Problem with band clamps - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Solo Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Problem with band clamps

I think the first set of band clamps that are directly behind the mid-muffler are shot. I can't seem to get them to seal around the smaller pipe (lap joint), and there is a noticeable gap and soot from the leak. One is actually allowing the pipe to slide back about 1" in the joint (Every other day, I have to push the tips forward to slide the pipe back into place). I'm not sure what I did wrong to cause this, but it seems the clamps are just stretched out. I can't tighten them any further. Anyone else ever experience this?

I'm wondering if I get new band clamps, if it would be better to get the pre-formed ones for lap joints (see below)

2009 SRM G8 GT - Premium/Sport Pkg
Vararam CAI w/HSRK - SOLO HFCs - SOLO Mach Catback - VMS Tune - UPR Catch Can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Capital City G8

They are going to leak. There's really no way they are going to seal completely. Most of mine have very small leaks as well. The Corsa exhaust and the clamps they use are no different. The only way to completely seal them is to weld the pipes together.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:22 AM
G8 GT GUY

Get some high temp silicone (the good stuff) and smear a small amount inside the clamp with your finger and re-install. allow to dry for a couple hours before driving.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...sket_maker.htm

2008 G8 GT: Magnacharger TVS MP1900 @10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors,SLP Headers, Corsa catback

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 AM

My first set of clamps at that mid muffler joint leaked as well. It was through a mistake of my own in trying to tighten the clamps before the pipes were level with each other. I didn't bother to level both sides to each other so that the clamp can smoothly and evenly squeeze and form to both pipes. The weight of the pipes on each other will cause them to sag and create a slight V if that makes sense and pushing up on both sides so that they tuck up closer to the car and make a smooth transition from one pipe to the next.

Napa sells the clamps at about 8-10 bucks each so I bought two more and the orange high temp gasket sealer. I used a floor jack to level the pipes the second time and that combined with the sealer, I have zero leaks at all.

I emailed Steve in detail about this to hopefully include this in their instructions so that more people don't run into this leak issue, but that may not have happened yet. Best of luck to you.

2009 SRM GT w/ Sport, Premium, and Roof
- Kooks LT's, SOLO Mach Unbalanced, HFC Midpipe
- RotoFab CAI & Rad Cover
- Custom PCM & TCM tune done via HP Tuners
- 19" Breyton GTS-AV, Hyper Silver, Continental DWS, 14" Brembo's
- DDM 5000k HID's / 68 LED Fogs
- Suede subwoofer and amp enclosure in trunk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Site Sponsor

Hello and thanks for the post. Making sure the pipes are level is key to getting a proper seal. Condensation will always find it's way through. It's normal for any exhaust. If you want absolutely nothing coming out of the seams, then getting it welded is the only way, but the clamps, when lined up and torqued to 60 ft/lbs do a good enough job to not sacrifice any power or sound. Water dripping out is very normal. Some of the suggestions above would also help without having to get them welded.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOINGSOLO2 View Post
Hello and thanks for the post. Making sure the pipes are level is key to getting a proper seal. Condensation will always find it's way through. It's normal for any exhaust. If you want absolutely nothing coming out of the seams, then getting it welded is the only way, but the clamps, when lined up and torqued to 60 ft/lbs do a good enough job to not sacrifice any power or sound. Water dripping out is very normal. Some of the suggestions above would also help without having to get them welded.
Thanks for the info! I'll try again with new clamps and the silicone, because right now the pipe is sliding back out of joint (causing the tips to stick out more than desired).

2009 SRM G8 GT - Premium/Sport Pkg
Vararam CAI w/HSRK - SOLO HFCs - SOLO Mach Catback - VMS Tune - UPR Catch Can
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 PM

I am going to replace a few. It's been a while... what size are the clamps?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Garage
the exhaust of solo catbacks are 2.5" but I don't know if the clamps are a specific designation or what... just trying to help here...

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stibuki View Post
I am going to replace a few. It's been a while... what size are the clamps?
They are 2.5" clamps. The J pipe clamps are 2.25".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page