now its throwing a P0008 code - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

now its throwing a P0008 code

Hey guys,
I was geting code P0011 A camshaft position - timing over advanced or system performance (Bank 1)
poor idle,bit down on performance,has a start-up rattle
Well I just replaced the timing chains idler sprockets ect..
now its throwing a P0008 code
i run a diagnostic on the motor while running and seems the timing is fluctuating
between -1.5 , 0-0 , +1.5
could this be a Failed camshaft position sensor or camshaft position actuator solenoid ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 10:06 AM

Interesting that the service manual says to first check if any maint has been performed in that area. It says it is sensing an incorrectly installed secondary timing chain on the bank 1 side and sets the fault code P0008. It also says that it *will not* set that code (P0008), if either the sensor or solenoid for that bank of cams should should become faulty.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
Interesting that the service manual says to first check if any maint has been performed in that area. It says it is sensing an incorrectly installed secondary timing chain on the bank 1 side and sets the fault code P0008. It also says that it *will not* set that code (P0008), if either the sensor or solenoid for that bank of cams should should become faulty.
Absolutely true. P0008 is strictly an out of spec correlation between the cam and crank positions. The timing chain is not installed properly or has skipped teeth due to a tensioner problem maybe?

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
I had the dreaded P0008 code and it was the chains I just had them replaced.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Talking

it was the camshaft position actuator solenoids and thats where the bad start-up rattle was coming from ,the solenoids..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:19 PM

P008 and P0009 Codes

December 13th (Friday), my 2008 G8 with 101,000 miles set the P008 code. My local Chevy dealer diagnosed stretched timing chains. The chains were replaced under the extended warranty I bought exactly three months earlier when I bought the car from the same dealer. When the car was put back together, the P008 and P0009 code came back.
They tore it down again and found the camshaft reluctor wheel and crankshaft reluctor wheel had both spun and were off by two teeth.
So, long story short, 21 days later and a $5666 repair bill, all is good. And the best part was all it cost me was the $100 deductible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page