Rust - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Solo Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Rust

Whole system is like that. It's been on for less than a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Its Good To Be Tha King

Who? What? Where? Why? How?

Trigger - Fully Loaded 2008 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/
Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG963 View Post
Who? What? Where? Why? How?

Solo performance. Mach shorty system. Under the car. ______ steel. We all know how rust happens.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinss View Post
Solo performance. Mach shorty system. Under the car. ______ steel. We all know how rust happens.
T409 piping rusts just like the original equipment stainless steel. T409 is a wonderful exhaust grade stainless steel that lasts 15 years plus. An inherent quality of anyone's T409 tube is that it gets a layer of surface rust over time. Almost all original equipment manufacturers stainless steel is T409 and it also gets a layer of rust. There's nothing you can do to prevent it. Unlike aluminized, or cold roll tube the T409 rust only stays on the surface. It doesn't penetrate and rust through like aluminized or cold roll. Our muffler and tips are T304. If you polish the T304 3-4 times per year they will stay shiny. If you neglect the T304 and it gets a few surface rust spots they are easily removed with a smooth steel wool pad rubbing ever so lightly not the scratch the T304. I hope this helps.

Last edited by GOINGSOLO2; 02-04-2011 at 08:11 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:14 PM
'Mod'erator

Oh man. I have had my system over a year and it looks good. No visible rust anywhere. then again I live in cali where my car doesn't sit in feet of snow or deal with salt on roads and what not.

LSA, Pat G DOD cam, RCR TB, 4.5IN Intake/MAF,
CNC LS3 Heads, OBX,
H&Rs, Konis, BMR, Brembos, Slotted/Drilled Rotors
3.27 Gears, 2600 Stall, ZL1 pump, Ice tank
Tuned By Pat G and Luis at RPM Speed Center

Bolt ons Street tires
[email protected] 60ft 1.96 Da 700ft

Cam no stall Street tires
[email protected] 60ft 1.75 Da -200

Stall
[email protected] 60ft 1.66 DA 400ft

Zex 125shot
[email protected] 60ft 1.83 DA 2000ft
second gear launch

LSA 1/4???
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Edit: nevermind, you were talking about the tips and muffler.

Last edited by Justinss; 02-04-2011 at 09:17 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Official Glass Tech

i dont understand, you went for the cheaper 409, without doing any research? if you wanted a pretty system, you should have gotten the 304 and had it coated with whatever chemical they use

FS: 18x8 5x114 Enkei wheels, and SHOEI X-ELEVEN (L) Helmet
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
i dont understand, you went for the cheaper 409, without doing any research? if you wanted a pretty system, you should have gotten the 304 and had it coated with whatever chemical they use
Agreed. It is T409, that is normal.

2009.5 Stryker Blue Metallic
Staggered VMR V710s, Borla Exhaust, Rotofab CAI

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinss View Post

"a few surface rust spots" ?
Yep!

Something that gets hot (exhaust) and will be exposed to rain or snow or salt and other road grime will somewhat tarnish on the surface.

Had you kept your stock exhaust system on teh car, by now it would have looked similar, given your driving pattern.

It's all just on the surface. Stainless Steel does not rust through for many many many years.

If you're that paranoid about how your pipes look underneith your car where no one can actually see, why not get some "steel wool" and polish it yourself? You'll quickly see two things from this exercise:
  1. It surely is just surface tarnishing, and some elbow-grease polishing will return it to luster, until the next month when you need to repeat the process again! Wait until the "drive by wire" aluminum throttle body starts to oxidize on your car, are you gonna complain to GM that it's "tarnishing" when the elements start to react with the aluminum there?
  2. The "important parts" -- i.e., the tips, are more expensive T304 stainless which stays shiny but is more costly to produce. The tips are all most people see. These are very easy to polish and keep clean (no steel wool here; I personally use "NeverDull" and the results are spectacular, on the tips!)
Are you one of those people at car shows that jacks up half of the car lengthwise and puts huge mirrors under it? If so, why are you driving the car in anything other than 100% sunshine and dry weather?

Sorry if this is taken harshly, but do you have an actual problem (i.e., hole through the exhaust system, break in one of the welds, unexplained black carbon leaking out from one of the connections?) .... or are you just trying to learn how exhaust systems "weather" over time?

Mine looks similar, but honestly, I'm not worried. I have no leaks, holes, or broken welds in my setup. If I ever do, I'll have it taken care of. Until then, nothing to worry about, and yes, it's "Just minor surface oxidation" on the stainless T409 exhaust system.

No worries!!

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

I'm not really complaing at all. The exhaust does what it's supposed to do and sounds good doing it. It's just kind of dissapointing to spend all that money on an exhaust system that's been on less than a year and it looks like that. My DT headers that everyone said would rust still look brand new and they've been on just as long. Again, not complaining just probably letting others know that if they are the type that cares about how their exhaust looks then this isn't the right system for you.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
Agreed. Corsa is twice as expensive, and they use T304. IMHO The SOLO sound is substantially better than Corsa, but everyone has different tastes and needs. Perhaps had you researched beforehand the differences between different manufacturer's exhaust systems, you could have used that knowledge to make a better buying decision to fit your specific needs of "undercar shine". I chose to support a customer-service proven vendor, SOLO, instead of one that seems to not care (do a search for "Corsa limp mode")

I would much rather have a fully functional exhaust that has some surface rust on the non-visible areas under the car than one that on some G8's have many documented situations of crippling the owner's car whenever it rains! DOH!!

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Since the topic isn't that old, out of curiosity couldn't you treat the exhaust with a high heat Rust-Oleum product to protect against the surface rust.. if you were worried about it?

2009 G8 GT PSM
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Site Sponsor

There's honestly no need...it would have to hold up to high temperatures....it's only surface rust and comes off so easily. If it's a daily driver, you're always going to have some surface rust form...it does not, in any way, affect the longevity or performance of the stainless steel.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
JTW
You've got mail, YAAAAY!

I got mine used, and they look brand new. The joys of living in salt free snow free Texas I suppose.

2009 GT: MSM, Sunroof Delete, Onyx/Red, Sport/Premium
Original owner and proud of it!
1987 Porsche 911 M491 Turbo Body Carrera Cabriolet
1971 Dodge Charger 500, 383 #s matching
Go:
Rotofab CAI, Solo Axle-Back
X-Pipe, Cortex 93 tune with Rotofab ad-on
Hawk performance brake pads
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 12:36 AM
TeRm1n8D

I use Tarnex. The same stuff that I polish my fine silver with to keep my tips and exposed parts of the exhaust clean. Works well. Look at the before and after.

Before:
DSCN1259.jpg

After:

DSCN1287.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page