Best oil?? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Question Best oil??

I am wanting to do an oil change here soon, and want to know the best oil for the G8 is? Also I always normally use the K&N performance Oil filters for my cars.

If anyone knows what the best oil is that would be great to know, now I know the owners manual tells you its like 5W-30 oil and stuff but I want the most protection and care for my engine having 119k on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 08:28 AM

Deja vu... You can find a similar thread I started when I bought my car.

Stick with 5W-30, and top-tier synthetic. Mobil 1 is always a solid choice. Also, don't use the K&N filter. The ACDelco (Wix) is the best, and think most people will agree. Also, an ACDelco filter is only ~$4.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
DOD-delete, , Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Elite E2 Catch Can, HSRK, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos, Cold Case Radiator
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 08:30 AM

Garage
Run 5W-30. Castrol is good, and I've very recently been told that the Mobil 1 isn't THE STANDARD anymore. *shrugs* I did like the Castrol when I was using it, and Mobile 1 seems to have treated me well after I started with that. Definitely a solid choice as said above.

Stay away from Quaker State and Pennzoil. QS has graphite additives and Pennzoil has a lot of detergent (unnecessary).

My tuner was the one that said Castrol is the standard now.... So I'm going to trust him and go back to that.

That said, 5W-30 all the way. The oil weight is required due to bearing clearances and cold start requirements. 0W-30 will run off more readily, while the bearing journals will retain the 5W-30 more readily. They will also produce a thicker and more protective film (it's all about the microscopic level).

You should only use 0W-30 in a motor that calls for it, and that is due to bearing clearances within the motor and oil retention relative to molecule size. Most of us don't live in the NW Territories, and if we do we're not driving our G8's when it's winter.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
Deja vu... You can find a similar thread I started when I bought my car.

Stick with 5W-30, and top-tier synthetic. Mobil 1 is always a solid choice. Also, don't use the K&N filter. The ACDelco (Wix) is the best, and think most people will agree. Also, an ACDelco filter is only ~$4.
I personally thought K&N filters where the best for oil? I never heard of the other brand? But thanks ill take a look into it and thats funny that you asked the same thing a while ago xD LOL
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
Run 5W-30. Castrol is good, and I've very recently been told that the Mobil 1 isn't THE STANDARD anymore. *shrugs* I did like the Castrol when I was using it, and Mobile 1 seems to have treated me well after I started with that. Definitely a solid choice as said above.

Stay away from Quaker State and Pennzoil. QS has graphite additives and Pennzoil has a lot of detergent (unnecessary).

My tuner was the one that said Castrol is the standard now.... So I'm going to trust him and go back to that.

That said, 5W-30 all the way. The oil weight is required due to bearing clearances and cold start requirements. 0W-30 will run off more readily, while the bearing journals will retain the 5W-30 more readily. They will also produce a thicker and more protective film (it's all about the microscopic level).

You should only use 0W-30 in a motor that calls for it, and that is due to bearing clearances within the motor and oil retention relative to molecule size. Most of us don't live in the NW Territories, and if we do we're not driving our G8's when it's winter.
That makes sense, I like in Indiana so its a little different, and snow is bad sometimes during winter. But thanks for all the help guys!!
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 09:17 AM

I have always been a Mobil 1 guy. However, the previous owner of my G8 used Pennzoil Platinum exclusively, and the motor is quiet as a mouse. I have read great reviews around the web regarding Penzoil Platinum and would not hesitate to recommend it. Go to Walmart and get a top quality synthetic 5w30. You really can't go wrong.

2009 G8 GT, White Hot, Cortex, Camaro Trans Pan, VCM Intake, GXP Mufflers
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 09:42 AM

Asking what brand makes the best oil equates to polling the population on whose grandmother made/makes the best pastries. Simply put, you'll get a variety of answers from various perspectives. Right now, I am running Pennzoil High Mileage in four vehicles ranging from approximately 120,000 to 380,000 miles. All four have their original engines, but the 380,000 has a leaking rear main and perchance one other oil leak which is to be expected. In the past, have used Castrol and switched to Pennzoil since it seemed as if it did more to slow both oil consumption and leaks. Having every vehicle running the same weight (if manufactured approved) and brand of oil makes it easier when it comes to doing oil changes. I very little experience with oil brands other than Pennzoil and Castrol and in my very humble opinion, either one will suit you just as well. As far as the industry standard is concerned. Standards change everyday and when it comes to motor oil I stick with what has and still works until it is no longer becomes viable.
Pontiacman122 likes this.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:08 AM

Garage
Okay... Stay away shouldn't have been used with Pennzoil, I'll admit... It's not a bad oil. I just heard it has "too many" detergents, so I stopped using it years ago.

I wish I could talk somebody in the Chem Lab here to test some motor-oil samples. Then we could move past opinions I suppose. That would be non-work related, though...

Although, I still am dead set against Quaker State.

With Castrol and Mobil 1 for most of the engine life, it was quite clean. So I can't speak against either. Just moving to Castrol going forward, myself.

That said, you're right PONYMAN. I doubt any top oil manufacturer would steer you wrong on any of their 5W-30 oil. Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil 1, or Castrol...

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:17 AM

^^^^Agreed, what oil every one uses is as diverse as the places we all come from.
Over the years I've used every brand on cars but kept with that brand as long as I owned the car, whether that did anything is open for debate.
Never used synthetic until I got my G8.
There was a Mobil 1 oil change sticker marked 5W-30 on the windshield so that's the brand I'm going with as long as I have this car.
If there was a Castrol or Pennzoil sticker there would have gone that way.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, personally I have as well heard of Penzoil being the best brand but im not to sure, my engine is really quiet at idol... Until you smash the pedal xD then she sounds so nice! Other than that I might use Penzoil after I look at the other options...
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:02 AM

Garage
I've yet to meet anybody that can differentiate a motor by sound given a certain oil.....

Just keep using what you've been using, and keep it synthetic. At the very least if they're "poser" synthetics, they'll still be higher class oils than conventional oils and blends. Poser just means they're not quite the highest of class of oil chains, but I think I'm starting to settle on that being "nitpicky."

Just stay away from these oils that say "technology" like Quaker State. It's a friction modifier, and I don't think it's needed. I'm not even convinced that it's a good idea.
Pontiacman122 likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 PM

Amsoil for me....and Amsoil filter.
IZRED likes this.

'09 Pontiac G8 GXP, A6, Sunroof, MGM, #1664 of 1829
LS3, with LSA Blower, ACE ported heads, BTR springs and retainers, Straub trunnion upgrade, RCR cam, Kooks LTs/mids, Hooker SS MaxFlow mufflers.
BMR Rear LCA's, stabilizers, end links, front LCA bushings, rear toe links/trailing arms, Pedders Street II kit, including subframe and diff bushings.
Hawk pads, Brake Performance slotted and dimpled rotors, Russell stainless lines, Super Blue fluid.
Best 1/4 time, then- 12.52 @ 114.47, 1.94 60ft.
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:00 PM
every village has one

You could always visit bobistheoilguy if you have a lot of time on your hands

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:57 PM

I would say go with any oil except for Quaker State. Maybe it's my cars or maybe it's me, IMO Castrol don't seem to do well in any of the cars I've put it in. But I do run all of my cars hard. My vote goes to Amsoil and Mobil 1 High Mileage Fully Synthetic. As goes for oil filters, I use Bosch Premium oil filters.
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 12:57 AM

End this thread !!!! : ) Some of you may guys who have been on here and other forums for a while know why I say this. If not. Disregard. Just kidding

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacman122 View Post
I personally thought K&N filters where the best for oil? I never heard of the other brand? But thanks ill take a look into it and thats funny that you asked the same thing a while ago xD LOL
https://www.g8board.com/forums/16-v6-...idge-p-ns.html

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
^^^^Agreed, what oil every one uses is as diverse as the places we all come from.
Over the years I've used every brand on cars but kept with that brand as long as I owned the car, whether that did anything is open for debate.
Never used synthetic until I got my G8.
There was a Mobil 1 oil change sticker marked 5W-30 on the windshield so that's the brand I'm going with as long as I have this car.
If there was a Castrol or Pennzoil sticker there would have gone that way.
Snake oil the debate continues.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 11:49 AM

It isn't for everyone.
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 03:29 PM

It has LS in the name, must be the oil to use.

9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic) Sport /Premium
ICOM 208H
"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."- unknown

All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business. -red green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 07:16 AM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
I use Castrol Titanium synthetic in all my vehicles.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in