Best light bulbs ? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jova007200
  • 1 Post By ebg8gt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Question Best light bulbs ?

So I currently have a daytime running light bulb out, and it is on my drivers side. I want to know the best light bulb for our cars and should I switch to LED? I always liked LED lights because of how bright they are but I am unsure what to go with. Currently I have default lights in my car Xtra vision I think is what they are called. So if anyone has any ideas to share or good recommendations I would appreciate it!

Thanks Guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:57 AM

Garage
Sylvania Bulbs are fine, Incandescent.

LEDs are nice for immediate illumination, but in lights not designed specifically for them they will struggle with distance illumination. There are several articles on the subject speaking to the Pros and Cons of LED headlight bulbs. They're not really plugin and go for all applications.

LEDs are good for fogs and other lights in the G8, but for these headlights you should stick with those that are best for the projectors.

Edit:

I should add that it is important to note the "designed for them" part. The reflective surfaces inside the light are the reason for the disadvantage, rather than the bulb itself. Headlamps designed for LED bulbs will compensate for that.

Though, why spend all sorts of money to use an LED Bulb? These lights are pretty darn good on their own without modification. Plug OEM style in and move on.
Pontiacman122 likes this.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jova007200; 10-25-2017 at 11:07 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Makes sense.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
Sylvania Bulbs are fine, Incandescent.

LEDs are nice for immediate illumination, but in lights not designed specifically for them they will struggle with distance illumination. There are several articles on the subject speaking to the Pros and Cons of LED headlight bulbs. They're not really plugin and go for all applications.

LEDs are good for fogs and other lights in the G8, but for these headlights you should stick with those that are best for the projectors.

Edit:

I should add that it is important to note the "designed for them" part. The reflective surfaces inside the light are the reason for the disadvantage, rather than the bulb itself. Headlamps designed for LED bulbs will compensate for that.

Though, why spend all sorts of money to use an LED Bulb? These lights are pretty darn good on their own without modification. Plug OEM style in and move on.
I went with the OPT 7 LED last year and they died after a year. They are a simply plug-n-play but LED's are not yet reliable. The LED itself is fine, but the need a heat sink or fan to cool - the fans both died on my LED bulbs so I went back to stock bulbs for now.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 03:00 PM

I've always run Sylvania Silverstars in my non-HID equipped cars. I have them in our Subaru which has projector lenses. Looks very much like HIDs.
Jova007200 likes this.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
I've always run Sylvania Silverstars in my non-HID equipped cars. I have them in our Subaru which has projector lenses. Looks very much like HIDs.
Yup, I went the SilverStars - or whatever the whiter bulb is called.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 03:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8affair View Post
I went with the OPT 7 LED last year and they died after a year. They are a simply plug-n-play but LED's are not yet reliable. The LED itself is fine, but the need a heat sink or fan to cool - the fans both died on my LED bulbs so I went back to stock bulbs for now.
Yeah, that's a big reason to avoid LEDs. Active cooling is required, and it all seems like so much needless cost for an item that you insert and forget about for literally years.

In fact, I don't recall replacing my headlight bulbs at all. That tends to mean it was so long ago that I forgot.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 05:47 AM

Awhile ago, had a decent run with a set of Phillips Crystal Vision headlamp bulbs. Am unsure what bulbs are currently in there, but typically shy away from the ones that promise long or extended life since, in my experience, they burn out faster than the regular bulbs. At one point in time always replaced bulbs (manufacturer recommend) in pairs. However, depending on the vehicle and its light setup, will exchange one bulb at a time if the old one was recently replaced or the contrast in color and/or beam pattern isn't too apparent.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 02:39 AM

I use the Ultra Silverstars. THey lose some brightness over a two year period. LEDs dont give the distance of factory or HIDs. HIDs are usually a pain to deal with. I'm looking for brighter than Ultras but one that won't melt my lens from the heat. No matter what options you go with there is not one hundred percent fool proof option.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 04:48 AM
every village has one

Looks like some of you have run the Silverstars.

Been my experience that DRL systems are hard on them. They are warrantied, but
They don't seem to last.
My HID setup from Spencer's has held up well.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 08:25 AM

If staying incandescent, and you want actual bulbs that put out more lumens. Do an H9 swap into the lows. A sharp knife or narrow chisel is all you need to cut the post out between the two terminals on the bulb.
Now a trim on the metal tab.

Make sure you have not left any fingerprints on the bulb glass, and stuff it in. H11 are around 1350 Lumen. H9 is 2100. About a 55% increase. Buy 2 more bulbs but modify all of them (4) . This way when one burns out. You can just swap one from the highbeam and you are not in the dark.
Hell, try before you buy. mod you current bulbs. Try them and see if you like it. If not stick them back.

'09 PBM GT. #2 Kook's Mids, Solo Mach balanced, SCT X4 Tuner. LED H/lamps, Tail lamps and Interior

Last edited by GT Drew; 10-27-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page