Buzzing sound in area of HFC and alignment question - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Solo Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Buzzing sound in area of HFC and alignment question

I recently installed a solo mach balanced cat back and high flow cats on my GXP. Nothing is rubbing or touching the heat shields or floor pan. When parked if I rev the engine to 3,000 RPM and let off I get a rattle/ buzzing sound that can also be produced by keeping the rev’s around 2,000 RPM. Sound is coming from the area of the passenger side cat and I can see a noticeable vibration in the cat when the buzz/rattle is heard. Hope it’s not the substrate rattling in the casing causing the buzz. Have not been under the car yet to check but want to see if anyone else experienced this.
Other two issues I have are the system is nicely aligned overall but I am having a slight issue as the tips are slightly pointing in toward the center line of the car a bit too much for my tastes. Passenger side is almost perfect but driver’s side could use some tweaking. Hight wise they are good. Don’t think any washers on the hangers will help much but maybe futher up the line? Additionally I have a leak both axel connection but only condensation (water comes out) no soot at connection or the usual sound of a exhaust leak. Just two small puddles of water on the ground by the joints that stop when the system heats up and expands. My Audi S4 used to do this also and never was a problem. All clamps are centered and tight.

Last edited by stibuki; 08-03-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:59 PM

If you haven't already you may want to retighten the HFC bolts. I tightened mine up (they needed it) after a few heating/cooling cycles. Didn't have any rattle though. I had the same issue on the driver's side. Loosened the band clamp and corrected it by inserting a little more pipe into the swedge. Hopefully you have some room left.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 PM

I have this same buzzing sound, sounds like its coming from under the center console, which would probably be about the spot where the high flow cats are.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 AM

I too have this buzzing sound. I just got done the first leg of our road trip, 3000kms, and noticed the noise today. It is coming from the passenger side, and only happens intermittently.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFuzion View Post
I have this same buzzing sound, sounds like its coming from under the center console, which would probably be about the spot where the high flow cats are.
Thats about right but not very pronounced from inside the car.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
I too have this buzzing sound. I just got done the first leg of our road trip, 3000kms, and noticed the noise today. It is coming from the passenger side, and only happens intermittently.
All the time for me and easy to duplicate.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Site Sponsor

Hello guys...the main cause for any buzzing would be a loose heat shield. We have seen this in many different cases. The bolts come loose quite often. I would check on all of the heat shield bolts under there.

I would also check that the studs where the converter bolts to the manifold..also check that the 02 sensors are tight...but the first thing would be to check the heat shield bolts.

If you want, come to our shop and we would be happy to take a look, but I am pretty sure it is the heat shield bolts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

I thought it might be the heat shields also and makes perfect sense that the passenger side would be making the noise since clearance is more limited on that side. However having plenty experience with heat shields making noise down through the years I can say it is a more heavy sounding buzz not your typical sound. Going to take a look this afternoon.
If it was not a 7 hour drive for me I would have been to the shop already as I am not totally satisfied with the tip alignment and the condensation (water leaks) from the axel back till the joint heats up and seals itself.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Just got back from the exhaust shop and it is the heat shields themselves making all the noise. Finally, I just had them remove the one that is near the cats and the car is as quiet as can be. Love it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Just got back from the exhaust shop and it is the heat shields themselves making all the noise. Finally, I just had them remove the one that is near the cats and the car is as quiet as can be. Love it.
Great to hear! The heat shield is usually the #1 culprit for rattles. Enjoy your exhaust and cats!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Lucky you. For me it's not the heat shields.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:09 PM

Now I think the heatshields around the mufflers are giving me some noise, its not bad, but my guess is over time it will be more of an annoyance as things losen up.

Last edited by GOINGSOLO2; 08-17-2010 at 09:28 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Now I think the heatshields around the mufflers are giving me some noise, its not bad, but my guess is over time it will be more of an annoyance as things losen up.
Give them a good tightening and use some high temp Lock-Tite if they continue to be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page