Winter Driving - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Winter Driving

I have a G8 V6. I believe it has 17s for the tires. I just bought the car a week ago. I live in Western Wisconsin and it recently snowed. My drive I'm was aweful today. My trunk is empty as I wanted to see how it would handle with no weight. I love driving in the snow and my previous car was an '05 Grand Prix which did good in the winter. This is my first time driving a RWD car so I'm hoping to get used to it. I need suggestions on how much weight to add in the trunk. I do not want to buy winter tires. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:06 PM

I have driven on all season tires through the last 4 NE winters with my G8. It isn't a problem so long as the tread is good. This was true with the Portenzas and my Conti DWS tires. Your real issue is going to be learning how to handle a RWD car in bad weather. FWD is way easier to drive in the snow. That said, once you get the hang of it you'll never want to go back.

-Dennis-

2014 Camaro Silver Ice 2LT +RS
2009 G8 V6 PBM Premium+Comfort&Sound = SOLD
mods: Rotofab CAI, mid-muffler and resonator delete, Magnaflow x-pipe: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...d1qRKK_ChAwmZZ
GT brake upgrade: painted G2 black w/BrakePerformance slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic pads.
2000 Maxima Custom M/F Catback, K&N - SOLD
1972 Lemans 350, 4B - SOLD
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:25 PM

Where you about I'm Wisconsin? I live in Stevens Point, drive year round with General Gmax AS03s. Which are essentially the Conti DWSs. Just get good all seasons you'll be fine.

Sent From: A Nuclear Facility

Rotofab
Kooks LT
Solo HFC
Solo Mach
Pedders Street II GSR kit
Livernois 1C Cam DOD Delete
Milled Heads
Ported Intake
Ported Throttle Body

Bolt ons dyno W/Pat G tune: 364/373
After:430/404

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:26 PM

The G8 V6 came stock with 18 inch wheels, not 17. However, somebody may have put aftermarket 17 inch wheels on your car.

I have a hundred pounds of junk (overnight bag, spare tire, tools, etc) in the back of my G8 GT and that seems to be the right amount of weight in the trunk. Adding another 40 pounds didn't improve it noticeably.

Tires are the most important thing. My G8 came with the 19 inch wheels and the summer-only tires, and they weren't kidding about the summer-only part. I bought a set of used OEM 18 inch wheels for winter but the attached stock Goodyear RSA tires were horrible. A week later I bought Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus all-season tires, which are good in southern Ohio but might not be good enough for Wisconsin snow.

Gone but not forgotten: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport. Tune is "Down Under" by Men At Work.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's imput. Sorry, I actually just looked and they are 18's. I really have no clue if they are all season tires or not. I know they just look really low profile and have some wide gaps in them which make me think they are more performance. I live right on the Minnesota/Wisconsin border near the Twin Cities (MN). I noticed today the roads were pretty icy. While trying to make it up a hill on the road - the front just swayed with every bump I hit and as soon as I felt like I had it under control the back end would fishtail a bit. Considering I was commuting my daughter to daycare, it was kind of scared. I know I need to get a better feel for the RWD car in snow/ice but I was hoping to see what anyone would suggest weight wise for sand bags in the trunk.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:45 PM

Tell us what kind of tires they are so we can tell you if they are winter tires. I'm not sure if its just Bridgestone that does this but they have a snow icon somewhere on the tire telling you if its a winter tire or not.

2009 Liquid Red G8 GT Sold!!!

Current: 2013 Camaro ZL1
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 04:48 PM

One husband in the trunk should do it. Two will be better.

But seriously, you should reconsider getting snow tires. Back in the 70s when everything was rear wheel drive and open differentials, I would put a pair of snows on the rear and have no trouble driving through 6 inches of unplowed snow. The rear will feel loose but like the others said you will learn to react to it.

I had an '05 Grand Prix too and a '98.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 05:23 PM

i second snow tires. worthy investment, and idk how comfortable you are with swapping the tires yourself - but local garage can do it for you for like $20 in an hour.

'08 PBM GT
Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, GXP Catback, Custom Tune
Pedders Street I, FE3 Struts
Tints, Sharkfin antenna, passenger seat mod
19" VMR V810 Gunmetal Wheels
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Ins-Z-G8-toR

With the 4 years under my belt in the G8 ive driven through all 4 seasons in Chicago with summer tires. F-ing AWESOME! I have 2 heavy a** subs w/ box, which kind of helps. You get pretty ballsy too whipping the tail out.

09' PBM G8 GT Red/Black Interior-20% Tints-Camaro SS Wheels- 2-12" Alpine Type R Subs w/JL Audio Amp Cam:230/242 .627/.601 112+4 Camaro Trans Oil Pan-B&M Trans Cooler-Spectre CAI-DOD Delete-160 T-stat-OBX LTs
Circle D 3400 Stall-Dynomax 12" Bullet Muffs 432RWHP/403RWTRQ--SOLD
07' LMB C6 Z06-20% Tints-Cam:233/245 .652/.635 113+3-WCCH Stg2 Heads-OBX LTs
AirRaid CAI-Corsa Muffs 561RWHP/508RWTRQ

14' Camaro SS 1Le-20% Tints-Bone Stock
13' Wicked White Evo X--SOLD!
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Hahaha- I like your post 'whatsnext'. Well I rather not get winter tires...I was kinda pulling teeth to get my husband to agree with me buying the car.

Okay, the tires are 245/45/18 eldorado legend tour. This is what I bought the car with. Anyone know anything about these tires?
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Ins-Z-G8-toR

I think youre the first girl encounter here that ive had. Kool Beans

Its an off name company thats for sure. As long as youre getting traction, then youre golden. No need to switch if theres a good amount of thread left.

09' PBM G8 GT Red/Black Interior-20% Tints-Camaro SS Wheels- 2-12" Alpine Type R Subs w/JL Audio Amp Cam:230/242 .627/.601 112+4 Camaro Trans Oil Pan-B&M Trans Cooler-Spectre CAI-DOD Delete-160 T-stat-OBX LTs
Circle D 3400 Stall-Dynomax 12" Bullet Muffs 432RWHP/403RWTRQ--SOLD
07' LMB C6 Z06-20% Tints-Cam:233/245 .652/.635 113+3-WCCH Stg2 Heads-OBX LTs
AirRaid CAI-Corsa Muffs 561RWHP/508RWTRQ

14' Camaro SS 1Le-20% Tints-Bone Stock
13' Wicked White Evo X--SOLD!
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichole View Post
Okay, the tires are 245/45/18 eldorado legend tour. This is what I bought the car with. Anyone know anything about these tires?
A Google search reveals that they are inexpensive private-label all-season tires made by Cooper. I couldn't find any reviews that I trusted.

http://www.eldoradotire.com/tires/De...on=Performance

Gone but not forgotten: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport. Tune is "Down Under" by Men At Work.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I will have to do more research on them. I had never heard of that brand but I have heard of Cooper.

Well that's my problem.... I'm not getting a ton of traction - or maybe it just feels that way because that was my first experience in the ice/snow with RWD. Since it all melted - I haven't gotten any sand or anything yet. Still unsure of how much weight wise I would need for my trunk. There really isn't much weight in the car as far as passengers and myself go so I feel like sandbags would help. But if some of you are saying you are getting good traction on all season tires - and these are all season then I would assume I should be getting good traction.

And by the way - I love my car so far!
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 12:19 PM

I'm in the Green Bay Area and never had to add weight to the trunk, just remember from a stop you have to start slow or even start off in second from a stop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 12:27 PM

You might also want to measure the tread depth of each tire with a depth gauge. I usually take three measurements on the tire, one on each end and the center. If the front tires have significantly more depth than the rear, might help to move them to the rear since the best tires should always be placed on the rear of the vehicle. Fortunately, there are many forum members whom on a regular basis drive or live in snowy/ icy weather, so you've come to the right place for advice. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Yeah I've driven through a few winter storms in Northern IN and all was good. For RWD these cars perform pretty well in the snow. Like stated before as long as you have good tread, all season tires, you'll be fine.

[/URL]
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 02:24 PM

I put 2 50# bags of salt in the trunk and used some 2x4 scraps to make sure they didn''t slide around.

Seems to help but I also have Blizzak winter tires as well.

Details here: https://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29599

2009 G8 Sport Red Metallic, Comft & sound, premium, sunroof

2004 Yellow M6 GTO
375.3 RWHP 352.9 RWTQ
Best ET 12.82 @108.74
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 05:01 PM

Tally one more up for that all-seasons will be fine. Last season drove through some pretty wicked snow storms including one that was about 4-6 inches on the road before it had been plowed, my all-seasons on my v6 performed fine. Keep in mind though that conti dws tires are very highly rated so they might be a lot better than some of the lower end all-seasons out there.
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 05:54 PM

I live in Toronto we do not get a lot of snow, but I put on winter tires and they make a big difference especially when you need to stop. I have never driven my car with all seasons in the winter so I can not really comment on it. I know below 43 Fahrenheit (metric here 6 Celsius) the winter tires with their compounds make a big difference.
Not sure how cold it gets there but below 33 F all season's traction is not very good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Winters here range from 30s F to -40 F. I didn't realize all seasons would react differently with temp. I still haven't driven on a snow packed road yet- when I wrote this post it snow a bit and we had freezing rain. I suppose no car handles well with freezing rain. It's good to read everyone's input though. I'm glad to hear a lot of you drive the g8 in winter also. Looks like I just need to get a little more comfortable driving RWD in snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
new g8 driver , snow , weight , winter driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page