Oil pressure issue at idle - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Oil pressure issue at idle

So I just got my car back from the shop today for head gasket replacements and a bunch of other seals and gaskets. I drove the car to and from work and everything ran great. I get in the car about 30 min ago for a night drive with the girlfriend and I notice my oil pressure is at 0 at idle. As soon as I give it gas the bars start to increase But at idle it sits at 0. The engine temp is fine and my the oil level is fine. I took it around the block and the oil pressure increases accordingly as I keep on the throttle. I let off the gas around 50mph and just glided and the pressuRe went down to 1 bar. Anyone know what's going on? No CEL, or weird noises either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 01:41 AM

Hi sean!

100 Shot, Pacesetter Longtubes, no cats, no resonators, x-pipe, stock mufflers.
Need help installing control arms, rear cradle bushings, nitrous, headers, exhaust, intake? PM ME!!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDpiel8 View Post
So I just got my car back from the shop today for head gasket replacements and a bunch of other seals and gaskets. I drove the car to and from work and everything ran great. I get in the car about 30 min ago for a night drive with the girlfriend and I notice my oil pressure is at 0 at idle. As soon as I give it gas the bars start to increase But at idle it sits at 0. The engine temp is fine and my the oil level is fine. I took it around the block and the oil pressure increases accordingly as I keep on the throttle. I let off the gas around 50mph and just glided and the pressuRe went down to 1 bar. Anyone know what's going on? No CEL, or weird noises either.

Was this happening before the repairs?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Pontiac G8 | LY7 V6 | 6L50 AT Conversion | 3.45 LSD Rear Differential | Panther Black Metallic | GT Tail Lamps | Red Leather Seats | GXP Rear Diffuser

1957 Oldsmobile 98 | 371 Rocket V8 | J2 3x2 Tri Power| Jetaway Dual Coupling Hydra-Matic | Sierra Gold | Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | Autronic Eye

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

No. Seems to just be the oil guage after repairs
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

took it into the shop and had it hooked up to read the oil pressure. It was saying around 7.5-8 PSI but still no bar at idle. They changed the oil and filter and it seemed to fix the issue until I was stopped at a light just down the street from the shop and the pressure gauge read 0. It still drives and sounds fine so we ordered a new sensor and going to install it Monday to see if that does the trick.

2009 G8 GT Sound&Comfort

Mods:

Drilled/slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads
Solo Axlebacks
Resonator/mid-muffler delete
2.5" H-pipe
Rotofab intake
Dyno tuned at New Era Performance in Socal
-339hp 371tq
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 11:32 PM

There's a filter under the oil pressure sensor that can get clogged with debris, might want to check that out.

"Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer."
2009 G8 GT - Self Built - Kooks 1 7/8" LT, Catted connection Pipes, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, VCM OTR, LS7 MAF, Custom Cam w/ DoD Delete, Ferrea L92 Hollow Stem Intake Valves, PSI 1511ML Valve Springs, LS7 Lifters, Cometic .040" Head Gaskets, Cloyes Hex-a-Just timing gear, 7.350" Comp Cams Magnum Pushrods, Flycut Pistons, 11.45:1 Compression, HP/TQ TBD, Pat G tuned.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

I over herd them say put a new oil filter in along with the oil change they did
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 12:34 AM

I'm quite sure "G8One2" is referring to a *tiny metal mesh* debris filter that is installed below the oil pressure sensor itself. I saw a member post a GM information sheet stating that when any oil pressure sensor is replaced, that mesh filter should be pulled out and cleaned. If unable to clean properly, it would be advisable to instal a new filter (an I think a new 'O' ring) in the recess, prior to installing the new oil psi sensor.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

I'll mention it to my shop on Monday. Thanks for the responses. Do you think I should be fine to drive it lightly till then? Work and school
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 06:24 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
I think you should be fine but dont know if I would risk it. But maybe a bad sensor. Also do you see any oil leaks around the engine? Where the repairs were done. Could be a clog since they had the heads off,maybe something fell it near the sensor.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 07:37 AM

Just an FYI.... There is also a oil pressure relief valve in the oil pan that can cause you issues if it gets debris caught in it, or is defective.

"Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer."
2009 G8 GT - Self Built - Kooks 1 7/8" LT, Catted connection Pipes, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, VCM OTR, LS7 MAF, Custom Cam w/ DoD Delete, Ferrea L92 Hollow Stem Intake Valves, PSI 1511ML Valve Springs, LS7 Lifters, Cometic .040" Head Gaskets, Cloyes Hex-a-Just timing gear, 7.350" Comp Cams Magnum Pushrods, Flycut Pistons, 11.45:1 Compression, HP/TQ TBD, Pat G tuned.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Nope, couldn't see any oil leaks. I took yesterday after I got the oil change because they forgot to fill my coolant up all the way and they didn't notice anything either of the time I was there
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
It seems to be pointing to a plug somewhere. But I could be wrong. If its at 0 at idle and not knocking must be obstruction . You should get an oil pressure test done.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:51 AM

Here (all along) I'm thinking V8, when in fact this problem is with a V6 engine. I see that engine uses a complete bolt on (to the engine) adapter assembly, that houses an internal oil filter, psi sensor, regulator, pressure relief, etc. I myself, would have to do some more reading about possible oil pressure problems with this type of engine (my error).
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
Here (all along) I'm thinking V8, when in fact this problem is with a V6 engine. I see that engine uses a complete bolt on (to the engine) adapter assembly, that houses an internal oil filter, psi sensor, regulator, pressure relief, etc. I myself, would have to do some more reading about possible oil pressure problems with this type of engine (my error).
No worries my friend.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
It seems to be pointing to a plug somewhere. But I could be wrong. If its at 0 at idle and not knocking must be obstruction . You should get an oil pressure test done.
I had it hooked up at the shop to read the psi as it was running. Idle showed 8psi he said and as he increased on the throttle the psi steadily climed. It also held pressure when he kept on the gas at a constant rpm. I have to wait until autozone opens to get another pressure test done
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Just go back from pep boys. They hooked my car up to their scanner and it was reading a stead 9-9.5psi. looks like it will be the sensor since two different tests showed I was just fine at idle as far as my oil pressure goes.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 01:09 PM

With less than 10psi at idle, it would seem to me that there is a problem somewhere. I would expect 25+ psi
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffield Steve View Post
With less than 10psi at idle, it would seem to me that there is a problem somewhere. I would expect 25+ psi
For the 3.6L, GM recommends a hot idle of around 10 PSI

2009 G8 GT Sound&Comfort

Mods:

Drilled/slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads
Solo Axlebacks
Resonator/mid-muffler delete
2.5" H-pipe
Rotofab intake
Dyno tuned at New Era Performance in Socal
-339hp 371tq
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 01:32 PM

Wow, I'm surprised at that but then again I'm used to the V8 (it's great news for the op too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDpiel8 View Post
For the 3.6L, GM recommends a hot idle of around 10 PSI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page