Getting the AC Compressor unbolted - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Getting the AC Compressor unbolted

Ok, does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting the damn thing unbolted from it's bracket? the rear lower bolt is an absolute PITA. I got it to break free but having a bitch of a time getting it lose and backed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:46 PM

Can't find any special instructions for removing the 3 bolts. They make it sound very straight forward on removing them, then sliding the compressor forward a little, then up an out. Sorry.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
Ok, does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting the damn thing unbolted from it's bracket? the rear lower bolt is an absolute PITA. I got it to break free but having a bitch of a time getting it lose and backed out.

Gotta do it through the wheel well. You need a chrome swivel socket and that makes it easy. If it's loose I think you can wrench it out with a short ratcheting wrench.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Car RamRod

a set of gear wrenches helps. IIRC, you have to pull the compressor away from the block as you remove the bolt - I think. give it a try.

You can choose to be anything you want on the internet...why choose to be so stupid!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

The instructions are very straight forward: unbolt the three bolts and slide forward then remove the bracket. But i'm having a terrible time getting that bolt out. I have a swivel socket but its kind of a poorly designed one and doesn't allow me to rotate the bolt all that well. I got it broken free and turned out a few turns but not enough to loosen the compressor free. I will just keep at it, wiggle as i go

thanks lads
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgenesse View Post
Gotta do it through the wheel well. You need a chrome swivel socket and that makes it easy. If it's loose I think you can wrench it out with a short ratcheting wrench.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
went through the wheel well, still a bitch to get at .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page