Safety mode, 6 error codes for TB/ECM failure, replaced TBS - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Safety mode, 6 error codes for TB/ECM failure, replaced TBS

My wife's 2008 V6 G8 has experienced random bouts of going into safety mode for at least two years. Wasn't that bad at first. Would only usually happen in colder temps at first, but started happening a lot more frequently. Usually could restart, sometimes a few times, but then it would be fine. Hadn't done it in a few months until a week ago on Saturday night.

Went into safety mode, started sputtering at high idle but barely accelerating and hard to even work up to 30mph and no amount of restarts did a thing. Was the only car at the time, so we had to drive it like that a bit on the weekend and then to and from work Monday and Tuesday. It was very dangerous, would not suggest it.

Seen some other people had luck cleaning the throttle body. Not me. Got to the point it wouldn't even stay running, and even if it did, it was choppy, inconsistent, almost stalling, and high idle. Safety mode instantly came on with every start and would not turn off. Had a friend come over and check the codes and was getting:

P2119 - Electric throttle control actuator not functioning properly due to return spring malfunction or ECM detects throttle valve stuck open

P2176 - ECM detects TBA/motor has failed to learn correct position for butterfly valve.

P2101 - ECM detects TAC went out of range for circuit causing open circuit detected in TAC motor

P2100 - TAC/motor circuit open detected by ECM

P0700 - PCM detects malfunction in TCM

P2544- malfunction with signal input in PCM or related control module.

First thing I did aside from cleaning up the TB was replace the TBS (easy, 6 clips, right in front off TB, $48 at AZ.) She will stay running now, but is just as rough and inconsistent as ever. Not sure if I have any other options I should tackle before having to come up with ~$180 for a new TB.

Any ideas? Could really use some other opinions. I really don't want to have to replace the whole TB, it still looks in good condition, wasn't even that bad when I cleaned it. Possibly it's the pedal sensor? But I am pretty sure that would spit another code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Is there any way to replace the motor on the side under the TBS without replacing the TB?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 10:41 PM

It pretty much reads that your TB has lost its ability to send the correct voltage signals back to the ECM from its 2 internal throttle blade position sensors. They show that the correct TB for your car is GM # 12615503 and or ACDelco # 217-350. Even Amazon sells that TB, an their price is $88. I really don't know if they sell individual parts for it. They say these things *are not* serviceable. But if you think you can break into it (without causing damage), maybe you can see if it can be serviced in any way.

There's always that possibility that the connector (with its wiring) at the TB could be contaminated in some way. You could at least disconnect *it*, to verify the overall condition of both the pins an sockets first (unless you already did that).

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

I have checked the connections a bit and everything looked good to me. I figured I was gonna just have to replace the TB but when I was looking it up I could only find it for $150-180. I'll definitely have to check Amazon then. Ebay was like $160. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
I do have a spare stock TB is you can find one.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:33 AM

I have been told that one shouldn't manually open the butterfly on the TB when cleaning. Screws up the sensors. I know I'm guilty of it.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPaycheck View Post
I have been told that one shouldn't manually open the butterfly on the TB when cleaning. Screws up the sensors. I know I'm guilty of it.
I move mine often for cleaning and such. Doesnt hurt mine at all.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:21 AM

I came across this tech bulliten from GM #14582A: Special Coverage Adjustment - Throttle Body - Reduced Power Mode

Year:2008
color:ignition orange;interior black leather
option:comfort and sound;premium package
new:august 2008 original owner
mods:20%window tint,6k led headlights and led fog lights,X-pipe,k&n air filter,hawk hps front and rear brake pads with r1-concepts premium series brake rotors
slotted and crossed drilled:general g-max as-03 tires;dvd in both headrest from myron & davis;auto dimming mirror.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM

I went through this issue about year ago I had a thread about a simular issue

mods:20%window tint,6k led headlights and led fog lights,X-pipe,k&n air filter,hawk hps front and rear brake pads with r1-concepts premium series brake rotors
slotted and crossed drilled:general g-max as-03 tires;dvd in both headrest from myron & davis;auto dimming mirror.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Sorry forgot to update on this! Found a new stock TB on Amazon for $50, replaced and started right up, no problem with safety mode since!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Changing the sensor wasn't the issue, had to replace full TB, the butterfly motor wasn't working
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:27 AM

Just throwing it out there the special policy is for both the sensor replacement or the complete throttle body replacement;special policy is for 10 years or 120,000 miles If it was me I would try to seek reimburstment,I doesn't hurt to try,If you get reimburst you could spend on a couple of case's of you favorite craft beer LOL

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTUNA03 View Post
Just throwing it out there the special policy is for both the sensor replacement or the complete throttle body replacement;special policy is for 10 years or 120,000 miles If it was me I would try to seek reimburstment,I doesn't hurt to try,If you get reimburst you could spend on a couple of case's of you favorite craft beer LOL
Will do! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page