Have a listen... ZEPCOM's SOLO SETUP... - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Solo Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Talking Have a listen... ZEPCOM's SOLO SETUP...

Specs are:

Kooks LT headers
SOLO High Flow Cats
SOLO custom midpipe
SOLO MR Resonators
SOLO Mach Unbalanced (with J-pipes and 3" tips)

I love the uneven/unbalanced rumble!

Also in there are my winter shoes.

Enjoy!

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:49 PM

Sounds yummy!!

09 WH GXP M6 Build #456
Mods: Hurst Shifter,Rotofab, SLP Loudmouths,SS wheels (285's)
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Garage
Nice, low, rumble. I like it. Will you be posting a clip with some high RPM revs?

2009.5 LR G8 GT
SHOW: spt/prem
, V8 badges
, Wheelskins, custom console lid, VG sharkfin, 20% tint, custom embroidery, GXP wheels.
GO: Roto-fab, Kooks LTs & H/F cats, Corsa, VMS.

371 rwhp 378 rwtq (dynojet)
Best 60ft. time: 2.01
Best 1/4 mile: 12.979 @ 108.79mph

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda9090 View Post
Will you be posting a clip with some high RPM revs?
This^

Sounds deep. But, do the solo res's quiet it down a lot? Mine sounds so much louder at idle is why i ask?

2009.1 G8 GT Hot White - SOLD!
2011 5.0 Brembo 3:73's
1989 Foxbody - 331 Stroker Complete Restoration
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 10:16 PM

Sounds like a truck, lol. Just kidding. Hey, I thought I was the only one who painted my Calipers blue? It matches my Blue seat inserts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Yea, I can do a rev video, but I would much rather do a rear-facing gopro-style driving video (mounted to rear bumper) as engine loads are much more exciting to listen to than simple revs.

Yes, the resonators tend to take some of the bite and popping out, I didn't really care for that stuff much. And they quiet it down just a bit too.

I will work on another video "as per request" this week. If the weather holds up.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 AM

You're really not helping me NOT get the LT's and HFC's, you know that right? Sounds great!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
lol, just got off the phone with a guy that was asking what I recommended for a "stock gt" mild musclecar option.

Without hesitation, I recommended the SOLO Mach (aka what I used to call solo mach unbalanced +J pipes back in the days before j pipes were co-developed!) ... and later if he chooses to go further, HFC's, and then maybe headers. Due to location and housing concerns, he doesn't want to get too wild just off the bat. Yea right!

Should be cool. I don't usually get phone calls in this regards around lunchtime! LOL

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:12 PM

That sounds awesome zepcom. I got the go ahead to order some headers and cat back. I have made up my mind with the Kooks headers, and SOLO Mach catted connection pipes. I cant wait!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnIrishJr View Post
This^

Sounds deep. But, do the solo res's quiet it down a lot? Mine sounds so much louder at idle is why i ask?
Simple answer: You don't have a solo system.

I find that the solo mid muffler is by far superior to any "home grown" straight pipe solution (at least in my experience, speaking strictly local g8's), but I cannot comment directly on yours because I have not yet heard it.

A lot of engineering went into the SOLO J-pipe design, and I am proud to have been a part of it, and also am proud to have had the results that I have. (video in my opinion is proof that solo sound is amazing!) ....

More videos to come when I can find some dry weather to make the requested "in motion" videos.

--zep

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Garage
The resonators help keep the system a bit less raucus at higher rpm; they kind of take the edge off, so to speak. After getting my Mach Balanced system, I went and had the HFCs put in, but even with the J's adjusted, the hard throttle noise was a bit much for me without the resonators. With the resonators, it helped inside volume a lot, without really affecting the outside sound. The HFCs really help the sound, not to mention the power: even with the Balanced system, it makes my car sound a little like it has a mild cam .

2009 G8 GT in MSM: no sunroof, no sport package, no leather... just the standard-equipment "yee haw"!

Mods: K&N air filter, AEM Brute Force short-ram, Solo Mach Balanced + HFCs + resonators, Livernois ECM/TCM tune(s), gorgeous wife mod
Other cars:
1996 Caprice Classic: dark cherry, LT1, B4U
1977 Mercury Cougar XR7: light jade metallic, rare 302/low-option Ontario car
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:47 AM

Still waiting for the moving/rev sound video.

Whats custom about the midpipe? Like if I called Solo and was to order, what midpipe do I ask for? I'm assuming Solo will do custom mix and match before they ship out product?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Depending on the headers you choose, and weather or not you have HFC's, that makes the midpipe custom or not.

If you have Kooks LT's, then it's not a direct bolt-up solution to any standard catback. This is where the custom midpipe comes in; it was designed to allow to be bolted up to headers, includes HFC's, and then connects to the rest of the catback.

My gopro is having issues, but as soon as I resolve them, I will get a video out as requested. I have not forgotten about that request!!

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMike View Post
Still waiting for the moving/rev sound video.

So... lost my gopro2 on the road, while driving today, hopefully the video footage is good. Suction cup just fell off the trunk during filming.... Camera recovered in working condition! Case, not so much.

Hope to have some good forward and reverse footage with sound to share later this weekend...

Zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
So... lost my gopro2 on the road, while driving today, hopefully the video footage is good. Suction cup just fell off the trunk during filming.... Camera recovered in working condition! Case, not so much.

Hope to have some good forward and reverse footage with sound to share later this weekend...

Zepcom
I'm almost as interested in the footage taken as it skids/flips down the road.

2009 MGM G8GT - Totaled
2009.5 LR GXP
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 PM

I'm really looking forward to hearing the in motion footage. I want to change my set up to HFC + Solo Mach Unbalanced in the baddest way. Ever since this cold weather hit my car has been droning like hell!

13' Ford Focus ST2

2008 G8 GT PBM / No Roof - SOLD

Go: Livernois Stage 1 Cam / Circle D 3000 Stall / Ported TB & Intake / Roto-Fab CAI / Pat G Tune / SLP Powerflow Axlebacks / OBX 1 7/8 LT w/3in midpipe / LS7 MAF

Show: Avant Garde M310 / Eibach & Fe3 set up / Plasti Dipped Wheel and Kidney grills / Debadged / Tint (20% windshield, 5% sides, 20% on top of 5% on the rear) / Bathurst Stripes.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Northeast G8 Owners Club

Sounds good Zep, I too am looking forward to that Gopro footage.

2008 MGM G8 GT
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Might need to adjust your J pipes as per the how-to thread in the solo vendor section. Basically, develop a test loop that duplicates the trouble area. make note of starting point on the rear J pipes with a sharpie... Then change them by an inch.

Repeat your test loop.

Improved? You went the right direction in adjustment, tweak if necessary.

If worse? Went wrong way on adjustment, simply loosen up the J's and return to tour sharpie mark, then go the other way an inch.

After first inch adjustment in the right direction, make 1/2 inch adjustments until perfect.

Hope this helps.

Will get the footing impact footage processed hopefully this weekend. I was lucky I found it undamaged. This time.

Zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Something quick I put together, I'm still trying to get a dual-gopro setup syncronized with good audio for this thread.

Anyways, enjoy the "tumble" lol

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Northeast G8 Owners Club

Thanks Zep, the end of the vid is classic. Lol did you figure out why it fell off?

2008 MGM G8 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
solo , solo performance , zepcom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page