Oil change intervals on the V6 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Oil change intervals on the V6

I have been changing my oil at 8000 km's 4970 miles due to the timing chain problems. What intervals have other V6 users been changing at. When I first got my car I went by the OLM only once but that was over 4 years ago. That was over 12,000 kms 7500 miles between changes which for this engine is not a geed idea.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 07:17 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
I change mine every 8000 kms. I use Castrol titanium synthetic oil.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 09:15 AM

I intended to do mine ever 75-8000KM but forgot what mileage to change it at and let it slide to over 10000km right now.
The oil change light hasn't come on yet and when I pulled the dipstick the oil still looks good.
By the end of the month it will be done....and I will write done the mileage this time....if I remember....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 09:34 AM

From day one I change my oil every 5k I use mobil 1 full synthetic oil 10w30 with on extra qt of dura lube additive for a total of 8 qts,I know the manual states that the v6 takes 7qts but with all the timming chain issue with the gm 3.6 liter v6 the additional qt of oil i feel is crucial for added lubrication.the system does not have enough oil for the cam actutors that need constant oil;when my car reached 30k i changed to mobil 1 extended performed 10w30 full synthetic still with the added qt of dura lube my intervals are now every 10k for the oil and changing the oil filter only every 5k.I have not had any correlation timming issue or any oil leaks,I just reached 115k mile on the car.

Year:2008
color:ignition orange;interior black leather
option:comfort and sound;premium package
new:august 2008 original owner
mods:20%window tint,6k led headlights and led fog lights,X-pipe,k&n air filter,hawk hps front and rear brake pads with r1-concepts premium series brake rotors
slotted and crossed drilled:general g-max as-03 tires;dvd in both headrest from myron & davis;auto dimming mirror.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 10:27 AM

I change it every 3k with whatever is on the oil change special at autozone. 5w30 conventional and I use a qt of mystery marvel oil every oil change. I peridodically will use seafoam in the oil for about 100 miles before changing oil too. I have 140K now, so far so good, I've never even seen a check engine light on this car...knock on wood.

Mods:
14 Chevy SS Aluminum Front Suspension Swap
14 SS Front Sway Bar(26mm)
14 Chevy SS Rear Subframe/Suspension Swap
14 Chevy SS Rear Sway Bar (28mm)
14 Chevy SS Wheels Charcoal Powder Coated
17 SS Red Brembo's
3.27 SS Rear Diff
Super Pro Poly Radius Arm Bushing
BMR Poly Front LCA
Koni Struts w/Whiteline Poly Strut Mounts
Pedders Springs
GXP transmission cooler
Bluetooth
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJD5 View Post
I change it every 3k with whatever is on the oil change special at autozone. 5w30 conventional and I use a qt of mystery marvel oil every oil change. I peridodically will use seafoam in the oil for about 100 miles before changing oil too. I have 140K now, so far so good, I've never even seen a check engine light on this car...knock on wood.
It is good to hear that some of these cars can go the distance without the timing chain issues.140,000 is miles correct.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton13 View Post
It is good to hear that some of these cars can go the distance without the timing chain issues.140,000 is miles correct.
Right, 140K Miles. I wonder how long it will really go. It still runs like new. I do periodic seafoam cleaning to the intake aslo about every 10K. These engines(pretty much just as any newer VVT engine) really need to stay clean to run right and last.

Mods:
14 Chevy SS Aluminum Front Suspension Swap
14 SS Front Sway Bar(26mm)
14 Chevy SS Rear Subframe/Suspension Swap
14 Chevy SS Rear Sway Bar (28mm)
14 Chevy SS Wheels Charcoal Powder Coated
17 SS Red Brembo's
3.27 SS Rear Diff
Super Pro Poly Radius Arm Bushing
BMR Poly Front LCA
Koni Struts w/Whiteline Poly Strut Mounts
Pedders Springs
GXP transmission cooler
Bluetooth
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Mine went at 133,000 kms.
I also use an additive called Restore. This stuff works great.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page