New exhaust on V6 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

New exhaust on V6

So after struggling for awhile to find a sound I like, I FINALLY got it where I want it.
I didn't really like my Solo V6 axlebacks, tried using solo MR resonators, tried removing CAI, tried a variety of things and just could not get it where I wanted it.
So I finally broke down and spent the money and got myself a Solo Mach Shorty catback for my V6 G8. I made this video at the request of two other users, so sorry for the night time vid! The sound is still good though!
nvm got it!
https://youtu.be/gNAIxLWAkO0

2008 Liquid Red G8
Show: Fully debadged, 5% tint all around, completely blacked out trim, Spyder black LED taillights, GXP rear diffuser, Plastidipped front bumper
Go: Rotofab CAI, Solo mach shorty catback
Slow: Hawk ceramic pads
Guided by a passport 9500IX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Sarcasm Personified

Sounds pretty good on the V6. This is the GT catback correct?

Should do a vid with some revs and drive by.

2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Sounds pretty good on the V6. This is the GT catback correct?

Should do a vid with some revs and drive by.
Yes its for the GT/Gxp but is on my 6

Didn't have someone else to record it while i rev'd/ drove by. Will do sometime this week while I have my gf record. You can that nice burble/ popping on decel. Thats my favorite part of it

2008 Liquid Red G8
Show: Fully debadged, 5% tint all around, completely blacked out trim, Spyder black LED taillights, GXP rear diffuser, Plastidipped front bumper

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 01:17 AM

Is ther any drone with tht system!? And on a scale of 1 to 10 how wud u rate cab noise!? With 1 being th same as stock
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

There a very small rpm window where there is drone.
Inside the cabin I'd probably say 4 or a 5.
It's perfect for me
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Revving and acceleration will be the true test.

PBM G8 GXP M6-Self flex fuel tune,OBX LTs, Kooks A/B, Monster clutch, 3.45 gear,LSA S/C, cam, fuel system, stock block and stock heads, 12 PSI.
Best e.t 10.41/ best mph 138.7 Half Mile: 168.3 mph
2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,560 D.A
1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback [email protected], 4,200ft D.A
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0o...xsBDzFImcyBfeA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Revs sound great. Acceleration sounds good too though there is a small area where its not the greatest, but is a small area. I wont an out of car acceleration video until the weekend but I can do an In cabin video on my way to work if that would interest any of you

2008 Liquid Red G8
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:46 AM

Sorry but it just sounds like a giant exhaust leak to me. Way to obnoxious. But heck, if you like it, good on you.

On a side note, you should check your idler or tensioner pulleys, sounds like one of them is squeaking.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

thats disappointing lol
It doesnt sound like an exhaust leak to me, but hey to each their own. Its the best I can get it sounding for a V6.

BUT you are correct, It squeaks like that ONLY on a cold startup and lasts about a minute or two. I was gonna post a video on here to see if anyone can help identify the issue and hopefully offer a solution

All belts and pulleys were replaced when I had my engine completely torn apart at the shop for timing chains/ bad camshaft actuators about 10k miles ago, so they should be in pretty good shape but ill double check. How do I figure out which issue it actually is? Ive tried opening the hood and listening but I cant tell exactly where its coming from.
What exactly am I looking for in there? Sorry but im not the best at diagnosing car issues.

2008 Liquid Red G8
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 01:32 AM

Mine was doing that and it was the idler pulley, but seeing you had yours replaced, there might be a misalignment somewhere else. Try and spray some water on the inside of the belt. If it stops the squeaking, it will confirm it's an alignment problem, but it could come from any pulley/accessory. Maybe the alternator is a bit off. What kind of pulley did your mechanic put when he replaced them? I would recommend the high quality Nuline ones.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule View Post
Mine was doing that and it was the idler pulley, but seeing you had yours replaced, there might be a misalignment somewhere else. Try and spray some water on the inside of the belt. If it stops the squeaking, it will confirm it's an alignment problem, but it could come from any pulley/accessory. Maybe the alternator is a bit off. What kind of pulley did your mechanic put when he replaced them? I would recommend the high quality Nuline ones.
I honestly am not sure. That whole experience was incredibly costly ,frustrating and very time consuming . I was so ready for it to just be done that I didn't ask any of the stuff.

Tomorrow before work Ill try spraying water on it.
If it was an alignment problem wouldn't it happen all the time?

It only does it when I the car hasn't been running for like 2.5+ hours. Itll do it for 1-2 minutes and then NEVER again until the car has been off for 2.5+ hours. Appreciate the help btw
If I have a bad belt and need to change it myself how difficult is it? is the parts expensive?
SOUNDS JUST LIKE THIS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM6emjllikM
He didnt find a permanent solution either apparentyly

2008 Liquid Red G8
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy0691 View Post
Tomorrow before work Ill try spraying water on it.
If it was an alignment problem wouldn't it happen all the time?

It only does it when I the car hasn't been running for like 2.5+ hours. Itll do it for 1-2 minutes and then NEVER again until the car has been off for 2.5+ hours. Appreciate the help btw
If I have a bad belt and need to change it myself how difficult is it? is the parts expensive?
SOUNDS JUST LIKE THIS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM6emjllikM
He didnt find a permanent solution either apparentyly
Not necessarily. Watch this video to get more info on belt noises:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPjmBQc2gGQ

Mine was also doing that only when cold and during the first minute of idling.
A pulleys + belt kit is around $60-$80, it's a fairly easy job to do yourself.

Seeing you had to replace the timing chains, I guess you have the LY7 engine, and you should be able to follow these instructions if you suspect the pulleys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjG_EKyt6r8

HTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page