Timing chain - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Timing chain

I would like to know what mileage you started having timing chain problems.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:16 PM
ZIm

It can happen at 5 miles or 150k miles. A lot of variables.

2008 GT/G8: first 888
SLP LTH
MagnaFlow full exhaust with free flowing cats
Trunion upgrade
Lingenfelter CNC Ported LS3 Heads with hollow stem intake valves & Inconnel exhaust valves with Patriot extreme dual springs and Titanium retainers
Magnuson 2300 supercharger
CTS-V fuel pump by vapor worxs
LS9 injectors
DoD delete Cam Stage 1
Complete Spohn suspension upgrades front and rear
Rear cradle bushings
Spohn body brace
Aero gauges (pod)
Koni shocks
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:50 PM
I'd Rather Be Shifting

I reused mine for my LS3 DOD delete... already had 120k miles on it and looked fine.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

This is for the V6 not the GT.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 PM
I'd Rather Be Shifting

That's what I get for just looking at new posts on my phone, lol
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
I've noticed alot of chains going around 130,000 kms. Mine went around that kms also.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

For me that's another 2 to 2.5 years time will tell.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 08:37 PM
OGOC member

I just had to do mine - changed at 157,000 km - the CEL was on and off for about the previous 5,000 km. My usual mechanic did not want to do the job so it went to the local GM Dealer. Timing works fine (no CEL), but there is now a serious vibration in the A/C compressor. Dealer claims that moving the A/C unit when changing the chains could not have caused the vibration. Apparently it is just a "coincidence" that there was no vibration when it went in and big vibration when it was returned. As you might imagine, I am not a happy camper!

2009 V6 Panther Black
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M. View Post
I just had to do mine - changed at 157,000 km - the CEL was on and off for about the previous 5,000 km. My usual mechanic did not want to do the job so it went to the local GM Dealer. Timing works fine (no CEL), but there is now a serious vibration in the A/C compressor. Dealer claims that moving the A/C unit when changing the chains could not have caused the vibration. Apparently it is just a "coincidence" that there was no vibration when it went in and big vibration when it was returned. As you might imagine, I am not a happy camper!
I am sure you have gone back, but they must be able to fix it properly. I would speak to the manager.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:52 PM
OGOC member

did that - no success - they are happy to fix it, but at my cost - I don't think I want anything to do with them anymore - Until the G8 I had not purchased GM for years and now I remember why!

2009 V6 Panther Black
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
did that - no success - they are happy to fix it, but at my cost - I don't think I want anything to do with them anymore - Until the G8 I had not purchased GM for years and now I remember why!
Which GM dealer is that. Did you call GM directly to voice your problem with that dealership.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:43 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Are you sure its the A/C compressor? Maybe something loose. Just a thought.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 07:26 PM
OGOC member

Yeah - definitely the A/C compressor - I am continuing to follow up with dealership. Thanks for the comments!

2009 V6 Panther Black
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah - definitely the A/C compressor - I am continuing to follow up with dealership. Thanks for the comments!
Still like to know what dealership as I will probably have to get this done at some point.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:12 PM

Just received the dreaded P0008 engine code today. I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer to see how much they'll charge. I called GM and they stated that other GM vehicles with the HFV6 are covered under warranty but the G8 is not. He stated that there could be different parts or my car could be manufactured in a different country as reasons my G8 wasn't covered. Has anyone recently had any luck getting their timing chain fixed under warranty as of late? I think it's total BS that they extend the warranty for only certain GM vehicles.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
I was 4 days out of warranty when mine went and they didn't want to cover it. But after some discussion with the manager they offered and I took it. A goodwill plan they called it and I ended up paying $540 to have mine done. Ask your dealer about the goodwill plan and be firm they may give it to you.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Any new developments on this.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:50 AM

Garage
Here in Australia the price for the full chain and tensioner kit to be done at a Holden dealer will set you back $2800-3500.
I bought a workshop manual and did mine myself for $750, what a job. Did a little after work each night in the driveway in the dark with a led light and took me 5 nights or about 10-12 hours. My engine light use to come on then go off, for about a year I took a gamble and kept driving it till it ended up with about the same power output as a cheap sowing machine and then did it. My mate who is a Holden mechanic kept telling me not to leave it to long and then one day at the dealership showed me one engine that didn't get it done in time, what a mess.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 03:59 PM

After complaining to the dealer, they gave me $750 off bringing the total cost to $2k. I called four other shops around the area and all were within $100 of what the dealer was charging. I called GM twice asking fro some sort of compensation since the fault lies with them and the chain not being properly heat-treated. They told me I can't receive anything due to my car being made in Australia.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:10 PM
OGOC member

norton13 - some minor concessions from the dealership - I will PM you with further info.

2009 V6 Panther Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page