CEL After Installing Mace Insulators - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

CEL After Installing Mace Insulators

Like the title says. Installed, waited a couple hours, went for a test drive and it was fine. Turned off the car and went to restart it and got the CEL. Per OnStar it's an intake-related code, but nothing serious. The only thing odd after the install was the car started slightly hard, and sputtered slightly at first, but nothing since. Could this come from an intake leak if I didn't do the gasket maker correctly?

Sent from work, sadly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Could be a vacuum leak. With the engine running I'd spray a little WD-40 around any suspect intake area and see if the engine revs indicating a leak.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 AM

A couple of questions. Do you have an aftermarket CAI? Did you clean the throttle body when doing the install? Did you check all of the vent tubes for proper reattachment? Did you torque the new manifold bolts to spec? Finally, did you use any gasket compound to seal the insulators?

Okay, maybe a FEW questions.

OGOC (Ontario G8 Owners Club)
09 PBM V6 (Traded)
GXP Diffuser, Mace Insulators, Solo, CAI, FE3, BMR, much more
Replaced with
09 WH GT, Solo Mach, HF Cats, CAI, LS3 Cam, Pat G Tuned, FE3, Whiteline, SuperPro, Centric/Hawk, DAI Autobahns 19x8.5/+35, RE760s

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

I was wondering about a vacuum leak, but I'm pretty confident I got everything attached correctly. I torqued the bolts to spec, yes. I did use gasket compound, red. I do not have a CAI on the car yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:00 AM

Do you have The code number? And did you clean the throttle body? Are you certain no debris got anywhere it shouldn't have?

09 PBM V6 (Traded)
Replaced with
09 WH GT, Solo Mach, HF Cats, CAI, LS3 Cam, Pat G Tuned, FE3, Whiteline, SuperPro, Centric/Hawk, DAI Autobahns 19x8.5/+35, RE760s
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

No code number yet, still at work. I didn't clean the tb, should I have? I put painter's tape over the runners while the manifold was off, so I'm pretty sure nothing fell in. I think maybe I didn't get the vacuum line on correctly all the way to the rear, brake booster maybe? Trying to locate a pair of pliers at lunch right now to try getting it right with the spring clip.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 AM

No you don't need to clean the throttle body. Just if you did, some fluid may have gotten into the intake. Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a couple of minutes and recheck the hoses. I'm curious as to the code, as my insulators threw no codes after install.

09 PBM V6 (Traded)
Replaced with
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Sounds good. I'll try that when I'm home with tools. Before the light came on you could definitely tell a difference, performance-wise.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 11:16 AM

Yeah, I really noticed improvement in the mid range torque. Good mod for not too much cash.

09 PBM V6 (Traded)
Replaced with
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Wasn't able to get to Auto Zone to have the CEL run, but Saturday I took everything back apart and re-did the install. Took the time to paint the intake manifold too, since it was looking pretty bad. Have to touch it up a bit still, but even so it's a big improvement.

Everything's running perfectly now, and the torque gains in the midrange are really impressive. Actually the gains are great through the whole range, really. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the exhaust, next.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:10 PM

That's great to hear man. Glad it worked out and you're enjoying the new power. I find 3rd gear at around 3 thousand RPM is where I really feel it.

09 PBM V6 (Traded)
Replaced with
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Yeah, that's about the most noticeable place I'd say. Also right off the line. Considering it's nearly 100 here the last couple days I have a feeling it's going to be even better come Friday morning, when it's supposed to be in the 50's when I leave for work.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Capital City G8

I keep on see posts about these Mace insulators. Can anyone explain what they are and what benefits I would see, and how they are installed?

2008 Pontiac G8 Panther Black
Comfort and Sound Package/Sunroof
OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appearance: 20% Tint, 6K HIDs 35W Lows, 50W LED Fogs,Debadged,GXP Diffuser, Blacked Out Grilles and Trim, VG Sharkfin, Rear Roof Spoiler
Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekprz View Post
I keep on see posts about these Mace insulators. Can anyone explain what they are and what benefits I would see, and how they are installed?
Well basically the insulators are about 3/4" thick or so and it raises the upper manifold up so the air getting to the engine is cooler and less turbulent thus increasing the midrange power and low end take off is a touch better also.
Remember the better the car breathes the better it runs

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

And the biggest increase is in torque, due to the increased runner length. The midrange torque gains are actually very impressive, on my car at least.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Capital City G8

Thanks for the explanations. Makes sense to me. Where do you buy them and how easy are they to install?

OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appearance: 20% Tint, 6K HIDs 35W Lows, 50W LED Fogs,Debadged,GXP Diffuser, Blacked Out Grilles and Trim, VG Sharkfin, Rear Roof Spoiler
Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
They are easy to install if you know what your doing. You get them from mace performance. There is a install guide if you google it PM me if you need help I have done a few already. Make sure you torque the bolts to spec

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Install is super easy. After redoing mine I'm still not sure what the problem was that caused the CEL, really. Might've been unrelated, I suppose.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Capital City G8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
They are easy to install if you know what your doing. You get them from mace performance. There is a install guide if you google it PM me if you need help I have done a few already. Make sure you torque the bolts to spec
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I have some mechanical abilities as I rebuild jet engines for the A-10 Warthog. But its always good to get advice from someone who has already had hands on. Now to find them and buy them.

OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekprz View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I have some mechanical abilities as I rebuild jet engines for the A-10 Warthog. But its always good to get advice from someone who has already had hands on. Now to find them and buy them.
Wow what a small world im also an aircraft mechanic,went from being auto mechanic to an A/C tech. Cool job .

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page