New to forum...Looking for help with V6 exhaust - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

New to forum...Looking for help with V6 exhaust

Hi, just joined the forum, had our G8 V6 since about Feb. of this year. So far all we have done is add a K&N CAI.

We want to add a catback exhaust setup with longtube headers and high-flow cats. I've been reading on here, mainly from hazer and blackpanther about what they've done with their V6 G8s. So we purchased Solo's mach shorty catback exhaust kit for the V8 (heard that it would bolt right onto the V6), Solo's ultra high flow converters for the V8, and Pacesetter longtube headers for a Camaro SS 3.6.

So... we take it to the exhaust shop yesterday, and he tells us the longtube headers will not fit and the V8 high-flow cats likely won't either. Opinions?? Should I take it elsewhere and see what they say, or do we need other parts? The mechanic yesterday suggested buying shorty headers, but we wanted longtubes. Note, we've never been here before so I don't know how reputable they are.

I can provide part numbers/links of what we bought if necessary, would appreciate any help!! Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 06:28 PM

I'm one of the few guys one here doing up the V6 I put headers on as well as other stuff have videos on my tread
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahlynn4213 View Post
Hi, just joined the forum, had our G8 V6 since about Feb. of this year. So far all we have done is add a K&N CAI.

We want to add a catback exhaust setup with longtube headers and high-flow cats. I've been reading on here, mainly from hazer and blackpanther about what they've done with their V6 G8s. So we purchased Solo's mach shorty catback exhaust kit for the V8 (heard that it would bolt right onto the V6), Solo's ultra high flow converters for the V8, and Pacesetter longtube headers for a Camaro SS 3.6.

So... we take it to the exhaust shop yesterday, and he tells us the longtube headers will not fit and the V8 high-flow cats likely won't either. Opinions?? Should I take it elsewhere and see what they say, or do we need other parts? The mechanic yesterday suggested buying shorty headers, but we wanted longtubes. Note, we've never been here before so I don't know how reputable they are.

I can provide part numbers/links of what we bought if necessary, would appreciate any help!! Thank you!!
Go somewhere else. It's an exhaust shop, not a bolt-on shop. If it doesn't fit, modifying it so it fits, to a reasonable level.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 10:34 PM

Here is my exhaust set up camaro V6 longtubes headers they bolt right up just hang a bit lower then they should. Think a couple guys cut there's a little shorter to bolt up to the aftermarket system I went full custom with h pipe purple horny glass packs and slp loudmouths axle backs

Saskatchewan proud G8 owner 09 base
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
It needs a tune.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christojesus View Post
I'm one of the few guys one here doing up the V6 I put headers on as well as other stuff have videos on my tread
I'll check it out, thanks! What headers did you use?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christojesus View Post
Here is my exhaust set up camaro V6 longtubes headers they bolt right up just hang a bit lower then they should. Think a couple guys cut there's a little shorter to bolt up to the aftermarket system I went full custom with h pipe purple horny glass packs and slp loudmouths axle backs
I see now, thanks. The shop I went to had to have been wrong. The headers were for a Camaro SS 3.6.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule View Post

Go somewhere else. It's an exhaust shop, not a bolt-on shop. If it doesn't fit, modifying it so it fits, to a reasonable level.
We plan on it now, won't be going back there. It's so hard to find anyone around this area that knows aftermarket parts/wants to do the work.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
It needs a tune.
Lol, it'll be getting? one after the parts are added
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I see now, thanks. The shop I went to had to have been wrong. The headers were for a Camaro SS 3.6.
Good exhaust shops are going the way of the dinosaur around my area anyway.
Only two I'd trust with anything on my G8.
With the "rarity" of our cars the majority of shops wouldn't know what fits anyway.
Good luck.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
With the "rarity" of our cars the majority of shops wouldn't know what fits anyway.
Good luck.
Same here unfortunately. Half of the shops will say "you mean G6?" when I call them. And I basically live in the ghetto where no one even has a nice car, there are no performance shops or anything like that around here.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 11:58 PM
Brutus

Quote:
Same here unfortunately. Half of the shops will say "you mean G6?" when I call them. And I basically live in the ghetto where no one even has a nice car, there are no performance shops or anything like that around here.
LOL.. Fly like a G6. Hellll No. Half my peeps same deal when they see the car, "What is that"
Simply reply .. PONTIAC !
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 12:02 AM
Brutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
Good luck.
I called these guys the other day regarding and exhaust for my bike, and his exact quote "We can do pretty much anything"
I have a kind of rare bike where there are no cheap exact bolt ups. And I was like ooohh reallly..

Has anyone checked these guys out or has any feedback regarding?
http://www.gtcustomexhaust.com/
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 08:16 AM

Wrong end of town for me. In the west end its either Zoro's or Hot Rod Scott.
Zoro's being the most affordable.
HRS is the go to custom guy but charges custom prices too.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 08:42 PM

Can not go wrong with Zoro they put on my GT headers & their Solo HF cats kit.

K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:24 PM

Subscribe

'08 G8 - VE Commodore SV6 - HW, Sunroof, Premium, Comfort & Sound
Mods: Commodore Conversion (Front Bar/Grille, Bonnet, Spoiler, Badges, Wheel Centre Caps) Steering Wheel Airbag, Holden Cluster, Leather Console Lid, Holden Shift Knob; Auto-Dimming Mirror (w/o airbag nag), S2 IQ Radio, VG Shark Fin
, Aspheric Door Mirrors, Exterior Boot Release, GMH Rear Window Sunshade, GMH Radiator Cover, GT Boot Lid Liner, GT 2.92 L.S.D., Parking Sensors, Reverse Cam.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:31 PM

I also used 3.6 Camaro headers and at least in my experience you have to modify the factory pipes to get them to line up. The G8s setup is “wider”. Luckily for me I run a shop and build exhaust everyday so I lined up the passenger side then cut the drivers side and shortened it to bring it in to line up. Any competent exhaust shop should be able to handle that but key word is competent. I do see where it’d be tight fitting some cats in there but it’s doable. I left mine off and deleted the rear O2s in my tune.

2009 Panther Metallic G8- 3.6, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Longtubes, X-pipe through Stock Mufflers, 3.45 LSD swap, Tuned by Swindle Speed Shop, Megan Racing Coilovers, Centerline Afterburner 20x9/20x10.5 wheels etc etc
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:06 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
I also used 3.6 Camaro headers and at least in my experience you have to modify the factory pipes to get them to line up. The G8s setup is “wider”. Luckily for me I run a shop and build exhaust everyday so I lined up the passenger side then cut the drivers side and shortened it to bring it in to line up. Any competent exhaust shop should be able to handle that but key word is competent. I do see where it’d be tight fitting some cats in there but it’s doable. I left mine off and deleted the rear O2s in my tune.
Hey man there's only a few of us who have upgraded our v6s . but you can do more than you think. I suggest a tune of course. Always happy to help.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page