Transmission Mount?! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Transmission Mount?!

had major service to suspension couple months ago, that dealt with all the all noises and clunks ... except for one, deep clunk sound at road bumps mostly when driving slow coming from front/middle of the car. Had car inspected at few places and none could diagnose the fault. It wasn't very frequent and not so annoying so I managed to live with it.

Last week as it started to get more cold in the morning, another sound came up, just at start up in colder days, a sound as if a loose part is fitted around driveshaft and rotating undercar hitting the body.
occures only once and lasts for like a minute or few, goes for good after car warms up.

This made me re-think of the older left clunk... that too seemed to lessen when car is warmer.

Thinking of it:
- eleminated possibilities of starter motor related, it starts up without any sign of struggle
- eleminated possible causes in engine/tranny as there was not any sign in performance
- had peddal floored few times while looking at engine, and it looked good in place without movement, so engine mounts should be good too.

>> left my doubts at tranny mount.

had car inspected at dealer for that sound, and although car was left to next morning to fire cold, they couldnt duplicate the case (was a real warmer morning), and said there is no issue in engine/transmission/suspension!

I asked change of transmission mount (at my request), and they argued for no need, but I i sisted (my $$). I left the car and came at end of day picked the car. To my surprise I wasn't charged for labor, and discounted almost %40 off mount price. Only realised why the genearouse treat when I got home and looked at the old mount they packed in my trunk, the rubber had totally broken of metal surface!! ...
and both sounds mentioned above are gone for good (a clunk, and the grinding below car at cold starts)

hope this helps

2007 VE Lumina (V6)

Transformation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 03:15 PM

Did they use the new revised Mount.

'09 PBM GT. #2 Kook's Mids, Solo Mach balanced, SCT X4 Tuner. LED H/lamps, Tail lamps and Interior
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

mount they have put is identical to older one (that differese from your photo up here)

2007 VE Lumina (V6)

Transformation

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Drew View Post
Did they use the new revised Mount.
What is the difference between the old mount and the revised mount?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
What is the difference between the old mount and the revised mount?
The revised mount eliminates a resonance that most if not all of us have while driving around 70mph with the original mount. I only learned about this last year and bought the mount and longer bolts you need to install it.

GM 92237122 - Revised Transmission Mount
GM 92138719 - Transmission Mount Bolt, Long (x2)

When I read the OP the symptoms matched what I recently experienced with my G8. It ended up being a heat shield hitting one of the headers when the car was cold. As soon as the car warmed up, the vibration went away. It took a day to figure it out.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package
BMR suspension | GForce Engineering 750hp axles | GM Camaro 3.27 rear diff., Camaro trans pan + G8 GXP trans cooler | Livernois L92 Stage 1 Cam | Manton LS trunnion kit | Pedders bushings | PRC LS3 260cc heads | RCR intake + throttle body | Rotofab 102mm CAI | Stainless Works 1 7/8" headers | SuperPro front control arms + motor mounts | Texas Speed LS3 short block | Tuned by Patrick G. | Wrenched by ESP

Last edited by executor999; 10-29-2017 at 06:03 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 06:12 AM

I also updated to the newer part number mount and bolts. Completely eliminated the hum noise I heard on the highway. It was cheap, maybe 20-30 bucks I think. Easy to change the mount, worth the corrected outcome.

2009 G8 GT, White Hot, Cortex, Camaro Trans Pan, VCM Intake, GXP Mufflers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by executor999 View Post
the revised mount eliminates a resonance that most if not all of us have while driving around 70mph with the original mount. I only learned about this last year and bought the mount and longer bolts you need to install it.

Gm 92237122 - revised transmission mount
gm 92138719 - transmission mount bolt, long (x2)...
Thanks for the information

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page