20% Underdrive Pulley - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

20% Underdrive Pulley

Hey Guys,

I was researching some easy ways to mod/increase horsepower in the g8 v6 and came across the 20% underdrive pulley from MACE. I searched through the threads on the board looking for advice/answers for this particular item, but did not find much that helped.

Has anyone installed the underdrive pulley to their cars? If so, did you notice any increase in performance? The claims on the website are an increase in about 8 hp which seemed high to me. So far I have installed a k&n intake and a 12mm manifold insulator from MACE and i figured the underdrive pulley would complement these 2 upgrades.

Also, I am not worried about whether or not the purchase is worth the money. I am completely fine with dropping around 300 bucks for a few ponies/increase in performance. Also, I do not plan on selling my car to get a v8 either. I have considered this option and it is not realistic for me at the moment.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:41 AM

My G8 is also a V6 and I've left it bone stock.
I asked questions about bolt on parts like these when I first joined the board, one answer that stuck out was "if it was that great they would have done it at the factory".
If I was inclined I would go with an aftermarket/up-graded exhaust to compliment the CAI so she's breath better.
Some have gone with the Overkill tune to give it more umph.
The fact is there are less mods available for our V6s than the V8s.
But hey for $300 give it a go see what happens.
Hopefully Les on the board sees this and chimes in, no one has done more to get more HP out of a V6 than he has.
Drive safe.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:37 PM

I have done very little with my v6 as I ended spending the bulk of my money on my GT. The overkill tune did make a bit of difference, but made the biggest differences on the shift points. Since this was in the early stages of the tune i did not pursue it further.If you really want to mod your V6 you can but it can add up pretty fast.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 03:21 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Hey guys,
Just saw this I didn't know there was one for it I will look into it ans see. But $300 Hmmm not to sure .Will look and get back.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Les,

I have installed the underdrive pulley as of yesterday. It was a little bit hard to find on the MACE website. They mentioned somewhere in the page that it would fit the LY7, or, the Commodore VE (Alloytech) which is the equivalent according to someone at MACE. It does not seem clear whether or not it would fit the V6 G8's but I emailed them and confirmed that it would. It fits well, it is torqued to specs and so far it seems to kick harder at 30 when the hammer is dropped. I have other upgrades so I was unable to compare it to bone stock but I am happy with the results. It came with 1 20% underdrive pulley, two idler pulleys, and a poly-V drive belt. It is a little confusing ordering from AU with the money conversions but after it was all said and done I ended up paying 254 U.S. dollars.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Hey guys,
Just saw this I didn't know there was one for it I will look into it ans see. But $300 Hmmm not to sure .Will look and get back.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:14 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHedgehog View Post
^^^^^^^^
I may have to order one for myself then.
I will have to check with Will(Overkill) to see if adjustments need to be made.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

If you end up ordering it make sure you get the correct one. There is another underdrive pulley on MACE's website that looks very similar and advertises for different makes of commodore. With a little digging you should be able to find the V6 G8 belt configuration diagram on the correct page. Best of luck. Keep us updated with the pursuit.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

The one I bought was called the "VZ - VE POWER PULLEY KIT" when you click the drop down box for pulley options. It should read 329.00$ in GST.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHedgehog View Post
The one I bought was called the "VZ - VE POWER PULLEY KIT" when you click the drop down box for pulley options. It should read 329.00$ in GST.
Ok thanks,good to know.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton13 View Post
I have done very little with my v6 as I ended spending the bulk of my money on my GT. The overkill tune did make a bit of difference, but made the biggest differences on the shift points. Since this was in the early stages of the tune i did not pursue it further.If you really want to mod your V6 you can but it can add up pretty fast.
I plan on keeping the V6 until it breaks or until I pass it on to a younger sibling so I don't mind dropping a few bills for a few upgrades. I do realize that the costs can add up but do not plan on going hog wild trying to beef up my car until I have every upgrade on the market. So far I have spent about 600 bucks total and may continue with 400$ headers and a tune from Overkill. A little over 1k upgrades for car I plan on keeping forever is justifiable in my eyes.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:53 AM

Save your money. Underdrive pullies do not make a notable improvement in hp these days.

PBM G8 GXP M6-Self flex fuel tune,OBX LTs, Kooks A/B, Monster clutch, 3.45 gear,LSA S/C, cam, fuel system, stock block and stock heads, 12 PSI.
Best e.t 10.41/ best mph 138.7 Half Mile: 168.3 mph
2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,560 D.A
1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback [email protected], 4,200ft D.A
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0o...xsBDzFImcyBfeA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
My G8 is also a V6 and I've left it bone stock.
I asked questions about bolt on parts like these when I first joined the board, one answer that stuck out was "if it was that great they would have done it at the factory".
If I was inclined I would go with an aftermarket/up-graded exhaust to compliment the CAI so she's breath better.
Some have gone with the Overkill tune to give it more umph.
The fact is there are less mods available for our V6s than the V8s.
But hey for $300 give it a go see what happens.
Hopefully Les on the board sees this and chimes in, no one has done more to get more HP out of a V6 than he has.
Drive safe.
that's not always true. look at our horrible intake and mufflers designed to make it quieter. or it could hurt mpg.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's, Kayhan headunit
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
There is alot you can do to the V6 now to get the most out of it.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick update:

Driving around on the highway with the underdrive pulley installed I have some MPG statistics. Also note that I just moved out of my apartment so every inch of the car besides the drivers seat and the middle console was completely filled so the car was HEAVY.

All Cruise Control: Each speed was measured for about 10 miles.
70 mph : 29 mpg
79 mph : 25.3 mpg
83 mph : 24 mpg

I will update this again once I do more tests with a lighter car.

Current Upgrades In Order Of Installation:
12mm Intake Manifold Insulators (MACE)
K&N, Cold Air Intake
20% Underdrive Power Pulley Kit. (Powerbond from MACE)
Possible Future Upgrades. (Suggestions Welcome):
Ported Stock Exhaust Manifolds. 76mm Throttle Body. Ported Intake Manifold. Tune.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 PM

i have installed this pulley kit as well looking to this spring to really see how it feels on the road and will be getting the car on a dyno as well to see my improvements over last year.. i have a install vid of the kit if anyone is interested

Saskatchewan proud G8 owner 09 base
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 07:14 PM

I noticed mine Revs up a bit quicker with the UD Pulley installed. The engine shakes a touch more at Idle now.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:09 PM

i noticed the same when just reving mine up in the driveway still smooth at idle up. cant wait to try it out on the road

Saskatchewan proud G8 owner 09 base
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:21 PM

Hi, i was looking for something to give the v6 a little more umph, without making it uncontrollable and this seems to fit the bill. Is the pulley something that can be installed by a person with a lottle experience working on cars? Ive never worked for a mechanic but i do a lot of my own work.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratguy View Post
Hi, i was looking for something to give the v6 a little more umph, without making it uncontrollable and this seems to fit the bill. Is the pulley something that can be installed by a person with a lottle experience working on cars? Ive never worked for a mechanic but i do a lot of my own work.

I installed the underdrive pulley on my own and I am a college student with no shop experience. It took me about 4 hours to do but that is only because I had trouble finding a pulley puller tool that fit the original harmonic balancer. Also, I was working very slow and careful to make sure I didn't damage anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page