RatzRatzRatz - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

RatzRatzRatz

My V6 has had cooling problems for the past year. Every time I pulled it into the garage it smelt of burning coolant. Have replaced heater core lines, t-stat housing and water pump. Still smelt of burning coolant so down to the dealership this morning only to find out today the drivers side head gasket is leaking and and the other side isn't far behind.
Not news I wanted.
Car has 190KM on it and still runs and looks like a champ.
Am waiting for the dealership to send me an estimate for parts and labor at which time I will decide whether to fix this problem or trade it in and move on to another platform.
C'est la vie....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:26 PM

Hope it's gonna be worth fixing bud. Hate to see yuh have too part with her.

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanx Jim. Don't really want to part with her either and the prospect of car payments again really doesn't appeal to me.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:36 PM

I hear that. Fingers crossed!

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune

SHOW:
TINT
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:11 PM

Chevy SS just went on sale again. 20% off. Now's your chance!!

(I know you're in Canuckistan, so don't know if the sale is up there or not)

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

No, GM never brought them up here.
Couple of people have imported them but with exchange they're a steep price.
Never say never though....
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
No, GM never brought them up here.
Couple of people have imported them but with exchange they're a steep price.
Never say never though....
Ahhh right. Forgot they didn't make it there.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 01:26 AM

Sorry to hear about the mechanical problems, been there done that with my Grand Prix. So I based my decision on 1: I know the car is good because of the work that's already been done. 2: How good will the next car be, will it last 6 months or 6 years? So, unless it needs a lot of other work done besides the gaskets, which would be more cost effective?
Good luck with what ever you do.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Well....
The estimate came in at $2930.88 plus/minus taxes in.
Mechanic will only charge me for actual labor hours not the manual.
There's a $250.00 charge for shop incidentals which could go up or down depending on what he needs/uses.
Price includes changing timing chains, motors open so why not, no labor charged, just parts.
There's also an added estimate on sending heads to a machine shop to check them prior to re-install, if they look excellent when pulled this can be skipped.
Labors discounted by half and some parts will be discounted too as my son works at the GM dealer.
Lotta dough no matter who you are....decisions....
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Well....
The estimate came in at $2930.88 plus/minus taxes in.
Mechanic will only charge me for actual labor hours not the manual.
There's a $250.00 charge for shop incidentals which could go up or down depending on what he needs/uses.
Price includes changing timing chains, motors open so why not, no labor charged, just parts.
There's also an added estimate on sending heads to a machine shop to check them prior to re-install, if they look excellent when pulled this can be skipped.
Labors discounted by half and some parts will be discounted too as my son works at the GM dealer.
Lotta dough no matter who you are....decisions....
Wow that is a few bucks that price is discounted in half? The mechanic i use charges 80.00 an hour but when it comes down to a long labor charge it come to 60 something an hour.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 04:59 AM

A nearly $3,000 repair bill estimate factoring in both parts and labor discounts is still a little much. At that point, it could be more cost effective just to replace the engine and keep the old one for spare parts unless there is a core charge. However, the pros and cons of all viable options should be weighed equally. Has the car ever overheated? Although head gaskets can and do go bad without it ever occurring. Best of luck on whatever decision you reach.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Over the whole time of replacing heat core hoses, t-stat housing and water pump the car has never overheated the only constant has been the car smells of burning coolant when I park it in or outdoors.
Doesn't smell all the time but the majority of times.
Right now I'm thinking of just driving it and keeping an eye on the coolant level and topping it up when necessary as it seem it is leaking out of the block and not into the cylinders.
I can drive my wife's car most days as she only works 1 or 2 days a week.
Get thru the winter as is and and make some decisions in the spring.
In all likely hood will trade the G8 for a newer platform.
Thinking like some here have done, could return in the future with another G8 as a weekend warrior.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

May have caught a break here.
Went in this morning to redo the t-stat housing on the off chance it was not done properly.
Mechanic took off the intake and found coolant pooled in the valley which he concluded meant the o-rings in the upper rad hose/filler neck were leaking therefore coolant was running down the valley to the back of the engine and caused staining on the head gasket and hitting the hot exhaust caused my burning coolant stench.
So swapped out those o-rings to the tune of $25.70.
Fingers crossed this is the actual problem.
Run it and see what happens.
mcalien3 likes this.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:29 AM

Hope this solves the problem, good luck!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:54 AM

Seems promising. Is the mechanic that discovered the leak the same that originally did the work?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 04:16 PM

Fingers crossed it works!

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune

SHOW:
TINT
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
Seems promising. Is the mechanic that discovered the leak the same that originally did the work?
No, another guy did the t-stat the first time.
Mechanic today is apparently the dealership "trouble shooter".
What lead him to take off the intake this morning, I have no idea but I'm glad he did.
If the o-rings were the problem all along he just saved me 3 grand plus.
He thoroughly cleaned the engine with de-greaser and cleaner so I start with a clean slate.
Just parked the car in garage, doesn't seem to smell of burnt coolant but you can smell the cleaners being burnt off.
Time will tell.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 03:37 AM

Quote:
....Have replaced heater core lines, t-stat housing and water pump... Still smelt of burning coolant so down to the dealership
First technician
Quote:
...this morning only to find out today the drivers side head gasket is leaking and and the other side isn't far behind.....
Second technician?
Quote:
...Mechanic today is apparently the dealership "trouble shooter". What lead him to take off the intake this morning, I have no idea but I'm glad he did. If the o-rings were the problem all along he just saved me 3 grand plus...
In this case, presume the third time (person) is the charm. What lead them to replace the thermostat housing and water pump in the first place? Is it possible the o-rings were leaking all this time? Or, were the o-rings simply not replaced at the same time with the thermostat housing?

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

In every case the parts replaced were leaking.
I was still getting the burning smell and one of my sons, who was a wrench at the dealership found coolant was leaking down the bell housing which took me back to the dealership.
#2 and #3 visits are the same wrench, the trouble shooter.
Because of the location of the t-stat in the V6 its extremely hard to see up in where its buried but he thought the coolant staining was above the t-stat and on the head gaskets.
In his opinion the gasket was leaking out of the block not into the cylinder because the oil is clean as a whistle.
When the car was shut of there was a vacuum that pulled air into the cooling system which was pressurized it on start up and causing the other parts to fail. To be safe he said to change the t-stat again because it was under warranty.
I was told the t-stat can be changed from under the car or apparently I am guessing from the top which is why he took the intake off and found this pooling of coolant in the valley that he surmised was caused by an o-ring leak at the upper rad hose inlet.
The coolant running down the valley "could" account for the staining on the head gasket which again is a guess on his part but worth a shot.
My son asked why they hadn't put any dye in the engine to track the leak but I'm guessing until the intake was pulled the dye would have have pooled at the head gasket anyway and until the intake was removed the source would have been buried.
That's my long winded history, probably stuff I've missed....anyway, drive it, watch coolant level, hope he's right....
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 09:34 AM

Regardless of the outcome, start saving up for the inevitable LS swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page