I'm both embarrassed and ashamed. I think I want to be sick. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I'm both embarrassed and ashamed. I think I want to be sick.

I will be the first to admit, I don't follow the strictest of oil change schedules. I've spent the last couple of years broke and barely scraping by, unable to sell my car because of several factors.. As such, I usually go longer than the 5,000km suggested intervals. (typically i go to about 15,000kms) and after 4 years of ownership and gradually getting more and more relaxed on the schedule.. this is what I found when I cracked open my valve covers to do a timing chain replacement:

http://imgur.com/a/MuTlG/

Change your oil. Change it often. Change it more often if you drive your car hard.

Im so ashamed as a self proclaimed "car guy"
CdnG8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 PM
What A Hoser Eh?

What oil were you using?!?!? Thats a lot of crap!!!!

Roto-Fab w/ dry filter, vms ECM/TCM tune, kooks catted mid length headers, solo Mach shorty cat back, camaro 20's, bc coilovers.
post #3 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Whatever they use at OilChangers. 5w30. or at least thats what they said they were putting in.

post #4 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:46 PM

I was changing my oil at 12,000 km's, but since my car has 85000 km's I am going to be changing mine at 8000 km's. How many km's are on your car. Also how long were you changing your oil after being more relaxed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #5 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton13 View Post
I was changing my oil at 12,000 km's, but since my car has 85000 km's I am going to be changing mine at 8000 km's. How many km's are on your car. Also how long were you changing your oil after being more relaxed.
I have just over 155,000kms on mine. I was Going 15,000 on each of mine. the most relaxed I got was up to 17,000kms which in hindsight is WAY too long.

Stupid. So stupid of me.
post #6 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:58 PM

Whoa! I don't even know what to say. I see a lot of issues ahead of you. I don't even know how you can clean that without pulling the whole engine apart. Being as it's a VVT engine the sludge in there is a major issue I would say. Are you getting cam actuator/solenoid codes? If you try to clean it then what? It goes in the pan and clogs the oil pump. I would say most economical option is to abort mission, put it back together and trade it off! I don't feel that trying to clean it without pulling the motor and doing a teardown is even a realistic option with it being that bad! Keep us posted on what you do either way. And a 6 month update...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Livernois 2c, Kooks mids, Borla, Eibach, MGM Camaro wheels, Gxp diffuser, Cts-v brakes. cts-v supercharger Zl1 lid with 2.85 pulley Fast injectors RCR tuned
post #7 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanestang View Post
Whoa! I don't even know what to say. I see a lot of issues ahead of you. I don't even know how you can clean that without pulling the whole engine apart. Being as it's a VVT engine the sludge in there is a major issue I would say. Are you getting cam actuator/solenoid codes? If you try to clean it then what? It goes in the pan and clogs the oil pump. I would say most economical option is to abort mission, put it back together and trade it off! I don't feel that trying to clean it without pulling the motor and doing a teardown is even a realistic option with it being that bad! Keep us posted on what you do either way. And a 6 month update...
Yeah, that was my first thought.. issues i mean. I can't and won't pull it and do a complete tear down. I just don't have the budget for it. i had been getting P0008 and P0017 codes indicating timing chain but im starting to think the sensors were just dirty and giving a false reading. I'm kind of dumbfounded and completely unsure of what to do.
post #8 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:10 PM

Bro that makes me want to change my oil right now . I wish you the best of luck with your car .
post #9 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:12 PM

With that kind of kilometers that is way to much especially with dyno oil. On a low kilometer engine that might be okay. Wow I have never seen this on a G8 before. Are you sure something else was not going on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #10 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
Bro that makes me want to change my oil right now . I wish you the best of luck with your car .
Do it for me man, and keep me in your thoughts!
post #11 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton13 View Post
With that kind of kilometers that is way to much especially with dyno oil. On a low kilometer engine that might be okay. Wow I have never seen this on a G8 before. Are you sure something else was not going on.
I was lax but not THAT lax. I was sure something had to have made its way into the oil or SOMEthing. I mean i've been working on and around cars for years now and i have literally never seen this before.
post #12 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Damn man . Best of luck to yuh.

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #13 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:27 PM

Oil is pretty cheap not sure why you were going that long. The olm was not going off before that. Also there was a revised amount that the OLM should go.

post #14 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:43 PM

All I can say is WOW! It drives me nuts going over 3,000 miles.
post #15 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

i will never EVER go over the 5,000kms again. and as soon as is possible, im switching to synthetic.
post #16 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I had a conversation with my dad, who has been a mechanic for some 40 years. He told me if i can't strip it and do a full clean, then just scrape it out, suck it up with an old shop vac as much as possible and continue on with the timing chain replacement. when done, put cheap oil in, run the car for 150-200kms straight to let everything heat up and work around and then immediately do another oil/filter change and put better oil in. he insists it should be fine and i shouldnt hae to worry about dropping the oil pan or the pump getting clogged. (not if i suck up the sludge)
post #17 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:55 PM

Its quality over quantity.
Some top shelf oils can run well over 10k miles with out breaking down. Some cheap oil is broken down in the bottle.
I've seen construction equipment pass sample tests with the same oil for years.
That pic proves the convenient oil change spot used the cheapest bulk oil they could find.
Sorry about your luck and thanks for posting to show others. Maybe people will learn off your miss fortune.
post #18 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
I had a conversation with my dad, who has been a mechanic for some 40 years. He told me if i can't strip it and do a full clean, then just scrape it out, suck it up with an old shop vac as much as possible and continue on with the timing chain replacement. when done, put cheap oil in, run the car for 150-200kms straight to let everything heat up and work around and then immediately do another oil/filter change and put better oil in. he insists it should be fine and i shouldnt hae to worry about dropping the oil pan or the pump getting clogged. (not if i suck up the sludge)
I hope for your sake he's right. I'm doubtful on that theory but hey it's dad! I'm not sure how familiar he is with VVT systems but here is a decent read. http://www.underhoodservice.com/Arti...emissions.aspx

Again keep us posted after the repair is completed. I'm interested to see the longevity of this engine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Livernois 2c, Kooks mids, Borla, Eibach, MGM Camaro wheels, Gxp diffuser, Cts-v brakes. cts-v supercharger Zl1 lid with 2.85 pulley Fast injectors RCR tuned
post #19 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
Its quality over quantity.
Some top shelf oils can run well over 10k miles with out breaking down. Some cheap oil is broken down in the bottle.
I've seen construction equipment pass sample tests with the same oil for years.
That pic proves the convenient oil change spot used the cheapest bulk oil they could find.
Sorry about your luck and thanks for posting to show others. Maybe people will learn off your miss fortune.
this is so very true. quality always trumps quantity. and thats the last time i make that mistake. i HOPE others learn from this, even if not on a G8
post #20 of 201 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanestang View Post
I hope for your sake he's right. I'm doubtful on that theory but hey it's dad! I'm not sure how familiar he is with VVT systems but here is a decent read. http://www.underhoodservice.com/Arti...emissions.aspx

Again keep us posted after the repair is completed. I'm interested to see the longevity of this engine.
hah yeah, i always go by what he says because he's typically right but honestly i am not overly sure how familiar he is with VVT systems.

with any luck, this thing will run smoothly again soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page