Possible engine upgrade? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Possible engine upgrade?

Hello all. I have a base V6 fully loaded. I love this car and its power but I wonder....would it be possible to place the V8 in the V6 body?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Ins-Z-G8-toR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus442 View Post
Hello all. I have a base V6 fully loaded. I love this car and its power but I wonder....would it be possible to place the V8 in the V6 body?

Yes. In fact a member on here Hazer396 or Hazer369 one of those user names is doing the swap as we speak.

09' PBM G8 GT Red/Black Interior-20% Tints-Camaro SS Wheels- 2-12" Alpine Type R Subs w/JL Audio Amp Cam:230/242 .627/.601 112+4 Camaro Trans Oil Pan-B&M Trans Cooler-Spectre CAI-DOD Delete-160 T-stat-OBX LTs
Circle D 3400 Stall-Dynomax 12" Bullet Muffs 432RWHP/403RWTRQ--SOLD
07' LMB C6 Z06-20% Tints-Cam:233/245 .652/.635 113+3-WCCH Stg2 Heads-OBX LTs
AirRaid CAI-Corsa Muffs 561RWHP/508RWTRQ

14' Camaro SS 1Le-20% Tints-Bone Stock
13' Wicked White Evo X--SOLD!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM

As I always tell people, anything can be done it all depends how much money you spend and how you go about it.

For instance, I am converting my girlfriend's 2007 eclipse from 4 cylinder to V6 with a turbo. We bought a whole engine and transmission package and begged them to keep the vitals with it such as the harness and the alternator and starter and stuff. We picked the package up for 1800 and we will complete the swap for under 2500.

To answer your specific question, yes, it can be done. Someone is doing the conversion as we speak to an LS V8. I am in the beginning stages of doing a V8 swap myself with a type of engine not used in G8s at all. If your budget is less than $3k, I would have to say it's not possible. If your budget is closer to $5k or $6k, then it may he possible.

Off the top of my head, you need:
Engine
Transmission
Engine control module
Engine harness
Dash harness modifications
Driveshaft
Differential
Axle shafts
Shift rod
All belt driven accessories

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 PM

It's probably cheaper to sell the V6 car and buy a V8 car.

Gone but not forgotten: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport. Tune is "Down Under" by Men At Work.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Move over >

If you want the v8 sell the v6 car and buy a gt or gxp. Huge headache and you won't ever get your money out of it.

-hood vent mod
-camaro trans pan n filter
-removed engine cover
-drilled front rotorpro rotors
-tinted tails and front yak emblem
-Spare set of 19" GT rims
-custom interior trim
-rare roof rack
-smoked side markers

-New steering wheel to install
-New all black cupholders and shifter shaft to install
-Android[/COLOR] installed]
- Mobil 1 synthetic

I love my MGM G8 GT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 PM

There's no question trading it in would save a lot of money and aggravation. However, what if you have modified your car appearance wise and don't want to start over? What if the fact that it is your first G8 is sentimental to you and you don't want a different car? This question has been asked on every car forum I am part of when it comes to less optioned vehicles and people always jump to say trading it in is the better choice. But for some people money isn't an issue and for some people its worth the time and money to still have their car and not another especially if they bought theirs new. I have strived to have the most modded V6 driveline and i do. Not because it was cheap though. I could've bought a GT with the money I've spent but instead I'm going to make my car what I want it to be because it can't be bought on a dealer lot. The way I see it putting a 6.0 or a 6.2 in a V6 car doesn't have the cool factor and to me personally it isn't worth it which is why I've chosen a more exotic power plant. But as they say, to each his own.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 11:52 AM

If your car is paid for its a no brainer. I've had no payment for about 7 months now and am thinking what I can do.....

People may doubt what you say
But they will always believe what you do
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 04:58 PM

To chime in I have both. I could have bought a Gt for my first G8 but they were expensive. So when I saw my Stryker blue V6 I just had to have it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page