Variable Valve Timing Actuator code P0021 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kgenesse

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Variable Valve Timing Actuator code P0021

So I was driving around today and my car beeped at me with the check engine light, I took it directly to the shop my friend works at and it turns out I got the code P0021(timing issue), but they avoided giving a direct answer. My friend called me later and told me "The problem is your valve timing actuator went out, or something stopped it from working."

Has anyone else had this problem, if so what did you do and was that the problem? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 04:00 PM

That shows as the drivers side intake cam position solenoid performance readback to the ECM has a problem. They say you *could* swap that solenoid position with another one (say the drivers side exhaust cam position sensor), to see if the circuit will fail again (put the mil light on). If the solenoid is bad, you should then get a P0024 (bank 2 exhaust)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Is there a diagram or something that I can use to help me not screw everything up in my car?II'm not as techy as I'd like to be

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayneJonze99 View Post
Is there a diagram or something that I can use to help me not screw everything up in my car?II'm not as techy as I'd like to be

ImageUploadedByAG Free1403264228.697377.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1403264242.312738.jpg

This happens to be a picture of the passengers side bank but it applies to either side. The round solenoids with the 10mm bolt can be unplugged, slid out, and swapped. Very easy to do. As GOPHERIT said the code should move if the solenoid is the problem and set a P0024

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
CdnG8 likes this.

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:14 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
I had the code after the car was stored for winter and dealer said that because it sat for a few months that it was most likely just sticky. Hasnt come back on since. I did the chains before storage also.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

GOPHERIT said "drivers side intake cam position solenoid performance readback to the ECM has a problem." Which solenoid on those pictures should I switch? Or are there just 2?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 04:03 PM

I don't own the V6 version, and the drawings in the service manual leave a lot to be desired. I can see that the cam sensors are a 3 wire circuit and the solenoids are a 2 wire circuit. That should be easy enough to see. Unbolt and swap those 2 sensors near each other (on that cylinder head valve cover area), that have the 2 wires going to their connectors. I also want to say (not positive on this) that I thought I read that the solenoids and sensors use engine oil pressure to do there things. So it wouldn't hurt to verify that any oil passage ports are not plugged up with any oil sludge.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Oh I gotcha now. Out of shear confusion I took the two connecters that look similar and unbolted those and switched them(first time working on this car). That wouldn't hurt the car would it? And this would be on the driver's side?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 04:51 PM

I'm quite sure that both *sensor* connectors look alike, and both *solenoid* connectors look alike on each cylinder head (for a total of 4 each) and each pair are different from each other (2 pin vs a 3pin connector) If you messed with the 3 pin version, reconnect and swap the 2 pin solenoid units. Might sound confusing (it does to me), but for now you only want to swap the 2 pin units and then go for a drive. Also, a reset of the existing fault (P0021) should be performed, before starting and testing the swapped configuration.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Alright I think I got it now. I was thinking about it too hard, so I switch the solenoids, go to autozone and reset the code? (I don't own the device to plug into the car and find the codes) I apologize for all the questions, just dont wanna risk messing up my car
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 05:09 PM

You won't hurt the car. The camshaft sensors and the solenoids are all the same regardlesss of where they are located. The solenoids have the metal end bolted on with a 10mm screw. The camshaft position sensors are made of black plastic with the three wire connectors and the solenoids do have the two wire connectors. You can swap the solenoids within the same head or with the passenger side head. If they look dirty or sludged up, clean them off before reinstalling them. If the error code changes to reflect the new location that you put the suspect solenoid then you found the bad solenoid. If the error stays where you originally had the solenoid, there is a wiring issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page