2009 Pontiac G8 w/ 3.6GM Timing Chain p0008 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

2009 Pontiac G8 w/ 3.6GM Timing Chain p0008

Hi everyone,

I picked up a 2009 Pontiac G8 with the 3.6 V6 a few weeks ago and it recently set a CEL for an intake valve timing issue (p0008). The car has 164K on the clock. The code set when it started cold (about 35F that day), and by the end of the day by driving around, the code went away. Then a few days later, another cold morning the code set again and was gone by the end of the day.

Oil was changed with 5W30 synthetic at the dealer when I bought it. I checked the oil each time the code set, both times it was right on the line of being full and still a good color.

Cold starts, I really don't hear much of a rattle like an obviously loose chain would make. Car does act up when the code sets, struggles to accelerate primarily, but when it's gone the car is totally okay? Haven't seen bad mileage from the car, as one of the symptoms of a bad chain.

Reading online and doing the bit of research I have, a lot of posters come back with saying the timing chain being replaced fixed the issue. So I ordered a kit, and started to disassemble the engine.
What I found when taking it apart, the engine has been taken good care of.

No sludge whatsoever in either head so that's a good sign. The timing chain is factory, and has a bit of play (not sure if this is normal; a coworker who was once a real mechanic said that was pretty normal for this motor)

I did find that the sensors in the head by the cams were pretty grimy however.
Could the dirty cam sensors be the reason why I get an intermittent p0008?

Does the timing chain look to have 'acceptable' play?

I appreciate any answers or insight anyone has to offer on this issue. I want to be fairly certain that replacing the chains is the way to fix it, before I take it all apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 07:01 PM

The service manual says that any single camshaft actuator/solenoid will not cause a P0008 or P0009. But I think the manual reads that if *both* actuator/solenoid units developed the same general problem on either bank (without setting their own codes), that either of those codes could be set. The most simple way to see if that is happening, is to reverse those units from bank to bank to see if the fault remains as a P0008 or has flipped to a P0009 codes. However, from those that have had that code, it always ended up being an R&R of that chain kit for the fix. Those V6 owners that *have* completed that R&R chain kit job, might post up to verify there opinion/time involved, an any fiscal damage they incurred, in doing that job. Guys such as "Les"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 06:46 AM

Was in the process of starting a thread pertaining to the P0008 code, but somehow the upper 2/3 of the post were deleted and have to begin anew... However, it should be up between late this evening and early tomorrow morning. There is quite a bit of misconception regarding the code and hopefully the thread will help to clear things up a bit.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 03:03 PM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
The guides wear out and the chain gets loose. Best thing to do is replace all of it and your good to go. Its a common problem. Mine went at 130,000 kms. Most V6s get this problem around these kms. Let me know how you make out or need help.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

For anyone that comes across this thread in the future with similar issues to me...I did the chain job on it. Definitely a noticeable difference in torque and idle. The slack on the chain showed more on the guides than up top around the cams.

Good luck to anyone that does this job, it's a helluva time!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:50 AM
every village has one

No doubt doing the chain was the right thing to do.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Les
OGOC Member

Garage
Yes if you dont know what your doing dont even try. Luckily I can do my own and it is a pain in the butt. But change everything while your in there.

OGOC Member
2009.1 G8 SV6 Tuned.
Overkill Tune 3rd Gen.
GT Intake system
76mm Throttle body.
X-Pipe,Custom Axlebacks.
3/4" Intake Spacers.
GXP Front Clip,GXP Diffuser.
K&N CAI
Custom Rad Cover.
10" Pioneer Sub and Box.
And More....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:27 PM

Timing chain

Those exact symptoms are what started me down the road to replacing my timing chain. I also experienced the loss of low-end power/torque. At the very least the chain guide tensioners had gone bad on my engine. I'd say you should probably just bite the bullet. I have always done some mechanical work, but never before done what's involved with this repair. It's a royal pita. Unlike your picture, the right side of my engine was extremely dirty. I pulled both heads and had a machine shop clean, re-surface, and put in new seals. there is a post on this board already for this repair that is very helpful. the toughest part for me was getting the crankshaft pulley off. The best way I found is to rent the chrysler harmonic balancer puller from your local auto parts store and find something to use as a spacer and to keep everything together. I used socket extensions as spacers and zip tied everything together. I'm still not finished. I just got the heads back on.

I spent about $1,000 on parts and tools just for the chain. another $400 for the machine shop to take care of the head. I also purchased some performance parts to push more air through to try and keep the right side from gunking up as much. There's just under 90k miles on it. I spent more $ for a CAI, throttle control, spark plug boots, and manifold spacer from Mace Engineering in Australia. their ebay store is MACE Engineering Group | eBay Stores, but it's cheaper to purchase through their website. https://www.maceengineering.com.au/. I wish I would have found them before I purchased my timing chain kit from cloyes. Not that cloyes is bad, but mace specializes in holden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g8-v6-harm-balance-puller.jpg (128.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg g8-v6-1-side-dirty.jpg (138.9 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by phizzman; 12-19-2017 at 02:37 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:00 PM

SO what would be the recommended next step after replacing the timing chains and guides and STILL the p0008 returns ?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Bauer View Post
SO what would be the recommended next step after replacing the timing chains and guides and STILL the p0008 returns ?
Does the car have any noticeable indications of a malfunction other than the code and the check engine light illumination?

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page