Rust in Spark Plug Wells - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Rust in Spark Plug Wells

Changing my spark plugs today, when I noticed rust in my #6 spark plug well as well as on the corresponding coil pack (attachment). The car started up fine afterwards. But I reckon the water got into the well from water coming through the gap between the windshield and the plastic windshield cowl (which doesn't sit flush on my windshield).

I know I need to remedy the gap issue with the cowl by replacing the clips. Wondering what I can do to remove the rust off the spark plug well without mucking up my cylinder (from rust falling in).

Please help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image 2.jpg (19.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.3 KB, 31 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapvelo View Post
Changing my spark plugs today, when I noticed rust in my #6 spark plug well as well as on the corresponding coil pack (attachment). The car started up fine afterwards. But I reckon the water got into the well from water coming through the gap between the windshield and the plastic windshield cowl (which doesn't sit flush on my windshield).

I know I need to remedy the gap issue with the cowl by replacing the clips. Wondering what I can do to remove the rust off the spark plug well without mucking up my cylinder (from rust falling in).

Please help!!

Break the ceramic part off the old spark plug. Insert that down into the hole and screw it in a few turns. Use a small wire brush or a two stone brake cylinder hone on a drill and get down inside there and remove the rust. Then, blow it out with a blow gun on compressed air. Remove the old spark plug, put in the new one. Clean the coil, put it in ad you're good to go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much! Definitely going to try that this week! Quick question though... Is there anything I can apply to the spark plug well to prevent future rust? Also, how do I snap off the ceramic portion? Just saw it off?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapvelo View Post
Thanks so much! Definitely going to try that this week! Quick question though... Is there anything I can apply to the spark plug well to prevent future rust? Also, how do I snap off the ceramic portion? Just saw it off?

The only thing to prevent it is to fix the water leak and make sure that that the seal under the ignition coil is good.

As far as breaking it, put it on the ground and smack the ceramic with a hammer and it'll break. Just make sure you have a way to get it out like a magnet because the spark plug socket will not hold the base to pull it out of the head.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Had same issue Dealer replaced coil and rocker cover under warranty.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

@kgenesse: Thanks! Plan on doing that this afternoon. I just want to be able to prevent this in the future and was wondering about the 1/4-1/2" gap between my windshield and the plastic cowl that sits between the windshield and the engine bay/hood. It just never wants to sit flush and I'm just worried about more water getting in when it starts raining this fall/winter.

@Les: I'm not sure if I'm still under warranty as I'm at around 94K on the odometer already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page