Spark plug swap - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Capital City G8

Spark plug swap

Has anyone changed out the spark plugs in their V6? I have the GM database manual and showed disconnecting the EVAP purge line. I'm a little hesitant disconnecting that line. Has anyone changed their plugs and have any suggestions to replacing them?

2008 Pontiac G8 Panther Black
Comfort and Sound Package/Sunroof
OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appearance: 20% Tint, 6K HIDs 35W Lows, 50W LED Fogs,Debadged,GXP Diffuser, Blacked Out Grilles and Trim, VG Sharkfin, Rear Roof Spoiler
Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:14 PM

I was just able to unbolt and raise my upper intake manifold to give me access to the coils and plugs, I also removed the two nuts holding down the air filter housing to give me more room.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 05:11 AM

Even if you completely remove the manifold you don't need to disconnect the EVAP line, just unbolt the EVAP solenoid bracket from the manifold and you're good to go.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule View Post
Even if you completely remove the manifold you don't need to disconnect the EVAP line, just unbolt the EVAP solenoid bracket from the manifold and you're good to go.
Exactly! I remember doing that, 10mm bolt. If I recall, I needed a 10mm socket for the bracket, the nuts holding the air filter box to the fenderwell, and the bolts holding the coil packs on. I used a 16mm deep well socket to loosen/tighten the spark plugs and a 13mm to loosen/tighten the upper intake manifold bolts. The rear intake manifold bolt on the passengers side it tricky to get to but a shallow socket and ratchet worked for me.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Ya I took it off completely, It wasnt difficult at all.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 07:54 PM

Actually you can follow the very detailed MACE spacers fitting instructions to remove the manifold. This is for the Holden but the G8 should be identical:

http://www.maceengineering.com.au/We...stallation.pdf
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Capital City G8

Awesome. Thank you everyone for your info. It definitely will help out. Now I just need time to do it.

2008 Pontiac G8 Panther Black
Comfort and Sound Package/Sunroof
OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appearance: 20% Tint, 6K HIDs 35W Lows, 50W LED Fogs,Debadged,GXP Diffuser, Blacked Out Grilles and Trim, VG Sharkfin, Rear Roof Spoiler
Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 01:17 AM

At what kilometers or miles did you change your plugs at.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 01:43 AM

Did mine early at 70.000km while fitting the manifold spacer to save time later, but service instructions say you should do it at 90.000
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule View Post
Did mine early at 70.000km while fitting the manifold spacer to save time later, but service instructions say you should do it at 90.000
I am at 94,500 km's but I figure at 120,000 km's I should get it done same as my transmission fluid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 08:01 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
I change mine at 75,000. Or sooner depends on m6 driving habits. I just put NGK laser iridium I'm mine and so far work well.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 09:18 AM

I'm going to roll 160K next week sometime and don't know if the plugs have ever been changed. On holidays second week of July so going to get NKG Iridium's installed that week.
Unlike you braver sorts that are doing it yourselves mines going to the dealership as I would like the car to run properly after the installation......
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
I'm going to roll 160K next week sometime and don't know if the plugs have ever been changed. On holidays second week of July so going to get NKG Iridium's installed that week.
Unlike you braver sorts that are doing it yourselves mines going to the dealership as I would like the car to run properly after the installation......
Too bad you dont live closer, or I would do it for you,and show you that its not too difficult. But intimidating the first time.
If its never been done I suggest you get new upper intake gaskets. But the dealership should know that.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Too bad you dont live closer, or I would do it for you,and show you that its not too difficult. But intimidating the first time.
If its never been done I suggest you get new upper intake gaskets. But the dealership should know that.
Thank you very much for the offer Les.
I have changed plugs on the older V8's but these newer electronic engines do intimidate me I am not ashamed to say. Still have a son at a local GM dealership so that helps.
I also wanted to get the suspension looked at. Swapping to the Michelin tires on the GT rims I picked up last weekend really seemed to wake up the cars ride and alleviate some of the ride issues I had. But should have it looked at regardless.
Thanx again drive safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page