v6 belt making noise - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation v6 belt making noise

Guys I have recently had the timing chain replaced from dealer and now the belt is making lots of noise, it is getting progressivly worse, goes away when I accelerate but comes back when the motor slows down. I changed the belt but the noise is still there, what is going on? is the tensioner gone? what ft lbs should it have? Is a pully off? Sometimes when I start the car it it bangs but not very often and I can never replicate it, not sure if it is the belt slapping or the starter banging out late.

Any thoughts??????

Brian: Toronto Canada
2009 G8
1987 Grand National
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:19 PM

yea my gf had same issue she has an g6 hers tensioner where bad she almost had 100k miles how many miles do you have on your car?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 10:23 PM

Are you sure it's the belt and not like...the timing chain? If you know when it happens, take the belt off the crankshaft pulley when the car is cold and start the car and see of the noise is gone. Don't let it run too long but just long enough to see if it goes away. What kind of sound is it making? Squeal? Chirp? Rattle? Also, check and see that the pulleys are all spinning properly and that the crank pulley bolt is tight. I had one I did come loose and it did all sorts of crazy things.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Change the belt or put a little dish soap or bar and see if it goes away if it does the belt is dried out and slipping on the pulleys thats the sequel you hear.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

I have 125k on the car, the belt is brand new. The sound is like the belt is rubbing or slipping a chirp. I thought it was the belt being old (original) but I changed it and it was gone for a month but now is back. I inspected the old belt and it was in good shape so I kept is as a spare. Is it possible the pulleys are not lined up properly? I found some signs of sloppy work by the dealer, coolant lines not conected properly and other items not properly locked down, this does not give me a warm and fuzzy fealing about what they did in the motor, as they say want it done right... Free trumped my better judgment in the timing chain repair but now my G8 sounds like an old car.

kgenesse, Ill check the items you mentioned. is there a tork speck for the cam pully bolts? Does anyone know what the tensioner should be in foot pounds?

2009 G8
1987 Grand National
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian F View Post
...know what the tensioner should be in foot pounds?
Drive Belt
Idler Pulley Bolt 58 Nm 43 lb ft
Tensioner Bolt 22 Nm 16 lb ft

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:21 AM

It's hard to torque it as the engine will spin before you hit the torque spec. I just put loctite on the bolt and crank it down with an impact gun. Tight is tight as I always say. I would stand on the side of the car and look at the pulleys from a side profile and make sure they all align. If everything is I check, you may simply need a tensioner. Or, buy a Goodyear gator back belt. I had to do that on one G8 to get the noise to stop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 05:29 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Hey bro heres a pic of the goodyear gator back belt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0152.jpg (76.7 KB, 13 views)

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Update: I tightened the pully's I got a quarter turn, then put a little belt dressing on the belt, normally I hate using that stuff but thought I would give it a go and the noise went away. This morning I started the car and the noise was back and much worse, it stuck around until I got on the highway then it went away and did not come back the rest of the day. So I guess that means the sound is deffinatly coming from the belt, it was too dark yesterday to check the pully alignment so I will have to check that another day.

I get about 50 lbs before the tensioner moves, but that is with an old cheap tork wrench, could not find my good one yesterday!

Any thoughts on the banging sound I hear sometimes when I start the car for the first time? Belt slap?

Is there a identifacation number for the gator back belt?

2009 G8
1987 Grand National
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 AM

https://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56043

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys

2009 G8
1987 Grand National
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page