What Are Headers and Cams - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

What Are Headers and Cams

I've see a few videos on the web of our cars with headers and what they call cammed. What does it mean? I looked up headers on eBay and all I saw were tunes. Some short, some long some with cerammic and all of them had GT or GXP in the title. Does that mean that can't work on my car? Would I have to buy them and find a shop to put them in?

Same goes for the exhaust. What does ax back, cat back, solo, flow whatever all that is mean? What is a mid muffler delete and resonate delete? Are those things I can do? Or do I go to a muffler shop and have them do it? I have never seen one of them here.

My V6 is stock but I'd like it sound as loud as some of the ones I've seen on the web and some of them sound like a GT. Not sure. I could post some of the videos but some sound really good but the never rev it up.

Another question is how do we get black amber covers for our amber lights on our bumper?

How do I get to the lights in the headlights to change them to an led?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 12:27 AM

That's a lot of questions lol. I'll start by saying take your time researching anything you want to do. Just go one modification want at a time and learn about it. I'm still learning things myself and that's kinda the way I've been doing it. Why search ebay for questions . Search here or just good old google, which a lot of times takes you here lol.

Cold air intake , exhaust modifications and a tune are the first three mods generally done when your starting out.

Headers are a part of the exhaust system and a cam is a part of the motor.

There's going to be different opinions on what modification one person likes compared to another , there will be different reasons for that. Financial situation, the sound they are looking for, hp gains, handling on the road or track and so on. Read , read , read lol.

If you can find or someone can post it for you. Find a break down diagram of a exhaust system. I have seen it on here before but cant recall which thread. That will help .

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 03:52 AM

I'll add a bit here:

Headers - The pipes that carry the exhaust from the cylinder heads. These are different from what the factory uses in that they are made from large diameter smooth tubes with large bends that result in more engine power.

Cammed - this refers to the installation of a high performance cam shaft. The cam shaft regulates the opening and closing of the cylinder valves.

Axle back - refers to the muffler behind the rear axle

Cat back - refers to the part of the exhaust behind the catalytic converter

Mid muffler and resonator deletes - refer to taking those parts out of the exhaust system

Last edited by whatnext; 11-16-2013 at 05:58 AM.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 05:42 AM
every village has one

You can probably get sound you're looking for with an axle back system.
A call to Steve at Solo would be well worth your time.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Ins-Z-G8-toR

Go to YouTube and search summit racing videos.. Guys will talk about products/what they are/what it does etc.

09' PBM G8 GT Red/Black Interior-20% Tints-Camaro SS Wheels- 2-12" Alpine Type R Subs w/JL Audio Amp Cam:230/242 .627/.601 112+4 Camaro Trans Oil Pan-B&M Trans Cooler-Spectre CAI-DOD Delete-160 T-stat-OBX LTs
Circle D 3400 Stall-Dynomax 12" Bullet Muffs 432RWHP/403RWTRQ--SOLD
07' LMB C6 Z06-20% Tints-Cam:233/245 .652/.635 113+3-WCCH Stg2 Heads-OBX LTs
AirRaid CAI-Corsa Muffs 561RWHP/508RWTRQ

14' Camaro SS 1Le-20% Tints-Bone Stock
13' Wicked White Evo X--SOLD!
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Sarcasm Personified

Also note there are no headers made for the G8 V6, and few options for the exhaust. Solo makes a bunch of different styles that you may be interested in. Solo Performance is the company that makes them by the way. The GT ones seem to bolt right up on the V6.

I think your only options on the V6 for headers might be Camaro V6 headers. There are a few guys that run them here, maybe they will chime in.

As to a cam, honestly I don't know if anyone has changed it on a V6, or if it's worth the money.

Most of the mods out there are for the V8 cars, there are a few on this forum that have taken their V6 to the next level and hopefully they can answer more of your questions.

Good luck.

2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coAL...e_gdata_player

This person has some good videos of what I want mine to sound like. It's about the only one I foundtthat doesn't sound like a Honda Civic or someone pulling a GT saying it's a V6.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Sarcasm Personified

That's just one of the Solo performance catbacks for a GT. Will bolt right up to the V6. Not sure exactly which model that is though.

post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 01:22 PM

Garage
Check out Hazer396 he is running headers and has the baddest V6 G8 around. It is currently for sale (see link). Click on the (veiw build) link in this thread.

https://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120682

Ken's 2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT Pacific Slate Metallic -Premium
Rotofab CAI, Kook's 1 3/4 LTs, HF Cats, 3" X-pipe, GXP Mufflers, PLX WB O2 & Aeroforce gauges
Rick C Manifold/TB/LS3 valves/Little Lunati/Tune, BTR Spring kit, many appearance mods
VMR Solar Rain V701 Staggered 19x9.5+50 & 19x8.5+35, Hankook V12 285/35 & 255/40
Stoptech, HPS, 12.27 sec 114.6 mph 1/4, 1.96 60ft

Put Jesus Christ in the drivers seat
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 PM

Unhappy V6 Tune

I talked to my local turn shop about my V6, and he said there is not much for the G8V6. The V6 is tuned max out from factory, no chips cams etc, will help much only option is to let it breath better via cai and exhaust up grades but it could get expensive per hp gain. Some better sound and slight mpg increase,
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Ins-Z-G8-toR

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie stallard View Post
I talked to my local turn shop about my V6, and he said there is not much for the G8V6. The V6 is tuned max out from factory, no chips cams etc, will help much only option is to let it breath better via cai and exhaust up grades but it could get expensive per hp gain. Some better sound and slight mpg increase,

You can get a TT setup...if its out there.

09' PBM G8 GT Red/Black Interior-20% Tints-Camaro SS Wheels- 2-12" Alpine Type R Subs w/JL Audio Amp Cam:230/242 .627/.601 112+4 Camaro Trans Oil Pan-B&M Trans Cooler-Spectre CAI-DOD Delete-160 T-stat-OBX LTs

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Sarcasm Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
You can get a TT setup...if its out there.
The stock 5speed auto couldn't handle much more it seems though.

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Ins-Z-G8-toR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
The stock 5speed auto couldn't handle much more it seems though.

Better get Circle D to beef up the trans. lol

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

That is so sad. He's selling his car. I don't know what the TT is. I'm going to look up how to drive in sport mode. I read it is faster in it but I'm afraid I'll grind gears or something.

I got raced today. First a BMW M3 and I somehow managed to win. He wasn't happy and then got in the next lane and tried to cut me off!! So I didn't move and he cut off the car in front. He was not happy at all.

Then a beat up Nissan car from the 90s tried and he kept up at my normal 80 MP until I got tired of him tryingto pass me sand making his car growl.

Then a Kia Soul kept tailing me! I'd speed up and yup, there he or she was. Then I got tired and next thing I know I'm doing 111 and there's at least a mile between us and no one behind me.

Then I saw my exes new guy in her car and even he wanted some. Yeah her old 1997 jeep was nothing.

Blah. I don't like pushing her but when I do I'm a proud owner.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 05:49 PM

Sport mode is a good place to be . It shifts gears for you. You can't screw up in sport.

Nice kills . Careful driving my dude.

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune

SHOW:
TINT
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

I don't know how to turn it on and off. So I'm going to look it up. How do I back up in sports mode?
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:04 PM

Just shift the shifter to the right and you are in sport mode at all times. If you shift to the right and move the shifter either forward backwards , it will put you in manual. Thats where you change gears yourself.

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune

SHOW:
TINT
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Oh that is awesome! So I don't even have to touch it? I just watched Hazer on YouTube on the track and I was wondering why isn't he shifting? Now I see why lol. So sad he's selling it. I'll only sell mine for a GXP or GT. Other then that Nope.

I had a guy stop me and tell me that he envied me for having a bad a$$ car. I thought he was going to fight me because some jerk threw something at him and I laughed because he didn't mean to hit him with a spit ball and he saw me laughing.

So he waited by the door and pointed to me with his friend and I'm all Ok, time to take the bag off and get ready to use that brown belt. Nope. He goes he man you have a bad a$$ ride. And I go thanks.

I just hate that I always almost get hit by some dumb driver.

Today it was a guy in a pick up with hay, a dumb girl, and a dumb guy at Walmart. Then on the free way

Thankfully I'm a good driver and avoided them.

Biggest test is work at my new job with limited space and a fifteen minute window to park and leave with limited space.
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:29 PM

TT - twin turbos
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Decepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coAL...e_gdata_player

This person has some good videos of what I want mine to sound like. It's about the only one I foundtthat doesn't sound like a Honda Civic or someone pulling a GT saying it's a V6.
Thats my car =) that was before my headers my car is alot louder now but this one is a solo performance catback exhaust for a gt its runs about 800

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 V6 PBM A.K.A DECEPTICON
Pacesetter LT's w/ HFC's
K&N CAI, MACE Insulators
Solo performance GT/GXP catback exhaust with j/pipes 3.5 quad exhaust tips
Camaro SS 20" 9.0 245/35/20 275/30/20
55w 6000k HID lows and highs, 6000k cree led fogs
Decepticon arrows
Gxp diffuser
Blacked out: trim, side markers, turn signals, taillights & headlights
Tuned by MACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page