P0008 code is not the chains - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Derekprz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Capital City G8

P0008 code is not the chains

I've been dealing with the P0008 codes for months now. On the first go, my neighbors brother, a GM mechanic, helped me out and replaced my timing chains. He said that they were not bad, but changed them anyway. 3 weeks later I took a P0008 and a P0009 code. Went back and saw my GM guy and he hooked up the Teck2. All checked good and was properly aligned so he reset the computer. A week later I started having an erratic idle followed a week later by another P0008 and P0009 code. Took it back to him and everything still checked good. GM tech support told him to check the reluctor wheel on the crank. Anyone not familiar, the reluctor wheel is used for timing the engine. I would assume its like a crankshaft position sensor. Well sure enough, my reluctor wheel is turning. The only fix is to replace the crank. My Gm guy said he would hook me up with GM discounts and employee pricing. So I had 2 options, the first being a crank with a warranty of 12 month 12,000 miles. The other option for $800. more is a new engine with 100,000 mile warranty. So my 7 year old 78,000 mile car is getting another engine because of some stupid ass wheel on the crankshaft.
blownLS4 likes this.

2008 Pontiac G8 Panther Black
Comfort and Sound Package/Sunroof
OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appearance: 20% Tint, 6K HIDs 35W Lows, 50W LED Fogs,Debadged,GXP Diffuser, Blacked Out Grilles and Trim, VG Sharkfin, Rear Roof Spoiler
Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 11:54 PM

I had a similar issue
my chains were replaced even though they were fine, ended up being the camshaft actuators that were bad

2008 Liquid Red G8
Show: Fully debadged, 5% tint all around, completely blacked out trim, Spyder black LED taillights, GXP rear diffuser, Plastidipped front bumper
Go: Rotofab CAI, Solo mach shorty catback
Slow: Hawk ceramic pads
Guided by a passport 9500IX
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 07:49 AM

If the reluctor wheel is attached to the crank, why can't it be replaced instead of the whole crankshaft? Any details (anyone)?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Capital City G8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
If the reluctor wheel is attached to the crank, why can't it be replaced instead of the whole crankshaft? Any details (anyone)?
I've read up about it. The crankshaft is balanced with the reluctor wheel installed. You can't just put another wheel on because they claim it will throw the crank balance off.

OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appearance: 20% Tint, 6K HIDs 35W Lows, 50W LED Fogs,Debadged,GXP Diffuser, Blacked Out Grilles and Trim, VG Sharkfin, Rear Roof Spoiler
Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekprz View Post
I've read up about it. The crankshaft is balanced with the reluctor wheel installed. You can't just put another wheel on because they claim it will throw the crank balance off.
Im having the same issue here in Australia. I used a genuine holden kit and my code never went away, I really hope this isn't the issue!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Capital City G8

I just got my car back this past weekend. I now have a rebuilt engine and all is working great. Now I have to break it and drive reasonable for a couple thousand miles.

OEM XM, OEM Bluetooth

GT Brakes

Capital City G8 Car Club

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Performance:
Roto-Fab CAI, GT Brakes,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page