Check engine P0009 code time chain or camshaft problem? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hdt176

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Check engine P0009 code time chain or camshaft problem?

Just bought this car of an auction and it had a pretty bad accident in the right front end of the car. Ended up replacing fender, hood , condenser, and radiator support. There was no damage on the engine but i cant rid of the check engine light, I've gotten the same P0009 code from 3 different computers. The fact that the code is reading a bad timing chain is throwing me off because the engine feels ok. I was told it might be some type of crankshaft sensor but I dont know what to believe anymore, i would just like to know so i can do the job myself but not sure where to look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 11:25 PM

It is basically the same problem that member "Albert" has right now. His is a P0008 (passenger side camshafts exceeding their alignment limits). Yours is saying the same thing for the drivers side. Were talking *new* primary and secondary chain replacement kit needed for the fix (I think due to chain wear which equals stretching). That causes those 2 camshafts to be to far advanced or retarded beyond what the computer expects to see. Or something like that.
Read the posts in his thread, and you'll get an idea of what's in store (labor and cost wise) for you.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 12:51 AM

Here in Australia because the V6 engine has been used since 2004, we are seeing this timing chain fault almost daily.

The code is being flagged due to cam phasing being out of wack due to stretched timing chain, or faulty cam sensors.

The cam sensors clog up with sludge is the more common of the 2.
Try pulling them out from the front of the head, remove the filter baskets & wash all
the goo out. Retry after cleaning & giving the engine an oil change also.

The fault is caused from poor servicing & using low quality oil.
When I sold my VZ Commodore V6 it was approaching 200000 km's without a fault, due to correct servicing & using quality components.

I did a 2007 model Commodore Wagon this week with 117000 km's on the odo with the engine that choked with sludge it wouldn't run. I removed one of the rocker covers & there was that much sludge that I couldn't even see the rockers/cams etc.
In this case I told the owner that the only repair would be a new engine.
Here we can still buy new V6 crate engine's from Holden which is the most reliable way of repairing the vehicle.
CdnG8 likes this.

L98 6 liter, VCM cam, valve springs & push rods, VCM OTR
X Force Headers, free flow cats, magnaflow cat back, powerbond u/drive. CHI heads.
G-Force Engine's (Australia) customised tune 438 rwhp
Exedy twin plate clutch.
Vertini 20x10 & 20x8 wheels 295 & 245 Michelin K1 tyres
11.90 @116.63 mph 1.73 60'

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

i work in a used car part shop and everyone around has experience with cars, but they kind of arrogant and dont know if what they telling me is correct. What im trying to ask is that if this job is something that i can do. I have some experience with engines the most complicated thing i have ever done was a tune up on a 09 versa i had witch involved removing the intake to get to the spark plugs. I have also done oil changes. Is there any special way to test sensors or anything related and btw all my experience with cars is body work.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 03:39 PM

I wouldn't recommend taking this on if you're not a qualified mechanic.
Save yourself the heartache & find a reputable shop to do the work for you.
I doubt that there will be a cheap option, but go to a good shop & see what they have to say.
this is what the engine looks like after removing timing covers, inlet manifold, rocker covers etc - HUGE job.

L98 6 liter, VCM cam, valve springs & push rods, VCM OTR
X Force Headers, free flow cats, magnaflow cat back, powerbond u/drive. CHI heads.
G-Force Engine's (Australia) customised tune 438 rwhp
Exedy twin plate clutch.
Vertini 20x10 & 20x8 wheels 295 & 245 Michelin K1 tyres
11.90 @116.63 mph 1.73 60'
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

theres a tutorial on how to do it on this same website it seems complicated but not imposible. Aynomore feed back on this?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olea View Post
theres a tutorial on how to do it on this same website it seems complicated but not imposible. Aynomore feed back on this?
If your not a qualified mechanic I would not try and take on this job. It is worth taking it to someone with experience when ever your dealing with timing an engine. Paying few hundred bucks extra for someone with experience can save you thousands of dollars in engine repairs if you do the job and do not time the engine correctly.

G8 GXP #1526
#18 of 22 Equipped
435whp/416ft Dyno'd in 98 degree heat 58% humidity
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olea View Post

Olea, where are you located? I wrote the tutorial on this website and I wouldn't mind doing it for you if you were within a reasonable distance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

im located in california im pretty sure thats far from all you guys
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 06:23 PM

I'm going through this as GOPHERIT mentioned, only mine is a P0008 code.
I've worked on and around cars for a while and my father has been a mechanic for 40 years so i personally feel comfortable doing it myself.
If you have any sort of mechanical aptitude around cars and aren't afraid to dig in and get dirty, (as well as if you have the right tools) there's really no reason not to do it yourself.

This isn't an easy task and it's not a fast one but it will save you a great deal of money. the Replacement kit costs about $135 on amazon vs who knows how much for a garage to do it.

I'll be doing mine and following the writeup that kgenesse did when he did his (and probably asking him questions in the process) as soon as my kit arrives from amazon and i gather up the other things i will need (oil, filter, coolent etc.)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
I'm going through this as GOPHERIT mentioned, only mine is a P0008 code.
I've worked on and around cars for a while and my father has been a mechanic for 40 years so i personally feel comfortable doing it myself.
If you have any sort of mechanical aptitude around cars and aren't afraid to dig in and get dirty, (as well as if you have the right tools) there's really no reason not to do it yourself.

This isn't an easy task and it's not a fast one but it will save you a great deal of money. the Replacement kit costs about $135 on amazon vs who knows how much for a garage to do it.

I'll be doing mine and following the writeup that kgenesse did when he did his (and probably asking him questions in the process) as soon as my kit arrives from amazon and i gather up the other things i will need (oil, filter, coolent etc.)
I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have while taking on this process.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:41 PM

What is a ballpark figure for having a shop do this? I just got my car back from having the stupid strut mounts and sway bar end links replaced along with the rear diff pinion seal. $1450 later and this code gets thrown along with the ever-present gas cap code.

One constant that remains true in all times and dimensions: the only certainties in life are death, taxes, and the fact that ohio st. sucks.

Go Blue, F**k You
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotzzz View Post
What is a ballpark figure for having a shop do this? I just got my car back from having the stupid strut mounts and sway bar end links replaced along with the rear diff pinion seal. $1450 later and this code gets thrown along with the ever-present gas cap code.
Not sure exactly but I have heard 1500.00 for this. I have heard that even changing your oil at less than 5000 miles that this will happen eventually.No matter what.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 11:19 AM

Oh way to hit on a topic that will make me rage lol

I had a P0008 code, they replaced the timing chain etc. etc. at the tune of $1344 (I bought parts separate)
A day later the car barely runs, first shop cant figure it out , after a week they give up and send me to GM dealership. The find out that 2 of my camshaft actuators are bad, requiring the engine to be pulled apart again.
They replace all 4 camshaft actuators, and car finally runs great again.
an additional $2200 for the second time around.

I'm not sure the timing chain ever really needed replaced
Ridiculous. I'm still infuriated by the whole situation.

2008 Liquid Red G8
Show: Fully debadged, 5% tint all around, completely blacked out trim, Spyder black LED taillights, GXP rear diffuser, Plastidipped front bumper
Go: Rotofab CAI, Solo mach shorty catback
Slow: Hawk ceramic pads
Guided by a passport 9500IX
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy0691 View Post
Oh way to hit on a topic that will make me rage lol

I had a P0008 code, they replaced the timing chain etc. etc. at the tune of $1344 (I bought parts separate)
A day later the car barely runs, first shop cant figure it out , after a week they give up and send me to GM dealership. The find out that 2 of my camshaft actuators are bad, requiring the engine to be pulled apart again.
They replace all 4 camshaft actuators, and car finally runs great again.
an additional $2200 for the second time around.

I'm not sure the timing chain ever really needed replaced
Ridiculous. I'm still infuriated by the whole situation.
Wow some serious coin.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page