source for OEM new TPMS sensors? - Page 3 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Wheels / Tires Sponsored by: Discount Tire

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 03:58 PM

Stopped by Discount Tire to get my new sensors installed today. They used their tool to verify that they could read all four, but once they were installed the system wouldnt learn. I tried myself when I got home, both with the method in the manual and by using the tool I got off Amazon, it still wont learn. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Pontiac Crazy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glt68 View Post
Stopped by Discount Tire to get my new sensors installed today. They used their tool to verify that they could read all four, but once they were installed the system wouldnt learn. I tried myself when I got home, both with the method in the manual and by using the tool I got off Amazon, it still wont learn. Any suggestions?
I couldn't get my new sensors to learn via the manual way, Discount tire had to use the tool. Since both methods failed, I'd think something is faulty with the sensors.

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT
-Kooks 1-7/8 LT, 3" Solo, RotoFab CAI, Full Zeta II suspension with BCs, Monster LT1-S & Tick Master Cylinder, 3.91 w/ TrueTrac
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:06 PM

Their tool could read the sensors on the bench, so I am going to disconnect the battery tomorrow and see if it helps. I have read of some who had tpms learning problems and they wouldnt learn but disconnecting the battery fixed the issue.

post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:50 PM

Doesn't make much sense. It reads good when in the hand, but not after install. For sure those new transponders are 315 Mtz (or you could probably get by with the 314.9 version also) ? Your saying you have no trouble getting the car to go into the TPMS learning mode ? Even using the EL-50448 tool, the re-program fails ? For sure, the 9 volt battery in your tool is not faulty ? If all the things work from your key fob, then it pretty much tells me that the RCDLR is OK. If the first wheel you are supposed to re-program (left front) fails, you have *no chance* of getting a successful re-program performed. If that is happening to you, try again starting at the right front first (ignore the parking light location). The system actually could care less where you start an finish from, as long as 4 transducers are programed within the time limit allowed.
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 05:00 AM

These are the sensors I bought, they are supposed to be 315 MHz:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...oardconvert-20

This is the tool:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I left Discount Tire, the tech said that it wouldnt learn because the battery in my key fob was dead. I hit the button when I left and it didn't respond, however when I got home and for about a half dozen times since, the remote has worked. I have a pack of 6 CR2032 batteries coming today because both of my Challenger remotes are low, so I will replace that and if all else fails, disconnect the G8's battery. Everything else works, the engineering menu used to just show the 2 bad sensors at 148 psi, now all 4 are at 148. I can get the system to start the learn procedure, two horn honks and the left park light comes on, but thats as far as it goes. This is my first week with this car and I like it otherwise, but this is a bit annoying.

I appreciate all the responses, hopefully I can get this figured out.
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:01 PM

Updating, I changed the battery in my fob, got into the relearn sequence, and the first two relearned in seconds. got to the right rear and nothing. I even jumped over to the left rear and it learned immediately. I called Discount Tire, he agreed that since it read on the bench it shoild be fine, so they offered to try it with their tool.
post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:45 PM

If *they can't* get it to work, maybe you could give them either one of the 2 (supposedly good) previously removed units. Then as a proper courtesy (to correct the condition created on the initial install), have them reinstall that transponder, air up the tire, positioning it at the hub location, then perform a re-learn. If all goes well, they can then re-balance the tire/wheel assembly (if necessary), and install it. This would allow you to move on with an operational TPMS system for now. With the proviso that they will (at no charge to you), install your new replacement transponder an complete the job as above (if you choose to have the vendor send you a new one for the dud you may have gotten from them).
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:09 AM

Time to disconnect the battery and start again. Discount Tire could read the RF, LR and the RR which is the one my scanner wouldn't pick up, but they couldn't read the LF, which my tool picked up in just a couple seconds. The plot thickens.
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 09:03 AM
JAM

Not saying it will fix your dilemma, but if you want to try a stronger signal from your remote, use two 2016 batteries rather than one 2032.

JAM
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 02:39 PM

Got home today and went through the relearn process with the ELM tool again and it was able to read all four. The process took less than a minute. The only difference it that it is in the mid 40's outside and I did this immediately after a 40 mile ride home.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:35 PM

Keep us updated since relearning new tire pressure sensors shouldn't be this difficult and can't help but wonder if they are genuine AcDelco's. Based on many of the reviews, it seems to be a common problem.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:22 AM

Lightbulb AC Delco 13598771

I just thought that I'd post an update to this thread, since I had a TPMS sensor failing and needed new ones. Luckily, I also needed tires.

I purchased the AC Delco 13598771 sensors from Amazon (4 pack) and they worked fine on my 2009 G8 GT.

I bought new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires (the 100Y higher load rating ones) from Costco, and they installed the sensors at no extra cost. (And I had them save the old ones for me.) I left the TPMS configuration instructions in the car, but I don't know if they used them or not, but they are configured. I no longer have the error, the tires read the correct pressures on the dash.

I only have about 50 miles on the tires, but they feel a lot better than the Goodyear GS-A's that have been on the car since I bought it used over two years ago.
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrevans View Post
I just thought that I'd post an update to this thread, since I had a TPMS sensor failing and needed new ones. Luckily, I also needed tires.

I purchased the AC Delco 13598771 sensors from Amazon (4 pack) and they worked fine on my 2009 G8 GT.

I bought new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires (the 100Y higher load rating ones) from Costco, and they installed the sensors at no extra cost. (And I had them save the old ones for me.) I left the TPMS configuration instructions in the car, but I don't know if they used them or not, but they are configured. I no longer have the error, the tires read the correct pressures on the dash.

I only have about 50 miles on the tires, but they feel a lot better than the Goodyear GS-A's that have been on the car since I bought it used over two years ago.
Just did the same tires!! I love them! Best all-season tire that exists... more grip than most summer tires!
Dealer charged me $100 for one new TPMS valve stem, replaced the wrong one, so I got a second one free. No matter how many times they programmed it, it would start dinging at me 10 minutes later. Programmed it myself using the deflate-method, and haven't had any issues in weeks (fingers crossed).
jrevans likes this.
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlingy View Post
...Dealer charged me $100 for one new TPMS valve stem...
$100 for a valve stem?

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlingy View Post
...Dealer charged me $100 for one new TPMS valve stem...
$100 for a valve stem?
Tpms sensor...
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:13 AM

Factory sensors are not that expensive, and often cheaper than the ones from the tire stores.

I run the A/S3 + On a Saab 9-3 Combi

The extra load rating is required for the VE/VF platforms as well as some other vehicles.

2014 Chevy Cruze
2013 Chevy Avalanche
2009 Pontiac G8
2009 Saab 9-3 Combi
1988 Volvo 740
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:27 AM

Got it and that's a wee bit rich for one sensor. However, getting two makes the price easier to stomach.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:04 AM

TPMS and tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEngineer View Post
Factory sensors are not that expensive, and often cheaper than the ones from the tire stores.
Agreed. I am glad that I grabbed the AC Delco parts instead of generics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEngineer View Post
I run the A/S3 + On a Saab 9-3 Combi
The extra load rating is required for the VE/VF platforms as well as some other vehicles.
I've put over 1000 miles on the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 100Y tires, and am totally happy with them. Costco put a butt-load of nitrogen fill in these things, with the tires setup for max load rating (I believe 39psi in the fronts and 42psi in the rears) but it doesn't seem to affect the ride quality, so I'm leaving it.

I don't drive this car in the winter, so was tempted to get a summer only tire, but I do drive the car when it's cold out (before the salt starts going on the roads) and previous experience with high performance summer tires (car and motorcycle) has taught me that summer tires tend to get rock hard and slippery when it's cold out, so I went with these instead.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrevans View Post
I've put over 1000 miles on the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 100Y tires, and am totally happy with them. Costco put a butt-load of nitrogen fill in these things, with the tires setup for max load rating (I believe 39psi in the fronts and 42psi in the rears) but it doesn't seem to affect the ride quality, so I'm leaving it.

I don't drive this car in the winter, so was tempted to get a summer only tire, but I do drive the car when it's cold out (before the salt starts going on the roads) and previous experience with high performance summer tires (car and motorcycle) has taught me that summer tires tend to get rock hard and slippery when it's cold out, so I went with these instead.
Dealer overfilled my tires too. I bumped mine back down to the recommended pressures. I trust engineers over tire mechanics...
Also same, where I live there is no salt or snow, but it does go below freezing. I go back and forth, yes the summers get slick as ice in the cold, but boy do they stick the other 3 seasons. I put all seasons on the G8 since it does more daily driving than any sportscar duties in my household.

As a note if anyone else reads through this and wonders about load ratings, the OEM sized 18"s are 100Y and the 19's are 98Y, but there are actually some 94V's in 19 that are also acceptable, but cost basically the same so you might as well pick the higher load ones. TireRack shows a $2 price difference. 94 holds 1477lbs/tire, or a 5908 lb gross, and 98 holds 1653lb/tire or a 6612 lb gross weight. Plus the Y speed rating means you can go 186mph instead of just 149mph. Not that anyone should ever do that...
jrevans likes this.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:09 PM

I run a dedicated snow package on the Saab and leave the A/S3+ on for the rest of the year.

I have the A/S3 on another set of wheels i just picked up which may end up on the GXP for fun. I like the tire, i have 2 near new 255/35/19 A/S from 2011 that I may toss on a pair of wheels for "fun"

2014 Chevy Cruze
2013 Chevy Avalanche
2009 Pontiac G8
2009 Saab 9-3 Combi
1988 Volvo 740
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page