MAP Sensor Location V6 (LY7) - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Necrotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 44
Garage
MAP Sensor Location V6 (LY7)

Can anyone point me to the location of the MAP Sensor on the LY7? Perhaps a picture?
Necrotic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Member
 
hooker9110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Albany IL
Posts: 46
I could be wrong but I don't think the V6 has one.

09 MGM GXP A6 #1002
BTR Stage 2 LS3 Cam, Vigilante 2800 stall, Kooks LT, Corsa Catback, VCM OTR, GXP wheels widened 1.5" with 285 rears. 444rwhp, 398ftlbs, [email protected]
hooker9110 is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Necrotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 44
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker9110 View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think the V6 has one.
O.o Oh jeez I hope this isn't the case, I'm trying to track down P2099 and P2097 codes.
Necrotic is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Member
 
hooker9110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Albany IL
Posts: 46
So it is running rich, I would look into the EVAP purge solenoid by performing a purge and seal test with a scan tool. Or you could have a fuel injector leaking. The MAF or ECT sensors could be reading incorrectly also.

09 MGM GXP A6 #1002
BTR Stage 2 LS3 Cam, Vigilante 2800 stall, Kooks LT, Corsa Catback, VCM OTR, GXP wheels widened 1.5" with 285 rears. 444rwhp, 398ftlbs, [email protected]
hooker9110 is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Necrotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 44
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker9110 View Post
So it is running rich, I would look into the EVAP purge solenoid by performing a purge and seal test with a scan tool. Or you could have a fuel injector leaking. The MAF or ECT sensors could be reading incorrectly also.
So far I've done the following (all of which I wanted to do anyway, just because I bought it used and wasn't sure when the last time any of this was done was);

Changed plugs
Changed MAF Sensor
Changed both Downstream O2s
Had exhaust regasketed, checked for leaks (I know this has nothing to do with the codes, just listing it anyway)

I just bought new injectors for it and am doing those this Sunday. I suspect that is the problem but regardless I wanted to change them out even if it's not. I did pick up a MAP sensor which was listed on ROCKAUTO under V6 G8. All OEM standard stuff, nothing aftermarket, which is what led me to believe it had one.

I DO have a Scan Tool (CEN-TECH 62119 Deluxe OBD II & CAN Scan Tool), not sure if it's capable of the function you mentioned. I will look into that.

The ECT sensor I have not touched and I haven't had any temp issues from what I could tell. She seems to get up to temp no problem and there's no fluctuations in the readout on the dash. But it's a cheap part so I could add that to my work this Sunday.
Necrotic is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Member
 
hooker9110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Albany IL
Posts: 46
Just make sure the ECT readings seem accurate, If It reads cooler than it should be it will over fuel the engine. Best just to check what it is reading before you start it up in the morning, the reading should be close to the same as ambient temp. If the EVAP purge valve is open when it shouldnt be it will pull excess fuel vapor and set a rich code. I have found this to be pretty common on the 3.6L V6s.

09 MGM GXP A6 #1002
BTR Stage 2 LS3 Cam, Vigilante 2800 stall, Kooks LT, Corsa Catback, VCM OTR, GXP wheels widened 1.5" with 285 rears. 444rwhp, 398ftlbs, [email protected]
hooker9110 is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:49 PM
Member
 
hooker9110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Albany IL
Posts: 46
Monitoring the Fuel Tank pressure sensor for excess vacuum or performing a purge and seal test will let you know if the purge valve is open when it shouldnt be.

09 MGM GXP A6 #1002
BTR Stage 2 LS3 Cam, Vigilante 2800 stall, Kooks LT, Corsa Catback, VCM OTR, GXP wheels widened 1.5" with 285 rears. 444rwhp, 398ftlbs, [email protected]
hooker9110 is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Necrotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 44
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker9110 View Post
Monitoring the Fuel Tank pressure sensor for excess vacuum or performing a purge and seal test will let you know if the purge valve is open when it shouldnt be.
Okay, I took some live data. Maybe there's something of note in this, I'm not a mechanic so I don't know what the values for some of this should be.

Live Data - Google Doc

Can you tell me how to monitor the FTP Sensor?
Necrotic is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 02:16 AM
Senior Member
 
PONY MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: EARTH :-/
Posts: 4,358
Would venture to say the problem you're experiencing is indicative of something further up in the system that provides information to both downstream sensors. Have never seen both catalytic converters nor downstream oxygen sensors go out on a vehicle although stranger things do happen. Moreover, since they are designed to worked independently of one another, the likelihood is even less probable. Likely culprits are a vacuum leak, defective map (manifold absolute pressure) or maf (mass airflow) sensor. Have you tried cleaning the mass airflow sensor? As far as the map sensor, couldn't locate it last night, but will give it another gander in the morning.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN














PONY MAN is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Necrotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 44
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
Would venture to say the problem you're experiencing is indicative of something further up in the system that provides information to both downstream sensors. Have never seen both catalytic converters nor downstream oxygen sensors go out on a vehicle although stranger things do happen. Moreover, since they are designed to worked independently of one another, the likelihood is even less probable. Likely culprits are a vacuum leak, defective map (manifold absolute pressure) or maf (mass airflow) sensor. Have you tried cleaning the mass airflow sensor? As far as the map sensor, couldn't locate it last night, but will give it another gander in the morning.
I changed the MAF sensor completely. Honestly I thought the same things and was asking about the map location.
Necrotic is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 03:59 AM
Senior Member
 
PONY MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: EARTH :-/
Posts: 4,358
What brand of mass airflow sensor did you use? Did you notice any differences after changing the sensor? The map sensor might be located somewhere around the intake manifold, but can't confirm or deny the notion.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN














PONY MAN is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Necrotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 44
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
What brand of mass airflow sensor did you use? Did you notice any differences after changing the sensor? The map sensor might be located somewhere around the intake manifold, but can't confirm or deny the notion.
Bosch. Honestly I didn't notice any difference.
Necrotic is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Necrotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 44
Garage
Also I was able to purchase a MAP sensor listed under G8 v6. I have one sitting g here ready to use.
Necrotic is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:08 AM
Senior Member
 
PONY MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: EARTH :-/
Posts: 4,358
Is the map sensor a Bosch as well? If replacing that doesn't do the trick then might want to thoroughly check for vacuum leaks. Do you hear hissing sounds while the car is running?

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN














PONY MAN is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Necrotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 44
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
Is the map sensor a Bosch as well? If replacing that doesn't do the trick then might want to thoroughly check for vacuum leaks. Do you hear hissing sounds while the car is running?
The map is yes. Noni do not hear any hissing sounds and the engine does not act like there's a vacuum leak. For example I do not see RPM fluctuations or anything of that sort. I personally ally was suspecting the injectors and am changing those this Sunday. But the Map sensor is another suspicion. I'm honestly hoping it's the MAP or injectors.
Necrotic is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:31 AM
Senior Member
 
PONY MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: EARTH :-/
Posts: 4,358
Very well. Oftentimes, the sound a broken or cracked vacuum line makes is barely audible and depending on its location may not significantly impact the performance of an engine. Don't recommend continuing to throw parts on the car if there is a competent repair facility nearby with both the knowledge and equipment necessary to properly diagnose the vehicle. However, if there are not any viable local options or thus far they have proven themselves incompetent, then at least you're narrowing down the range of possibilities . At any rate, best of fortune resolving your issues and be sure to update the thread regarding any progress. Will report back if able to locate the manifold absolute pressure sensor.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN














PONY MAN is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Necrotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 44
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
Very well. Oftentimes, the sound a broken or cracked vacuum line makes is barely audible and depending on its location may not significantly impact the performance of an engine. Don't recommend continuing to throw parts on the car if there is a competent repair facility nearby with both the knowledge and equipment necessary to properly diagnose the vehicle. However, if there are not any viable local options or thus far they have proven themselves incompetent, then at least you're narrowing down the range of possibilities . At any rate, best of fortune resolving your issues and be sure to update the thread regarding any progress. Will report back if able to locate the manifold absolute pressure sensor.
Oh. Well I'm am amateur and I was under the impression that vacuum leaks would should rpms fluctuations. I am absolutely open to the possibility it's a leak. As far as throwing parts at it so far the parts have been cheap fixes so I don't mind. Honestly I bought the car used a couple years back and I wanted to change the injectors anyway. I've done the plugs and a few minor things so far. There isn't a shop local I honestly trust.
Necrotic is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 05:10 AM
Senior Member
 
PONY MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: EARTH :-/
Posts: 4,358
Am not anywhere near a professional and even they can and have been wrong. Recently, just proved two wrong, but in the past they have proven me wrong. Automobile repair work is not an exact science as one must take into account a variety of variables. Have yet to meet a man or woman who/m is always right and suppose I never will.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN














PONY MAN is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Necrotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 44
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
Am not anywhere near a professional and even they can and have been wrong. Recently, just proved two wrong, but in the past they have proven me wrong. Automobile repair work is not an exact science as one must take into account a variety of variables. Have yet to meet a man or woman who/m is always right and suppose I never will.
My main issues with mechanics near me has been the fact that they're just looking to sell as much as possible. I've caught mechanics in lies through my own research. I've seen them ignore diagnostic processes only to tell me there was a major issue with my vehicle, upon taking it to another place and telling them what happened finding that the fix was a simple $40 fix. This actually happened with my exhaust.

Anyway, I know no one's perfect but I am finding that self-learning is far more lucrative than trusting mechanics or dealerships. I trust you guys more and I've never seen your faces. lol
Necrotic is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fountain Valley California
Posts: 4,096
Reading the service manual, shows that your engine *does not* use a MAP sensor. Your engine uses a tricked out MAF sensor. It contains 2 IAT sensors within it. The ECM measures the temp of the air as it passes the first sensor (that has a thin film heater circuit as part if it). The second IAT sensor captures the now heated air temp, an sends that signal back to the ECM. The ECM needs, and expects to see this action, to properly measure that temp an total air flow thru it. That action helps the ECM accurately calculate what the correct injector pulse pattern should be, for precise fuel control under all conditions. *There is*, a trick solenoid (Intake Manifold Runner Control Solenoid) installed at the back end of the upper manifold section. It (on command from the ECM), will be cycled to change the manifold from a big volume manifold, into 2 separate smaller volume manifolds. They say this action allows the engine to perform at its best thru its entire power range (so to speak). Now maybe some other version of this engine uses a MAP, but not yours. My thinking, is that maybe you got your hands on a MAP sensor for the V8.
GOPHERIT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome