First G8 Road Trip - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

First G8 Road Trip

Hello everyone this is my first post so I'd like to introduce myself. I've had a 2001 Malibu I bought used for 7 years and it finally died at the end of winter! I was actually pretty happy about that and began car shopping. I was actually kind of dead set on a 2008 Buick Lacrosse 'Super' I found but went with the G8. Its the V6 and I don't know if a V8 GT, a CTS-V or a Chevy SS are in my future but I plan on having this for at least a few years. Now that that is over I wanted some advice on how I can make this long trip, SE Michigan to SW Virginia practical. My car has 70k miles on the dot, what should I check/change before and/or after the trip? It will be aprox 1300 miles round trip. I also plan on driving through the mountains not through Pennsylvania and south because whats the fun in going 17mph behind a buggy? Does anyone live in southern Ohio or West Virginia and can tell me some fun roads? Thank you in advance.
-Dylan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 02:32 AM

Garage
Welcome to the site! The G8 is a great car for road trips. Just check the fluids and other general wear items before you go, but a couple thousand miles shouldn't be a big deal on a well maintained vehicle.

There are quite a few fun roads back-and-forth across the Appalachians. Depending on how much time you have for the drive, I can suggest enough detours to make your head spin.

Here are a couple of the write-ups from that area during my 2011 Road Trip:
Post-GONE Day 6
Post-GONE Day 7
Post-GONE Day 8

-Todd...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the reply. I planed on going through George Washington, is that where skyline drive is? Looks like you had a great trip but did you figure out what was causing the error and limp mode?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 05:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmindsthink View Post
I planed on going through George Washington, is that where skyline drive is?
I'm not too sure where George Washington is, but Skyline Drive (and the Blue Ridge Parkway to the south) covers the western border of Virigina. Depending on where you're going there, it's a nice North/South route. Note: Skyline is not a "fast" road, being in a national park the speed limits are quite low and depending on the time of year can have lots of tourist traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmindsthink View Post
Looks like you had a great trip but did you figure out what was causing the error and limp mode?
It was a great trip. In 2012 I went on an even longer trip, but focused on the Pacific North West. Yeah, the error/limp mode was traced back to an issue with some wiring associated with the supercharger install... replaced a connecter with hard wire... not been an issue since.

-Todd...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Glad to hear your problem was easily fixed. I took a look at the map and decided im going to take the entire skyline drive. Where I am headed, Roseland, looks to be about 45 minutes from the south exit. The return trip home will be through west Virginia and ohio. That being said, WV seems to be the place ill do my exploring, any ideas?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:20 PM

Welcome to the board man. Have a safe trip .

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page