Modding G8's with SS parts...BEGIN! - Page 6 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
The Chevrolet SS The place for discussion of the "Chevrolet SS" with the people you know from g8board.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:46 AM
doing stuff and things

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Ok.... I guess I'll take the starter button and the paddle shifters. Maybe even the rear view camera since we already have the screen for it.
+1 for sure

because racecar....

2009 Liquid Red G8 GT:
Kooks LTH w/catted mid pipe, Magnaflow axleback. H&R springs. Spectre CAI. V6 tails, roof rack, GXP diffuser, OPT-7 LED headlights & Fogs, Injected Engineering DOD delete and tune, bullet racing grind cam 227/236 .625 .605 112, Carbon interior goodies
414rwhp 384tq
Wheels: Concept One CSM5 20x8.5/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Beach Bum

After testing one out at the local dealership I can say for certian that steering wheel and paddle shifter setup is a definite must. The Heads up display would be nice but that's probably not realistic. The seats however? blah you can keep em. they look flashy but don't sit or feel any better than the G8 seats.

post #103 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Garage
global a ! = commodore ve.

I do recall a Grand Prix hack mod where you,could retrofit a hud to an otherwise non-hud-optioned car... maybe 1997-2002 era, anyone remember that?

The reason that worked is because the circuits and computer controllers were NOT retooled and/or totally incompatible with the mating car. Like a 99 gp gtp fully loaded with hud totalled out could donate dash and components necessary to install into a virgin dash. same car basically, same generation hardware.

Same thing with the grand prix digital dic conversion, which I can proudly claim I successfully implemented. However, looking back, wow, all that work done to gain a "digital engine oil life digital percentage remaining monitor" ... lol.

Some may argue that my interior conversion to my g8 is similar... alas, I took it as far as I wanted to and am happy with the interior as she sits.

Anyways, I digress.

The platform incompatibilies (and probably steering wheel shaft compatibility also) is what you're up against.

To my understanding, thats the challenge to overcome here, since you're talking the VE to the VF ,different generation.

Till then, my gxp wheel and console mounted bumpstick for manual fits the bill for me.

zep

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!

post #104 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM

Saw my first one in person at the Philly auto show. The wife was not impressed by it at all and neither was I. The only thing she did ask was if the seats would work in my car. I recently swapped a set of WS6 seats into my blazer xtreme so I think she's a fan of the bolstered seats now. LOL

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.
post #105 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 AM

Plug n play for the backup camera mod? Would like to use the LCD screen for something other than black and red radio and XM stations....maybe need the camera with harness and VIM from another vendor?
post #106 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
global a ! = commodore ve.

I do recall a Grand Prix hack mod where you,could retrofit a hud to an otherwise non-hud-optioned car... maybe 1997-2002 era, anyone remember that?

The reason that worked is because the circuits and computer controllers were NOT retooled and/or totally incompatible with the mating car. Like a 99 gp gtp fully loaded with hud totalled out could donate dash and components necessary to install into a virgin dash. same car basically, same generation hardware.

Same thing with the grand prix digital dic conversion, which I can proudly claim I successfully implemented. However, looking back, wow, all that work done to gain a "digital engine oil life digital percentage remaining monitor" ... lol.

Some may argue that my interior conversion to my g8 is similar... alas, I took it as far as I wanted to and am happy with the interior as she sits.

Anyways, I digress.

The platform incompatibilies (and probably steering wheel shaft compatibility also) is what you're up against.

To my understanding, thats the challenge to overcome here, since you're talking the VE to the VF ,different generation.

Till then, my gxp wheel and console mounted bumpstick for manual fits the bill for me.

zep
I had a 1999 GP GTP that was only missing the leather seating option. Had everything else however.

Yeah, I remember seeing a bunch of guys getting GTP dashes and putting them in their SE grand prixs for the HUD and DIC. Honestly only the HUD was really worth it. I still miss that in the G8 however the information screen in the center of the cluster works pretty well.

For us, well all the wiring and such is completely devoid on our cars, so there really isn't any hope of getting an SS dash and just hooking up the HUD to work for us. Enough was changed between VE and VF to make retrofit of anything a tough sell.

2018 Red Quartz Tintcoat GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Ultimate
2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/3/18*
2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Sold 7/7/16*
2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT *Sold 6/11/14*
post #107 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:18 PM

I checked this car out at the Chicago Auto show and liked it a lot more than I thought. I still don't think it is worth the upgrade given that it will probably cost $30k + trade-in to get. It just so happened that on the way down there one pulled up next to me on the highway. Couldn't play much as there was a lot of traffic, but he definitely knew the g8 and took off a few times. Sure sounds good stock.

While at the auto show though, I messed around with it a bit. The seats IMO are nothing special in terms of comfort. I REALLY liked the feel of the paddle shifters and steering wheel compared to my car. I wonder how hard it would be to get the same paddles in the g8. The interior is also quite a bit nicer, although that is to be expected. I would love to have the extra little goodies that the SS offers but every time I look at it, I just can't help but see that price. The g8 was awesome as IMO there was nothing else at that price that really competed with it, the SS, not so much.

2008 G8 GT - White Hot #379

Audio | IMGUR ALBUM | JBL MS-8, JL HD 900/5 (Active to fronts), Focal KRX2 woofers, ScanSpeak Illuminator Tweeters, JL Audio c2-350x Center, JL 12W6 Subwoofer, Custom fiberglass spare sub box by NDM, Second Skin Damplifier Pro on doors and trunk
post #108 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 03:01 PM
2009.1 Liquid Red G8 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker989 View Post
Plug n play for the backup camera mod? Would like to use the LCD screen for something other than black and red radio and XM stations....maybe need the camera with harness and VIM from another vendor?
I like the idea of a factory camera. I don't think it was ever a factory option on the VE. Anyone have pics? Where does it mount? Part #?

2009.1 Liquid Red GT Premium/Sport w/Sunroof
Front Plate Delete, Bass mod, Partial Debadge, Cargo Liner & Weathertech Digitalfit floor mats,
Pat G Tune, GTPprix's Atari Gauge Mod & OEM Bluetooth & VIM, Leather sliding center console cover, Pace Performance Jack Kit and full size spare, Rotofab CAI and rad cover, Mobil 1 Oil cap, GXP axlebacks.

1 of 2717
post #109 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 06:07 PM

Anyone know if the stock SS mufflers are a direct bolt on for the G8? The gxp mufflers have skyrocketed in price and I'm wondering if this would a viable option.

Dissregard, I found the answer here
https://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...ht=ss+mufflers

post #110 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Anyone know if the stock SS mufflers are a direct bolt on for the G8? The gxp mufflers have skyrocketed in price and I'm wondering if this would a viable option.

Dissregard, I found the answer here
https://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...ht=ss+mufflers
Different connections. I think the shape is right, but youd have to weld the pipe or add a flange to the mufflers.
post #111 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG8 View Post
Different connections. I think the shape is right, but youd have to weld the pipe or add a flange to the mufflers.
this is correct, the SS mufflers are connected to the midpipes and are not a separate peice like the GT and GXP setup.

2008 MGM G8 GT Premium Package / Black-Red Leather
Vararam, OBX Longtubes and Catback, Kooks Axelbacks, RCR Thumper cam, LS3 heads, RCR tuned, Brembo Brakes all around, GXP front end conversion, GXP FE3 suspension, Eibach Springs.
and more to come eventually
post #112 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 12:56 PM
G8/LSX n00b

Did anyone mention the SS shift paddles can be retrofitted into the G8?

09.1 G8 GT, 20x9.5/10 RD Sport RS-5's, 255/30 & 275/30 sumitomos, magnaflow catback, Kooks mids w/cats, Crawford ported TB/manifold, Spectre 4"/LS7 MAF, Rotofab, HID's, Aussie SV6 tails, GXP front bumper, GXP rear diffuser, BMR strut bushings/cradle inserts/sway, Megan Coils, CTS-V 6/4pot Brembos, HSV steering wheel, Klearz corners, HSV map lights, CHenry splitters/tuned

post #113 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:23 PM

Old yhread, but its cool to read through everything and see how things have actually progressed in the real world. Also cool to see some guys' guess what would happen to the SS. Like magnetic suspension and 6-speed manual option.

I know ive seen at least one guy with SS wheels on their G8. It looked pretty good.

Unfortunately, a "souped up" version is a pipe dream. A 2017 model will probably happen, but its not even definite.

An LSA powered SS would be stupid expensive and also probably very difficult to even acquire because of the crazy low production numbers.
post #114 of 114 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:55 AM

Sorry to open an old thread, tried searching with no luck, can anyone confirm if the SS A6 shifter and bezel directly fit the G8? Or if you can do a swap using the entire SS shifter setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2009 G8 GT - Panther Black Metallic - Bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page