Car throwing CEL - terrible idle - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Car throwing CEL - terrible idle

Not long ago I had a CEL pop up on my '09. The car ran fine but the light never went away. I had made plans to get it checked out later on in the week (since it was driving fine) and today its started running very rough completely out of nowhere. Throwing many "check engine" warnings and just running/idling very poorly. I managed to get home from where i was and it felt like the car was in some sort of limp mode. NO power at all and worse sounding the higher the rpms went. It also seemed to have issues choosing a gear to be in.

I don't get any odd smells coming from the car > no burnt oil smell, no fuel smells and no coolent/burnt coolent smell. So i'm sure the general engine functionality is fine, (no spent rings or pistons and probably rods/bearings/cam fine also)

Im inclined to think it's maybe a MAF sensor, TPS sensor or maybe CPS sensor though my gut is telling me i maybe have a bad coil pack or fouled plug because it almost feels like its misfiring. i suppose it could also be fuel issues.

fact is, i don't have a code reader and can't get one to me until later in the week

is there a method for finding out what the CEL is without a code reader? (sort of how hondas used to let you short out the pins on the plug and it would flash the CEL and give you a number code that way?)

broke and stuck without ability/funds to get to a dealership
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 04:50 PM

That method of jumping pins A to B (at least in a GM vehicle) at the DLC (as in my old truck) was the way to check codes in the OBD1 era. Gotta have the scanner/code reader for the OBD2 stuff. A good reader should show all the faults detected (based on what your saying the car is doing). Even if you have a parts store that you know would check it for free, it might not be near enough to you to chance driving over for a look see, copy down and reset. As an alternative, you of course could disconnect the battery for a period of time. That might reset things, an maybe allow the car to run normal for now. But you stand a good chance of loosing the information that probably caused your problem.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
That method of jumping pins A to B (at least in a GM vehicle) at the DLC (as in my old truck) was the way to check codes in the OBD1 era. Gotta have the scanner/code reader for the OBD2 stuff. A good reader should show all the faults detected (based on what your saying the car is doing). Even if you have a parts store that you know would check it for free, it might not be near enough to you to chance driving over for a look see, copy down and reset. As an alternative, you of course could disconnect the battery for a period of time. That might reset things, an maybe allow the car to run normal for now. But you stand a good chance of losing the information that probably caused your problem.
I had a guy come around earlier with a code reader.
It was throwing a P0008 - Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1

and a P0017 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)

also, canadian warranty for power train is 5 years 160,000kms. is that considered power train?
it's 2014 so technically 5 years is up at the end of the year since its a 2009, but im curious as i cannot afford this repair out of pocket.

apparently on the 3.6 LY7 having these two codes together means something to do with the timing chain and theres a service bulletin about it.

has anyone had this exact issue before?

Last edited by Albert; 03-23-2014 at 08:28 PM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 PM

I want to say "kgenesse" and "Les" may have had these problems (or portions there of) in the past. If they post up, wonderful. Or maybe you can send a PM to them, and get all the good information (that I know they have) on these fault codes.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 09:02 PM

How many km on your car? If you're under the mileage limit & have good maintenance records they'll probably help you out. Talk to your dealer first, and if that doesn't work then call GM customer care center direct...the phone number is in your owners manual.

Need Wheels or Tires? I can help.
09 MGM GT 1SD With Roof. Sold
09 PSM G8 GXP M6 (1 of 9)SOLD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 11:35 PM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
I threw the dreaded P0008 code in mine and it turned out to be the timing chains were sstreched. Was replaced under powertrain warranty.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 AM

Sorry to hear about your issue o.p.

Are you aware of and able to make the O.G.O.C cruise and meet in late May? 40 plus g8s are signed up so far.

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtroom19 View Post
How many km on your car? If you're under the mileage limit & have good maintenance records they'll probably help you out. Talk to your dealer first, and if that doesn't work then call GM customer care center direct...the phone number is in your owners manual.
I have 152,000 on mine but I don't have all the records for my maintainance nor have I been the most vigelant with it all.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
I threw the dreaded P0008 code in mine and it turned out to be the timing chains were sstreched. Was replaced under powertrain warranty.
Terrible news but good information. Did you end up paying anything out of pocket or was it 100% covered?

I have to call the dealership today during business hours and see what they say. Sadly i live a bit farther away. I don't want to take the car there and be dinged some ridiculous amounts of $ if it should be covered
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony killer View Post
Sorry to hear about your issue o.p.

Are you aware of and able to make the O.G.O.C cruise and meet in late May? 40 plus g8s are signed up so far.
Honestly, after this issue has popped up, I've come to loathe my G8. Its been problem after problem since I took ownership. As of right now I'm not even sure I will keep the car after these repairs.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Ok mine came on at 130000 and fixed as soon as it came on. Your car went into safe mode to prevent damage to engine. Get it in its expensive out of warranty.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Mine was out of wwarranty by 4 days so i ended up payn 500 and change. The dealer called it a goodwill job so i jst paid there deductable. But it is expensive if its out of warranty.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Les, I appreciate it. I'm calling into the dealership today.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
Thanks Les, I appreciate it. I'm calling into the dealership today.
No prob bro anytime if its out of warranty ask for the goodwill plan.
Im here if you need me,Im on steady midnights so through the day I sleep but Im up all night.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
Honestly, after this issue has popped up, I've come to loathe my G8. Its been problem after problem since I took ownership. As of right now I'm not even sure I will keep the car after these repairs.
Keep it I had a bunch of probs when I got mine,there fixed now and Im happy to have my G8.
I had Trans rebuilt
Wheel hubs
And a bunch of smaller things.
It was a pain but now its up and good to go I couldnt be happier. I love my V6.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
No prob bro anytime if its out of warranty ask for the goodwill plan.
Im here if you need me,Im on steady midnights so through the day I sleep but Im up all night.
I'm calling into a larger dealer and so far its been impossible to get anyone to pick up the damn phone. Im close to just contacting customer retention and seeing what that does. I have a funny feeling that even though I'm under the 160k mark I'm probably outside of the 5 year mark.

How hard would this be to do myself in the driveway?
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Damn :/ I'm three weeks outisde of the warranty period. Not the best news.

Guy told me basically to bring it in and have it diagnosed since I'm "not mechanic" or to call GM directly and see what they could do.

I'm frustrated and quite annoyed.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM

Understand the frustration. If you can and want to go, the more the marrier.

Good luck getting her fixed

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 AM

Timing chains are common and known issue for the 3.6 engines. They have been since the first gen CTS.

OGOC (Ontario G8 Owners Club)
09 PBM V6 (Traded)
GXP Diffuser, Mace Insulators, Solo, CAI, FE3, BMR, much more
Replaced with
09 WH GT, Solo Mach, HF Cats, CAI, LS3 Cam, Pat G Tuned, FE3, Whiteline, SuperPro, Centric/Hawk, DAI Autobahns 19x8.5/+35, RE760s
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:59 PM

Did mine in my driveway in 7 hours. Worst repair I've had to do to this vehicle to date. The hardest part is to line up the not one chain...and not two...but three chains so they are aligned to their own sprockets AND the other chains. It requires the removal of the upper intake, loosening the lower intake, removal of valve cover gaskets, AC Compressor, power steering pump pulley and the entire engine front cover. Definitely not for the novice back yard mechanic. I was fortunate to do it right the first time and I've gone 20k trouble free miles since. No noises or anything.

Mine wasn't running any differently however. I wonder if yours jumped teeth.

I would definitely try to call GM's customer satisfaction number and bark up their tree about this issue. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page