v6 owners: apologizing vs akwardly nodding - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

v6 owners: apologizing vs akwardly nodding

So i got sick of apologizing and explaining that my car has a v6 to random people who don't know of the different trim levels, so i said to myself, I'm done apologizing for my car.
Oddly enough this now creates an akward situation where the person goes on and on about the power i have, how fast i must go through rear tires and get excited about wanting to hear my engine. Now if i just akwardly nod my head and dont say anything, i'm faced with a situation where its like i'm hiding a dirty little secret that i have a v6.
this sucks! haha.
comments from v6 owners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:23 PM

if its any consolation, 9 out 10 people who comment on my GT or I overhear talking about it automatically assumes it a GXP.

2009.5 Liquid Red GT Premium/Sport
TSW Nuburgrings
VMAX TB
Rotofab
91 Cortex tune
X-pipe Super 44's catback,
Camaro 3.27's
[email protected] DA -1200
new mods
Pypes LT headers/ Pat G tune
[email protected] DA 700
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:53 PM

Your secret is safe with me : )

Just supercharge it and problem solved

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:55 PM

could be worse, they could assume it's comparable to a g6

100 Shot, Pacesetter Longtubes, no cats, no resonators, x-pipe, stock mufflers.
Need help installing control arms, rear cradle bushings, nitrous, headers, exhaust, intake? PM ME!!!
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:59 PM

If they don't ask... I don't tell... Hehe

2009 MGM G8 Base. Comfort and Sound Package. Premium Package.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 12:49 AM

Looks of a car are all that matters. They are both nice cars in there own way. When I got my v6 I loved it & I still do. I have more people who want to race with my V6 than with my GT. Maybe because it Is blue. I never race either one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 AM

Garage
I personally think the v6 cars look better. look at all the people doing tail lenses swaps, door handles, etc.

to each their own...

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:58 AM

Don't ever apologize for your ride. The G8, in every model, is a beautiful car with unique lines and great handling. The major difference between Base, GT and GXP is power. Power is great, but there is sooo much more to this car than just power.

2014 Camaro Silver Ice 2LT +RS
2009 G8 V6 PBM Premium+Comfort&Sound = SOLD
mods: Rotofab CAI, mid-muffler and resonator delete, Magnaflow x-pipe: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...d1qRKK_ChAwmZZ
GT brake upgrade: painted G2 black w/BrakePerformance slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic pads.
2000 Maxima Custom M/F Catback, K&N - SOLD
1972 Lemans 350, 4B - SOLD
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 08:42 PM

Look at what they drive versus what you drive. More than likely your car is better anyway. V6, V8 these cars look great. The people that talk trash usually drive trash.

-2009 G8 GT, Stryker Blue Metallic; Spectre CAI; Solo axleback; X-pipe; Diablo tune; Koni Sport; Whiteline poly strut mounts, Polished Camaro 20's, DOD delete with LS3 cam
-2009 G8 GT, Magnetic Gray Metallic; Stock (SOLD)
-2007 Saturn Aura XR, Black; Stock
-1998 Trans Am, Black; 3:73's; SFC's; Lowered with Bilsteins all around; AR Torque Thrust II (SOLD! 7-28-17)
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 09:25 PM

Garage
I never apoligized for my Base and never would, V6 mushtange owners don't . So don't do it either.

2009 GT White Hot, AKA CASPER, Superchips 93 octane tune, Volant C.A.I with HSRK,Slotted and cross drilled rotors with ceramic pads,GXP Diffuser,Debadged.Solo axle backs, Coronet 440 style tips
Dyno 4/26/15,343 MAX H.P.,338.6 MAX TORQ
5/13/15 [email protected], 2.03- 60'."WE ARE THE LAST OF OUR KIND"
2009.1 V6 STRYKER BLUE, TRADED IN 1/10/13
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhauler View Post
Don't ever apologize for your ride. The G8, in every model, is a beautiful car with unique lines and great handling. The major difference between Base, GT and GXP is power. Power is great, but there is sooo much more to this car than just power.
Amen!

The G8 is a great car no matter the powertrain. It still has more room than any other "normal" car on offer in North America, and it handles better than the new Charger by a long shot (Chargers, by the way, are usually V6 powered, too, and people don't apologize for those LOL). You'll never get left behind in traffic with the V6, even if you don't win many stoplight races.

I think calling the car the "G8" was stupid because it implanted this vision that the cars should all be 8-cylinder-equipped. If they had called it the Bonneville, it would have been a whole other story.

And yes, I'm tired of having G8s being called G6s by the masses. Again, stupid marketting with the "Gx" scheme.

2009 G8 GT in MSM: no sunroof, no sport package, no leather... just the standard-equipment "yee haw"!

Mods: K&N air filter, AEM Brute Force short-ram, Solo Mach Balanced + HFCs + resonators, Livernois ECM/TCM tune(s), gorgeous wife mod
Other cars:
1996 Caprice Classic: dark cherry, LT1, B4U
1977 Mercury Cougar XR7: light jade metallic, rare 302/low-option Ontario car
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:13 PM

Garage
I'm with everyone else on here. I get excited whenever I meet someone with a G8 (V6, GT or GXP) ,my enthusiasm is the same because it is an AWESOME car!

2009 PSM GT
K&N CAI, Pacestter LT's, Cat Delete, 231/243 114 LSA Cam Motions, LS3 Heads, 3600 Stall, Pedders Suspension, Powerlabs Dyno Tune by Jeremy Bird
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2009 MGM GT (SOLD)
Vararam CAI, Pacesetter LT's, Muffler Delete, Powerlabs Dyno Tune by Jeremy Bird
354 HP
370 TQ
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
I personally think the v6 cars look better. look at all the people doing tail lenses swaps, door handles, etc.

to each their own...
Agreed. I've swapped my tail lights - I liked the look of the red tails better than the clear. I find that over time, the appearance of my car is changing, and the chrome is slowly disappearing. I expect that I'll be doing V6 door handles next.

As others have said, V6/GT/GXP... all are great looking, great handling cars.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2009.1 GT
Liquid Red
Premium and Sport Pkgs. with sunroof
LS3 cam DOD delete
Roto-Fab CAI
GXP Axle-backs, Bumper & Diffuser
SOLO Cats; X-pipe mid-muffler delete
CTS-V2 Brakes, Hawk HPS pads, Russell Braided Steel Lines
Koni Yellows and Tein Greens
Holden badges
V6 Tails
VG Sharkfin Antenna
Factory bluetooth conversion
Trailblazer mirror upgrade
Bremmer Kraft BR05 rims 19x9 matte black w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sports 265/35/19 square
Custom Holden center caps

Pat G Tune 371 RWHP 360 RWTQ
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:59 PM

Garage
Gotta say, I don't understand the dislike of the chrome doorhandles - looks classy as heck to me, to have body colour with chrome accents! But, to each his own . The fact is no G8 looks cheap or like a rental car!

2009 G8 GT in MSM: no sunroof, no sport package, no leather... just the standard-equipment "yee haw"!

Mods: K&N air filter, AEM Brute Force short-ram, Solo Mach Balanced + HFCs + resonators, Livernois ECM/TCM tune(s), gorgeous wife mod
Other cars:
1996 Caprice Classic: dark cherry, LT1, B4U
1977 Mercury Cougar XR7: light jade metallic, rare 302/low-option Ontario car
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper9ren View Post
So i got sick of apologizing and explaining that my car has a v6 to random people who don't know of the different trim levels, so i said to myself, I'm done apologizing for my car.
Oddly enough this now creates an akward situation where the person goes on and on about the power i have, how fast i must go through rear tires and get excited about wanting to hear my engine. Now if i just akwardly nod my head and dont say anything, i'm faced with a situation where its like i'm hiding a dirty little secret that i have a v6.
this sucks! haha.
comments from v6 owners?
There is a solution, upgrade to the gt or gxp, problem solved.

2008 G8 GT Black with permium/sports package.
Show(so far): Powder coated gloss black 19" stock wheels. 35% tints in front 25% in back. Red painted calipers.
Go(so far): Roto Fab CAI, Pacesetters LT/catless, muffler/res deletes, VMS ECM/TCM tune

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 02:03 PM

I was at Safeway last week and fooling around with a bag on the passenger seat (light, not heavy) when there was a sudden knocking on my door window. I was startled and turned to see a SFPD officer there. I thought, "Oh, f***, what'd I do? I'm parked" and put the window down. He said "You've changed your Pontiac over to a Holden." I said something very intelligent like "Yeah". Then he started talking about how fast they are. I told him mine is a V6 but I have no complaints about lack of power. He said something else about how good it looked and walked back to fugly Taurus black & white.

d

'08 G8 - VE Commodore SV6 - HW, Sunroof, Premium, Comfort & Sound
Mods: Commodore Conversion (Front Bar/Grille, Bonnet, Spoiler, Badges, Wheel Centre Caps) Steering Wheel Airbag, Holden Cluster, Leather Console Lid, Holden Shift Knob; Auto-Dimming Mirror (w/o airbag nag), S2 IQ Radio, VG Shark Fin
, Aspheric Door Mirrors, Exterior Boot Release, GMH Rear Window Sunshade, GMH Radiator Cover, GT Boot Lid Liner, GT 2.92 L.S.D., Parking Sensors, Reverse Cam.

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Great comments on here, yeah I am in love with every aspect of my car other than it being slightly less powerful than i'd like, (yet of course the power is sufficient for sporty driving and passing cars) I do have a feeling that here in the next couple years when I get a 2012 car or newer, whether it be a german car or another full size american sedan, I'll probably sighhh and reminisce of the days of my g8 and miss it. (which now as i write this, maybe i'll never get rid of it.)
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhauler View Post
I SECOND THAT MOTION!!! Be proud of whatever G8 you own!

Joe Morgan, G8 GXP Registry Organizer, G.O.N.E. Organizer 2010-2013
2009.5 G8 GXP WH 6M onyx/red no roof 12.921 @ 108.89 BONE STOCK! (then), 12.344 @ 110.92 with 1.688 60' at 766' DA, PB with new cam & tune - 12.191 @ 112.35 with 1.693 60' at 1319', 2:59 lap time at Road America on RS-As, 143.1298 mph NoFlyZoneMidwest 2017 1/2 mile into 20 mph headwind. RACECAR NOW RETIRED. All of these are final PBs.

VCM OTR CAI, HSRK, Heater Hose Relocate, custom street/dyno tune by oldskoolgp, Comp Cams 224/228 .581"/.588" 112 LSA cam, LS7 lifters, PAC 1219x springs, Monster LT1S (C7 Corvette) Clutch kit, Katech C6 Hvy Dty Master & Slave Cylinders, Camaro 1LE Diff with 3.91 gears, Kooks LTHs, Solo Hi-Flo Cats & Connector Pipes, Solo Mach Balanced Catback, BMR Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Cradle & Diff Poly Bushings, 2017 Chevy SS front & rear Brembo calipers and rotors.
1 of only 10 built in this combo (1 of 4 this combo with RS-As)& #1497 built of the 1829
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketracer View Post
I SECOND THAT MOTION!!! Be proud of whatever G8 you own!
Indeed! Took my ride out to the open track day at Miller Motorsports Park (world class track) which was full of tons of tight turns and open straightaways, etc and it killed it as far as handling goes. Did very well for a large car around the track.
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 12:01 AM

I understand how you feel. Most people who see my car have never seen a G8 which makes me feel good. Others who have seen a G8 think it's a GT until they see the tails, which creates a pit inside me somewhat. Luckily I am buying the Sonar Spyder tails http://www.amazon.com/Spyder-Auto-ALT-YD-PG808-LED-BK-Black-Light/dp/B005R4LPD0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407646630&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=sonar+spyder+g8+taillights so it creates even more confusion. I still love my v6 though. I've hit 131mph and I have a project car I am working on to go faster. So my v6 is all I need, I love it.

2009 G8 3.6L LY7 - Premium Sound and Comfort Package w/ Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
g8 assumptions , v6 horsepower , v6 vs v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page