.17MPH, 60' - 2.01 - Prior to headers...new time coming (hopefully)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Capital City G8

AFM with the full catback isn't nearly as bothersome as it is with the axlebacks. The sound didn't really bother me much, but I tuned it out anyway.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:00 PM

Agreed. Make sure you tighten your bolts to 60ft lbs torque too. I noticed going back to the stock position on my car this morning reduced some vibration I was experiencing with my J's pulled out 1". My suggestion is to keep it in the stock position and make sure all bolts are tightened to spec.

349 RWHP / 366 RWTQ
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:43 PM

I've had a different experience.... My system droned like crazy for when I put it on. I adjusted the pipes all over the place with little change.I even spoke with Steve several times, but while taking a closer look my 2 j bends (I think its easier to adjust them off the car) I found they were different lengths and therefore when I made my adjustments the pipes were never the same lengths.

I ended up wrapping a string along the outside of the pipe to make sure they were adjusted to the same length. This made a HUGE difference but I still had that annoying drone/vibration below 1400rpm when under load. I since have moved them about 1.25" out from the factory solo setting and am loving the results. I have yet to turn back on AFM, but before it was absolutely unbearable... However since I installed the axle back my mpg has gone up even though AFm is off and I know I'm driving it harder just to listen to the exhaust haha. I think it sounds fantastic during spirited driving right around that 1800-200rpm mark.

Last edited by cvidt; 04-10-2010 at 10:46 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:57 PM

Definitely easier to take the pipes off. I made sure to measure with a straight edge and position the pipes at the same distance from one another (9" from the pipe bend to the end of the adjustable pipe is the factory position).

I think you're the first I've heard with successful results moving the J-pipe. Glad it worked. I still need to put more miles in my stock position again since I've been running outside the stock parameters for awhile. Nothing really different but vibrations APPEAR less than before. The mind can play tricks on you when you first make changes (aka like a butt dyno, tough to trust).

349 RWHP / 366 RWTQ
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 AM
up-down-charmed-strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvidt View Post
... I ended up wrapping a string along the outside of the pipe to make sure they were adjusted to the same length. ...
Yes, I did the same thing before installation (hadn't had any beer yet), since equal lengths is a critical function. I measured from the weld to the end of the cap with a piece of wide non-stretchable material that hugged the contour. I'm still at the "default" position, but might try making them @ 1" to 1.5" longer sometime in the future. For now, I'm just lovin it!

2009.0 G8GT - Liquid Red(Onyx/Red) - Premium & Sport packages
19" O.Z. Sardegna wheels + Goodyear Eagle GT's (non summertime)
SOLO Mach Shorty Balanced catback - RotoFab CAI - fullsize spare & jack kit - partially debadged
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:45 AM

Mine wound up a tad off after the install resulting in a slight buzz. measured and readjusted and buzz is gone. Still have to work on the AFM changeover.

Reset J's to 9' from bend. Total length on both J-pipes is 23.5"

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:54 AM

I just got my Solo Mach Balanced system on and I thought that it was the combination with my Kooks headers that was causing the issues, but it sounds like everyone here is seeing the same things I am.

It sounds "nasty" in a good way, but the AFM change is really annoying me and I've resorted to driving in manual mode. I might have to get a AFM disabled tune from VMS.

I've put about 500 miles on it. Everything was new - how long should i expect to drive it before it gets enough carbon to mellow the sound a bit?

cvidt said it sounds great around 1800-2000rpm - try headers, HF cats and solo catback at 5K RPM. It put s smile on your face I've had to start idling around my general area where I live because people were stating to get ticked off. I usually hit it a little leaving our neighbourhood onto the main road, which is about 1/2 a mile from our house - the other day my wife said "you know I heard you leaving the neighbourhood - you better not get any tickets" I could only smile.

Black 09 G8 GT, Premium and Sport Packages
Mods: VMS Tune, Kooks 1 7/8" Mids, Solo Mach Balanced w/3.5" tips, Vibrant 12" Resonators, Roto-Fab CAI w/HSRK, BP Catch Can, Lowered on Eibach's, Radiator Cover, GXP Diffuser, CTS-V front & rear brakes, Matte Gunmetal 20" Nurburgring, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/35 - 295/30, MaverickMan Carbon Spoiler and Grille Surrounds.
Dyno: 337HP 349TQ
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvidt View Post
I think it sounds fantastic during spirited driving right around that 1800-2000 rpm mark.
Spirited driving is not possible below 2000 rpm

Holden: VE Commodore SS V-Series Special Edition, Left Hand Drive, PBM
Go: Patrick G EPS Cam; Patrick G Mail Order Tune, Harrop Intake, Vector HSRK; DT Headers, Solo Mid-pipes, Hacked Atari Gauges
Handling: BMR Sub Frame Bushings
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 01:33 PM

hey in md traffic... thats all you can get!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
I just got my Solo Mach Balanced system on and I thought that it was the combination with my Kooks headers that was causing the issues, but it sounds like everyone here is seeing the same things I am.

It sounds "nasty" in a good way, but the AFM change is really annoying me and I've resorted to driving in manual mode. I might have to get a AFM disabled tune from VMS.

I've put about 500 miles on it. Everything was new - how long should i expect to drive it before it gets enough carbon to mellow the sound a bit?

cvidt said it sounds great around 1800-2000rpm - try headers, HF cats and solo catback at 5K RPM. It put s smile on your face I've had to start idling around my general area where I live because people were stating to get ticked off. I usually hit it a little leaving our neighbourhood onto the main road, which is about 1/2 a mile from our house - the other day my wife said "you know I heard you leaving the neighbourhood - you better not get any tickets" I could only smile.
Break-in can take up to 1000 miles. Carbon needs to build up inside the pipes. From that point, you can try adjusting the J-pipes in half inch increments. Make sure both sides are the same length.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 AM
G8/LSX n00b

If anyone needs a set of new stainless 2" J pipes, PM me!!

09.1 G8 GT, 20x9.5/10 RD Sport RS-5's, 255/30 & 275/30 sumitomos, magnaflow catback, Kooks mids w/cats, Crawford ported TB/manifold, Spectre 4"/LS7 MAF, Rotofab, HID's, Aussie SV6 tails, GXP front bumper, GXP rear diffuser, BMR strut bushings/cradle inserts/sway, Megan Coils, CTS-V 6/4pot Brembos, HSV steering wheel, Klearz corners, HSV map lights, CHenry splitters/tuned

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page