solos are driving me nuts - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Solo Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

solos are driving me nuts

first off I have the V6 model with solo axle backs. The mufflers look great and sometimes sound great. However after living with them for 5 months they are drivivng me nuts. WOT they sound amazing but any other time especially around 1500rpm the drown and vibration is unbearable. Maybe I'm just noticing more now due to the cold weather, but I feel link I'm driving a Honda Civic with a watermelon laucher on the back. I do have a point to all this babbling, has anyone tried the resonators with V6 axlebacks? How much are they? Will they actually help with vibation and loud drown?

2009 G8 V6 Mavrick Silver Metallic
Mods. K&N 63 Series CAI, GXP diffusser, Solo Axle Backs, GT Tails, Shark Fin
Future Mods. 20% tints, Video in Motion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 05:22 PM
LBV

Based on everything I've read on the Solo's, it sounds like you may have other issues ... have you been under the car to ensure you don't have an exhaust leak causing the drone or maybe a heatshield touching the exhaust for the vibration?

Also, try and measure the straight pipe of the J-pipe assembly to see if you might be able to weld in a 14" Magnaflow round bullet muffler or even the Solorez's ... if the above comes out negative, this might be worth a try??

2009 GXP, Manual with Sunroof
Borla cat-back, H&R springs, & Sprintbooster & I love it! Summer rims = 19 x 9 CTS-V PVD Permachromed
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Capital City G8

He's got a V6 so he doesn't have J's.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Garage
I'd recommend he get in contact with Steve @ SOLO for some troubleshooting of the V6 axlebacks. Maybe something has shifted or become loose and he's hearing a vibration as a result. If this was a problem with all the axlebacks, we'd surely be hearing about it by now on the forums. Probably something easy, at least hopefully!

--zep

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Capital City G8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarett75 View Post
first off I have the V6 model with solo axle backs. The mufflers look great and sometimes sound great. However after living with them for 5 months they are drivivng me nuts. WOT they sound amazing but any other time especially around 1500rpm the drown and vibration is unbearable. Maybe I'm just noticing more now due to the cold weather, but I feel link I'm driving a Honda Civic with a watermelon laucher on the back. I do have a point to all this babbling, has anyone tried the resonators with V6 axlebacks? How much are they? Will they actually help with vibation and loud drown?
You are not alone. I was one of the first to get the V6 axlebacks. They sound great at start up and great at WOT. But drive normally in the 1500-1800 rpm range and the drone is unbearable. Steve told me to torque the bolts to 60 ft-lb. No difference what so ever. I mentioned the drone issue on the board and got a response from Steve that the axlebacks do not drone. I emailed Steve about the problem and possible solution. His response was that this was the first time that he has heard of this problem. There was talk about the resonators, but no one could give me assurance that this would correct the problem. I don't want to spend more money if it will not solve the issue. So I pulled them from the car.

I talked with a member of my car club that recommended me to talk with another guy at Solo. So I'm going to go that route. Now that I know that another V6 owner is suffering with the dreaded drone. Lets see if we can get Solo to address it. I'm getting tired of seeing these things in my basement. I want them back on my car. I am going to start a thread in G8 tech under the V6 engine tech section and see if anyone else is having issues. Can you put a response in there so we can some attention to this.

2008 Pontiac G8 Panther Black
Comfort and Sound Package/Sunroof
OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

Appearance: 20% Tint, 6K HIDs 35W Lows, 50W LED Fogs,Debadged,GXP Diffuser, Blacked Out Grilles and Trim, VG Sharkfin, Rear Roof Spoiler
Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 PM
'Mod'erator

Does solo advertise the V6 axle backs as drone free?

LSA, Pat G DOD cam, RCR TB, 4.5IN Intake/MAF,
CNC LS3 Heads, OBX,
H&Rs, Konis, BMR, Brembos, Slotted/Drilled Rotors
3.27 Gears, 2600 Stall, ZL1 pump, Ice tank
Tuned By Pat G and Luis at RPM Speed Center

Bolt ons Street tires
[email protected] 60ft 1.96 Da 700ft

Cam no stall Street tires
[email protected] 60ft 1.75 Da -200

Stall
[email protected] 60ft 1.66 DA 400ft

Zex 125shot
[email protected] 60ft 1.83 DA 2000ft
second gear launch

LSA 1/4???
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
Does solo advertise the V6 axle backs as drone free?
Yes they do.... https://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31778. Posts 1 and 7.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 AM

i thought the J pipes were what made the drone go away for the most part? my exhuast sounded back in the cold due to a somewhat bad gasket on my axlebacks check that...but the ones on my gt droned from the same rpm range you describe i just took em off. didnt give me any power gains just some looks ill throw em back on for a few mos in the summer again if i dont sell em.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deiz29 View Post
i thought the J pipes were what made the drone go away for the most part? my exhuast sounded back in the cold due to a somewhat bad gasket on my axlebacks check that...but the ones on my gt droned from the same rpm range you describe i just took em off. didnt give me any power gains just some looks ill throw em back on for a few mos in the summer again if i dont sell em.
The V6s don't have J pipes. Only the V8s.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Capital City G8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITZAPONY G8 View Post
The V6s don't have Jpipes. Only the V8s.
You gotta love when people don't actually read through the posts This one was covered in post #3
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus View Post
You gotta love when people don't actually read through the posts This one was covered in post #3
Perhaps it was just oversight...

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Capital City G8

Oversight/don't actually read. Aren't these the same thing I'm guilty of this as well though so I guess I shouldn't cast stones at him.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Site Sponsor

Hi Derekprz and fellow V6 owners. The G8 V6 is a terribly difficult vehicle to get a great performance sound and no drone. After 20 plus attempts at finalizing the kit we were ecstatic that we were able to achieve the wonderful performance sound of the V6 G8 and no drone. We knew how tricky the V6 sound was to get right so we rounded up another customer to duplicate the test. We were successful on both these cars so we released our Solo V6 axle back exhaust kit.

As time has went on we have had 1/3 to 1/2 of the V6 buyers having the problems that you are speaking about in this thread. We are not sure why one G8 V6 has no drone and others do but it is great to have a thread like this to help determine what's going on.

We have sold approximately 10 sets of our MR Resonators (Mach Resonators) to V6 owners with 100% satisfaction. It softens the overall exhaust note by about 20% and takes away some rough edges and greatly lessens or eliminates the drone. It would be good if some V6 owners with resonators could chime in with input. These resonators have to be welded in before the mufflers.

These resonators are a full stainless steel, tig welded, free flow, polished unit with 6ML louvers and they are heavily packed with ceramic fiber and stainless steel wool. Of course you would need 2 of these resonators. They are directional and the open end of the louver points towards the back of the car. We are selling these resonators to existing kit buyers at cost. They are $75 each including shipping. ($150 for the pair) They regularly go for $116 per resonator.

The V6 G8 is proving to be a very diverse car that doesn't react the same. We are trying to provide answers that will solve your problems at the least cost possible. We also have many resonator sales on the V8 G8 where people want to further soften their exhaust note and we have wonderful results.

Please feel free to call or PM with any questions etc. Thanks.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Garage
+1 on the resonators. Virus and I have them on our cars and they are truly amazing.

Hopefully someone with the V6 kit + Resonators can chime in with their experiences to see if this may help the OP and others with this issue. I have the V8 car so I can't comment on V6 stuff.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Capital City G8

It's hard to compare the V6 to the V8 without having first hand experience with the V6 drone. With my V8 the resonators did soften all of the rough edges considerably and it did lesson the drone area to what I considered to be an acceptable level. I also have a trans tune that unlocks the converter more quickly in 6th gear at that rpm level and the throttle tip in was made more sensitive. The resonators do add to the overall refinement of the V8 sound and I absolutely love them. They do lower the overall volume of the V8's by about 10-15% in my estimation while also making the exhaust note more directional. Meaning, the sound appears to come from the back of the car now and you don't hear it as much from the front or sides.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Capital City G8

Virus. Is your car in the club exhaust video?

OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

Appearance: 20% Tint, 6K HIDs 35W Lows, 50W LED Fogs,Debadged,GXP Diffuser, Blacked Out Grilles and Trim, VG Sharkfin, Rear Roof Spoiler
Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Capital City G8

It's the White Hot w/Black rims and 4CU LOSN on the license plate. In that video I had Solo HFC's and Solo Mach Shorty Balanced. The audio doesn't really do any of the systems there justice though. It doesn't seem to pick up the very low exhaust note of the Solo system. It does a decent job of picking up the higher pitched Corsa exhaust note.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your insight guys. I think I'll start by climbing under my car to make sure everything is still tight. If its not that maybe resonators, I'm a bit hesistant to drop another $150 bucks to maybe fix the problem. So anyone who actually has the V6 with resonators please add your two cents.

2009 G8 V6 Mavrick Silver Metallic
Mods. K&N 63 Series CAI, GXP diffusser, Solo Axle Backs, GT Tails, Shark Fin
Future Mods. 20% tints, Video in Motion
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Capital City G8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarett75 View Post
Thanks for your insight guys. I think I'll start by climbing under my car to make sure everything is still tight. If its not that maybe resonators, I'm a bit hesistant to drop another $150 bucks to maybe fix the problem. So anyone who actually has the V6 with resonators please add your two cents.
Check in the G8 tech thread and go to the V6 engine tech page. We are in discussion about the issues you are addressing. Another member has also posted a video of how his car sounds. It may be what you are dealing with.

OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:33 AM

Sorry, couldnt resist.

2009 Black G8 GXP M6 Red/Onyx
Lots of Mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page