Quick question? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Quick question?

So every time I start my G8 the green light shows for daytime lights, are they supposed to stay on when its bright and sunny out? I don't know how to turn them off and I have seen that someone else has no light on his dash but still has the back illuminated dash? I am confused because if there is a way to turn them off that would be great! I don't think they need to run all day when its bright out lol. And this only shows the green light and the back illumination on the dash does not come on. So I only have a green light on and nothing else is lit up lol, any ideas? If there is a way to disable them from running in the day time that would be great! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:05 PM

Garage
Daytime running lights are for other drivers, and not for you. It wasn't the standard in the US at first, but Canada was doing this for a while before the US. There was much humor in WNY about that back in the day...

Anyways, it is intended to make a car stand out when distance or other factors are considered.

If you want to turn it off a simple turn of the light switch counterclockwise will turn the lights off. It'll spring back into position, and another turn will turn them back on.

If somebody misjudges your distance or somehow misses you because you blended in with the traffic jam in the other lane, don't come back and quote me as the cause.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
Daytime running lights are for other drivers, and not for you. It wasn't the standard in the US at first, but Canada was doing this for a while before the US. There was much humor in WNY about that back in the day...

Anyways, it is intended to make a car stand out when distance or other factors are considered.

If you want to turn it off a simple turn of the light switch counterclockwise will turn the lights off. It'll spring back into position, and another turn will turn them back on.

If somebody misjudges your distance or somehow misses you because you blended in with the traffic jam in the other lane, don't come back and quote me as the cause.
I have does this before and it engages again and wont turn off when I am in drive I dont know how to turn them off for good lol any idea?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:15 PM

Garage
Let me go check....
Pontiacman122 likes this.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:17 PM
OGOC Member

they can't be turned off. Only while in park.
As soon as you put back into gear, they will be on as expected.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip77 View Post
Ah that explains it a little lol, Well there goes that I guess.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:20 PM

Garage
Well, I double checked, and I don't know. You can turn them off that way at night and they won't come back on.

It's one turn to the O from Auto and it should go right off. One turn to O again will turn it back on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:20 PM

You could do like my car and pull the DRL fuse. lol

I have HIDs, so the previous owner pulled the fuse to keep the HIDs from being on during the day. Not sure which fuse it is as I didn't do it.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
You could do like my car and pull the DRL fuse. lol

I have HIDs, so the previous owner pulled the fuse to keep the HIDs from being on during the day. Not sure which fuse it is as I didn't do it.
LOL that sounds like a good idea, thanks lol might do that in the future.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacman122 View Post
LOL that sounds like a good idea, thanks lol might do that in the future.
Looks like it's fuse F21. But that's from the internet and the internet can lie.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:25 PM

Garage
Still would want to know why the switch isn't working.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip77 View Post
Hmmm... This I've never noted. I only tested in Park.

I've never had a car where I couldn't turn the DRLs off.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:38 PM

Garage
So, I just tested that assertion. It is incorrect. At least it is for the 2009 model year. Are we talking about an updated 2009.5 model perhaps?

While driving I turned it off and on multiple times, and I verified that it was actually off. The car in front method works wonders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 04:36 PM

Pulled either the daytime running lamps relay and/or fuse years ago in order to prolong the life of the headlamps and prevent the housing from melting and/or become fatigued due to the buildup of excess heat. The headlamps last longer even though they are supposedly burning at a lower wattage when the daytime running lamps are on.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 05:29 PM

"Jova007200" has it right. I'll add this to it >>>>> My car is a 09 midyear version. Daytime stuff #1 --- If you start the car in your garage an (due to the available light within), the car by design will immediately go into the *all exterior lights on mode at ignition key turn on. You can (as I always do) either have the spring loaded lights knob already rotated an held (while starting the car) or rotate an release after engine start, which will cancel *all* the exterior lights. If you do nothing for the rest of the ignition cycle (in the daylight), *all* lights will remain off. #2---- If you do *nothing* at engine start (in the garage) all exterior lights will remain illuminated until the car is out in the daylight. At that time, the the car will default *back* to the DRL mode, turning on the green headlight symbol in your cluster (to advise you that the headlights *only* are now illuminated at the dimmer DRL level), an remain illuminated until completion of the ignition cycle. #3---- IF the car is started in daylight time, the car will go (by design), into the DRL mode an remain active unless you choose shut them down, and as stated, you can cycle back an forth into, an out of, the DRL mode all you want. If the car you own *was* initially destined for Canada, the DRL override function was eliminated. They want those DRL lights illuminated *all* the time during the daylight hours up there. #4>>>> I have not proven this out, but I believe if I have moved the DRL lights to off (an dusk/dark is upon me), the auto exterior lights function *will not**turn on as it normally would. You'll be driving around in the dark (not unlike) a lot of Toyota's due out there at night that seem to be missing those (nice to have) available light sensing devices on top of their IP . #5----- After ignition shutoff, the car defaults back to normal. meaning if in daylight, the DRL will come on at ignition turn on. Or all lights will turn on at night time. >>>>>>> Nite time ------- All exterior lights illuminate at ignition on. You can of course move the knob CCW an go into the stealth mode, or move to the right for parking lights only etc. Cycling CCW again, will restore all the exterior an interior lights (back into there auto mode). I hate to pull into a driveway to make a U turn (with the headlights on). So I select running light so as to not bother anybody more than I already am. After completion, it's back to the auto mode
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:21 PM

Great write up as usual. Exactly how my early 09 gt functions.

2009 White Hot G8 GT, Premium, Sport, Roto-Fab, Cortex, Magnaflows, X-pipe, door dings, curb rash, backup cam
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
So, I just tested that assertion. It is incorrect. At least it is for the 2009 model year. Are we talking about an updated 2009.5 model perhaps?

While driving I turned it off and on multiple times, and I verified that it was actually off. The car in front method works wonders.
Yes we are, i have the updated one. It is nice and was expensive but I guess you cant turn the lights off which is fine. I was just curious.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yes we are, i have the updated one. It is nice and was expensive but I guess you cant turn the lights off which is fine. I was just curious.
Then it appears your car is as Gopherit said. Your car is provisioned for use in Canada.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Then it appears your car is as Gopherit said. Your car is provisioned for use in Canada.
Well then to be honest i am not sure if i do have the updated one? LOL mine is a 2009 and came from Michigan, not Canada... so i dont know then lol..
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Well then to be honest i am not sure if i do have the updated one? LOL mine is a 2009 and came from Michigan, not Canada... so i dont know then lol..
Right across the border.
If the dealer in MI didn't have one and a dealer in Windsor had one....
Jova007200 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page