Alternator Light came on then went off? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By whatnext
  • 1 Post By PONY MAN
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Pontiacman122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 71
Exclamation Alternator Light came on then went off?

This morning I got in my car after letting it run for a while to warm up, I noticed a battery light on and the DIC beeping and showing the Alternator light? I was like um? Then I gave her a little bit of gas and boom gone? I don't know if it was caused by being to cold or what? but man I am ready for summer again over here lol! Any ideas on why this happened? Thanks.
Pontiacman122 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Jova007200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,515
Garage
Your alternator is getting lazy. It triggers by RPMs, and now at idle the magnetic field that it generates is appearing to be growing weaker with the age of the part. You should look at having it tested. It may just be borderline.

What is your battery charge level? Does it fluctuate?

The charging circuit appears to have an issue, but you won't know how bad until you test it.

It might help to check your battery connections as well as the alternator power connections to be sure nothing is loose.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ


"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jova007200 is online now  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Latham, NY
Posts: 1,617
Best guess - the alternator output was too low because touching the throttle nudged up the rpms and the lights went off. Why? Maybe the alternator doesn't like winters too (lol).
Pontiacman122 likes this.
whatnext is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Pontiacman122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
Your alternator is getting lazy. It triggers by RPMs, and now at idle the magnetic field that it generates is appearing to be growing weaker with the age of the part. You should look at having it tested. It may just be borderline.

What is your battery charge level? Does it fluctuate?

The charging circuit appears to have an issue, but you won't know how bad until you test it.

It might help to check your battery connections as well as the alternator power connections to be sure nothing is loose.
the battery normally stays charged at 65%- 83%. And the alternator looks pretty new, charging cables connected to the battery are brand new along with the battery so I don't know if it was triggered by the cold or what? I currently don't know the voltage but I can get that later on my lunch break, it went away so I don't know? Also before the tire fault light came on as well but went away ? And never came back. Idk thanks for the help ill let ya know the % and levels.
Pontiacman122 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Pontiacman122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 71
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacman122 View Post
the battery normally stays charged at 65%- 83%. And the alternator looks pretty new, charging cables connected to the battery are brand new along with the battery so I don't know if it was triggered by the cold or what? I currently don't know the voltage but I can get that later on my lunch break, it went away so I don't know? Also before the tire fault light came on as well but went away ? And never came back. Idk thanks for the help ill let ya know the % and levels.
Also the rpms are low idles at 494-545 in park when warm, when its a cold start it stays at 1000rpm then goes down after it warms up, I normally never drive it until its warmed up and goes down so I don't damage anything.
Pontiacman122 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
PONY MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: EARTH :-/
Posts: 4,333
Another possibility is a stretched serpentine belt. Do a visual inspection of the belt checking for looseness by pulling upwards on it with the engine off, key off out the ignition. Or, with the engine running, stand back and watch for slack or play as it passes over the various pulleys.
Jova007200 likes this.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN














PONY MAN is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Pontiacman122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Best guess - the alternator output was too low because touching the throttle nudged up the rpms and the lights went off. Why? Maybe the alternator doesn't like winters too (lol).
Could be that as well Thanks!
Pontiacman122 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Jova007200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,515
Garage
I wish I could remember what mine idled at before the tune, but it was mostly over 600RPMs. For yours to idle at even less than 500 that seems a bit low and may be indicative of another problem. That seems like a sluggish idle to me.

Your alternator circuit may not like those low RPMs. Check it's operating RPM range to see if that is low.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ


"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jova007200 is online now  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Pontiacman122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 71
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
I wish I could remember what mine idled at before the tune, but it was mostly over 600RPMs. For yours to idle at even less than 500 that seems a bit low and may be indicative of another problem. That seems like a sluggish idle to me.

Your alternator circuit may not like those low RPMs. Check it's operating RPM range to see if that is low.
just checked again and it idles at 568 the lowest, but coming to a stop in drive around 600rpm so its normal, battery was at 67.4% charge and circuit was 14.4v i think lol
Pontiacman122 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Jova007200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,515
Garage
Well, keep monitoring it. A simple irregular start shouldn't cut on the warning light. That said the problem is probably relatively minor in nature given that your idle RPMs seem fine.

Seems your belt as suggested before may be the culprit, and it may just be the cold hardening the rubber causing it to slip at first.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ


"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jova007200 is online now  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Pontiacman122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
Well, keep monitoring it. A simple irregular start shouldn't cut on the warning light. That said the problem is probably relatively minor in nature given that your idle RPMs seem fine.

Seems your belt as suggested before may be the culprit, and it may just be the cold hardening the rubber causing it to slip at first.
Very well could be, didn't think of that. It seems fixed we looked at it yesterday when I had it on the lift we did a full undercoat with black rubber after scrapping off some rust, and replaced the O2 sensor, Ever sense we replaced it and I reset the computer the car feels much more responsive no more delays in pushing the pedal and no more waiting to accelerate in passing gear lol xD. Thanks for the help!
Pontiacman122 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome